Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Landscapes!!!

  1. #1

    Landscapes!!!

    Okay, well, I think that I'm heartily sick of landscapes. I am, now, going to let them come to me serendipitously instead of seeking them out. (This isn't to say that I won't be trying to take some scenic drives in the next few days.)

    What is going on with these??? I feel like I'm just not getting them. It was a glorious morning with moments of sun and shifting fog. Why couldn't I get anything?

    I know that this one isn't on the thirds. Is there a desperate rule against symmetry? This is the crop that I liked best (even though it deleted the beautiful blue sky's reflection in the pond.)


    Three Trees

    Landscapes!!!

    This next one - the sun illuminated the patch of colorful trees for just a moment.

    Landscapes!!!
    I don't know. I really just like this last one the best but, maybe, that's because it was a lovely memory for me.

    Landscapes!!!

    I spent so much time on these, if you haven't any insights, I'd be so grateful.
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 7th October 2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: mixed photos up.

  2. #2
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,788
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    I like the last one, but that isn't a landscape. The other two are more difficult, I would say I prefer the top because I like reality, the middle doesn't look as real.

  3. #3

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Katy

    Is there a desperate rule against symmetry
    The thirds rule is not a rule at all but a compositional guideline. There are many cases where images will benefit from ignoring this 'rule'. Actually it is more difficult to produce a pleasing composition that breaks the rule.

    I really like 'Three Trees'. Well exposed and nicely composed. Thirds do not apply to this type of image except that you do have a tree in each third. The central horizon benefits the image in this case. The only slight niggle is that it is a wee bit too closely cropped top and bottom.

    No 2 has stunning colours also but the application of the thirds rule has lessened the impact of the image. So good lesson in breaking the rules all in all. We will make a Ramones fan of you yet

    No 3 is not a good subject matter for me. This is where you need to get right in close and knobble those water droplets

    Okay, well, I think that I'm heartily sick of landscapes.
    Nothing says you have to do them. You can get just as much feel of the place by going close up. I only do landscape shots to remind myself I can still use a camera. I am never satisfied with them

  4. #4
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,723
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I spent so much time on these, if you haven't (sic) any insights, I'd be so grateful.
    What's the main point of interest in the first two? What is it that we're supposed to focus our attention on? They are images that include wonderful colour and reflection, but my eye is wandering all over the place because there's nothing for it to fix on.

    This subject was touched upon fairly recently in another thread (that I can't identify). I think it was Colin who wrote that what might be a beautiful scene to our eyes as we stand there looking at it, is not necessarily going to translate into a high quality photograph. You were looking at a wide, expansive view as you stood there. We're now looking at a tiny fragment of that view presented in a rectangle. That rectangle cannot replicate the whole scene that you experienced. So, you've got to have something in the rectangle that stands as an image in its own right, not just be a portion of something bigger that you experienced.

    As for the third one - What's wrong with it? I think it's gorgeous. A couple of distracting branches in the background, but they can be dealt with once you get into cloning. This picture tells me much more about the environment in which it was taken and captures a mood and an atmosphere much more than the first two.

  5. #5

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    The Claymore clashes with the Redcoat's bayonet I suggest you take the good bits out of my critique and the good bits out of Donald's critique and you will have three very nice images
    Last edited by Wirefox; 7th October 2010 at 09:37 PM.

  6. #6
    Klickit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In a bus somewhere in New Zealand
    Posts
    796
    Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    So there you go - what is one man (or woman)'s wonder is boring for another. Apart from the obvious, it is largely subjective.

    My subjective feelings about these are that the middle image engages me the most, because of the beautiful colour and the light gradation from left to right. I would have cropped out most of the water though, because seeing half a reflection simply distracts my eye from the main beauty in the trees above.

    The top image is a nice record of autumn trees reflected, but it doesn't have the same impact as the second.

    The bottom one doesn't rock me at all, because I can't find a real point of interest.

    BUT....remember....this is an opinion, not a judgement. If I ever sound too harsh, it is because I'm not good at wrapping my thoughts up in warm fuzzies.

  7. #7
    wilgk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Victoria Australia
    Posts
    2,408
    Real Name
    Kay

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    BUT....remember....this is an opinion, not a judgement. If I ever sound too harsh, it is because I'm not good at wrapping my thoughts up in warm fuzzies.
    Kit - give Rob a call - he was right scary until he found his inner 'smiley' button and look at him now....a veritable marsh mellow of animated warm fuzziness

    p.s Katy - I'm with the blokes on this 1 - I think # 3 is you and what you like to shoot - and the reflection and autumn colours in the softer background are just there enough to add to the result

  8. #8

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Well, make up your minds!!! None of you have said anything that I haven't heard or thought before but why is it so hard to see it when it's ourselves???

