Thread: Flames

Real Name
    Mario

Flames

How would you, personally, go about taking a picture of a flame. Is there anything special about it? I'm just curious. I came across an image taken at a Hibachi grill and I was fascinated.

By ZRX1200R

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zrx1200...l-59626241@N00
    Last edited by Mario Xavier; 13th December 2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: adding a link

Re: Flames

I'd use spot metering on the flame. That might make the rest of the shot area quite dark so I'd use some flash light to illuminate that area. It all depends on the effect you want to achieve. I'd shoot it in manual mode.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

In a digital world I'd simply start with a "best guess", and and go up or down a few stops from there.

Just watch for colour shift due to clipping though (would pay to err on the side of under-exposure).

Real Name
    John

If you know of any up and coming Hibachi chefs, you can get them to demonstrate the onion volcano numerous times. If you plan to practice in a restaurant the maximum opportunities would be about three per hour. I guess a candle would be the best place to start and expand from their. If your room is totally dark plan on using a tripod, different shutter speeds, and different ISO levels.