Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My first dragonfly

Real Name
    Raylee

My first dragonfly

My first dragonfly

I know it's not fantastic but hopefully this is just the beginning because I love dragonflies. I was using my 24-105 lens, hand held, a bit of wind about.

Re: My first dragonfly

...and so it begins. Congratulations! It's lovely! I'm sure that Dave would be able to better comment but I love its eyes and its legs and the way it's holding on to the blade of grass (or whatever that is.)

Real Name
    Kay

Yep Dave's our man for this one, but I love a green background with anything in front of it - but this one, the way it looks like hands holding grabbed me too

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Raylee,

That's a really excellent first 'dragonfly' post. Composition is good, nice 'simple and soft' background, good focus and sharpness on subject - you wouldn't know it was windy from this.

Obviously would have been better without the foreground obstruction across the tail, but it isn't covering anything too significant.
    Just a step more to your right - which I'm sure you don't need me to say, and either wasn't possible, or it flew off ... such are the trials of stalking these things.

Was it much of a crop from full frame? I ask because you have done very well getting that close with only a max of 105mm.

There might be some small improvement possible in PP from RAW, but the casual observer probably wouldn't notice it.

I can see I have some serious competition from 'down under'
    It shows it is possible to get these at 105mm, so I'd better put my macro lens on instead of the 70-300mm next spring.

Well done,

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Raylee,

That's a really excellent first 'dragonfly' post. Composition is good, nice 'simple and soft' background, good focus and sharpness on subject - you wouldn't know it was windy from this.

Obviously would have been better without the foreground obstruction across the tail, but it isn't covering anything too significant.
    Just a step more to your right - which I'm sure you don't need me to say, and either wasn't possible, or it flew off ... such are the trials of stalking these things.

Was it much of a crop from full frame? I ask because you have done very well getting that close with only a max of 105mm.

There might be some small improvement possible in PP from RAW, but the casual observer probably wouldn't notice it.

I can see I have some serious competition from 'down under'
    It shows it is possible to get these at 105mm, so I'd better put my macro lens on instead of the 70-300mm next spring.

Well done,
    Thanks Dave. I did crop quite a bit. I just need to find more of the little buggers.

Real Name
    Elise

Congratulations -- we don't have a lot of dragonflies around here, and I've never been able to catch one of the little buggers --

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

He doesn't!

Congrats Raylee, that's a beauty. The hairs on the legs. The ? (are they veins or just part of the superstructure adding strength) on the wings. You nailed it. And set it all against a very complementary background.