Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: An assortment of snapshots

Real Name
    Steve

An assortment of snapshots

I heard it said recently; if you are pushed for time or just plain fed up, take the shot anyway.
    I was indeed tired and cold due to having to wait 45 minutes for a ten second break in traffic to get a pic of a christmas tree.
    I aim to get at least one good pic and I knew I had that of a streetlamp lit scene, but remembered to take the pic when I got to Lichfield city centre.

The last one looks quite good.

All 800 iso f2.8 17mm and around 1/20.

Re: An assortment of snapshots

Oh, dear! I just think the UK is gorgeous in so many ways; so, any photo of it is thrilling to me. I think they're wonderful! It's "funny" to see the streets decorated and glowing for Christmas but so empty.

(I LOVE the photo of the church in the Christmas thread, too!) I'll get around to mentioning it....)

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Katy, I think everybody was going home.

Real Name
    Elise

I like #1 and #3 -- there's something about the emptiness with all those festive lights. Good job of making the best of a situation that sounds as if it was frustrating.

Real Name
    Stu

Steve, I like your exposure in all the images, and you have brought out the colours very well. The comps work well too.

Real Name
    Steve

Thankyou Elise and Stu; I was a bit surprised by the traffic around the Cathedral, one girl explained from her car it happens every evening when they just go round and round, she said she was holding them up for me but I explained I had a wide angle lens and the lights were still visible.

Being a love next time round she stopped further down and switched her lights off. I love it. Don't understand the driving round and round though, very odd.

Real Name
    Raylee

These are great Steve - very atmospheric. I can feel the cold and damp and the expectation of xmas.

Can I ask where they are taken?

Cheers

Real Name
    Steve

My favourite city, as big as a village; Lichfield.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichfield_Cathedral

I can remember being in the Cathedral late, waiting for a girl praying at the shrine to St Chad, when she was gone I got on with my photograph but noticed a commotion out of the side of my eye, around the Robinson statue.

Then I found I was on my own, in the dark, in a Cathedral, and I shouted HELLO and there wasn't any reply. I couldn't see how anybody could disapear so quick.

So I did pretty smartish.

Real Name
    Steve

Great shots The colors and lighting are excellent

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Steve.

Hi Steve

I think they're all good also. I like no. 2 & no. 4 best. I like the texture of the paving slabs & the air of expectancy. I like your daring too, having ambulatory probs.

Cheers
    Nihia

Real Name
    Steve

Thankyou Nihia; one has to get out and take some exercise but the backpack is a bit heavy and with it being cold and wet nowhere to sit down hence the hand held snaps.
    I intended to put a lot of ND filters on and choosing a small aperture take a very long exposure to blur out the people, but fatigue got to me and I really was held up 45 minutes by car drivers just driving round in circles around the cathedral.

I think in that time the weight of the lens on the tripod caused me to lose the top of a spire, a disaster but I made it very dark up there to mask it. Anyway it is all good practice