    I remember in art class in college discussing rhythm and flow and how it isn't always necessarily bad to not have an actual "point of interest". It keeps the eye moving. However..... there IS a point to having a place to rest your eye!

    I do personally seem to "go to town" when there's a small detail. However, in real life i do enjoy a good panorama. I think that landscapes need mood and emotion; so, today, it was so lovely, I thought, "great! This is my moment!" I don't want to give up forever but, I can't hear anything, feel the weather or see peripherally anymore. I'm constantly framing and flattening everything I see. Time to chill out.

    Sooooo, well, anywaaaay, here are some other shots that I didn't cozy up to, at first, but look differently, now that I've heard what you had to say.

    btw, Kit, yours and others' thoughts don't sound sharp or critical at all. We're just all thinking it through and giving our good opinions. I'm good!!!

    Here is the three trees with a softer cut.

    Landscapes!!!

    This next one is the original middle one "uncropped". It looks good with the pond cut out but, somehow, don't have it here. sorry.

    Landscapes!!!

    These next two are less busy and possibly have more story and a place to rest the eye??? Like I said before, I'm seeing them differently, now, that I've read your comments.

    Landscapes!!!

    Landscapes!!!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 8th October 2010 at 04:33 PM.

  9. #9

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Katy

    I do a lot of reflection shots, and I have found that they often work well when I shoot just the reflection, and not the real subject. I then flip the image vertically in Photoshop, and boost the colours (although you don't need to do that with these). When you shoot a reflection scene it's obvious that it's a reflection scene, and yes, they do look pretty, but I try to make them a little more adventurous, like this one... http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregw...7623399309269/

  10. #10

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Katy

    I do a lot of reflection shots, and I have found that they often work well when I shoot just the reflection, and not the real subject. I then flip the image vertically in Photoshop, and boost the colours (although you don't need to do that with these). When you shoot a reflection scene it's obvious that it's a reflection scene, and yes, they do look pretty, but I try to make them a little more adventurous, like this one... http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregw...7623399309269/
    Those are incredible! The puddle with trees and the mirror made my heart stop - rainy days and Wonderland! It makes me think that I need to think outside the box.

  11. #11
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,723
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Those are incredible! The puddle with trees and the mirror made my heart stop ...
    Oh, don't encourage him or we'll never get him to stop.

    I'm doing this on my work-based Tablet PC so can't comment on all aspects of your latest set. But, immediately, one can see that the compositional qualities have moved up several grades. These, in my view, are much more 'complete' images that the first two in the first set at the top.

  12. #12

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Oh, don't encourage him or we'll never get him to stop.
    Oops!

    I'm doing this on my work-based Tablet PC so can't comment on all aspects of your latest set. But, immediately, one can see that the compositional qualities have moved up several grades. These, in my view, are much more 'complete' images that the first two in the first set at the top.
    Great! Gotcha! Good! and, btw, I heard what you said, before, that it's not just something to draw or rest the eye that a scene needs. A scene needs something that evokes what I'm trying to convey. Well, I heard you say something or other like that.

  13. #13
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,723
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    . A scene needs something that evokes what I'm trying to convey. Well, I heard you say something or other like that.
    And if I didn't say it, I should have. But you've very clearly got that notion embedded into your thinking which, in my opinion, puts you several steps up the ladder already.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,080
    Real Name
    Wendy

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Katy: There is nothing wrong with any of these shots, but I know what you mean about trying to get more feeling into them. We have the same type of scenery where I am, and I take soooo many of the same type of shots.

    This year I am trying to get something different. As I drive around I am looking for an area where I can overlook a steep riverbank that is lined with maples and then shoot down through the colours onto the water. Now if there is a bit of mist on the water even better, and if the sun is breaking through highlighting the colours in the trees and backlighting or sidelighting the mist well.... I'd probably faint. Will I ever run into that situation, I don't know, the colour display will soon be over for this year and I have not even found the right spot yet, but I will, and maybe next year I will get the shot.

    Another thing I'm trying is getting close and trying to get nice patterns of different colours - not very successful yet, but what I'm trying to say is, try to visualize different ways to show off the fall colours. I am nowhere near where I want to be yet, but when I look at my shots from this year they are FAR better than what I was doing last year.

    Like Donald said, you are thinking about it, so you are well on your way.

    Wendy

  15. #15

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Katy: There is nothing wrong with any of these shots, but I know what you mean about trying to get more feeling into them. We have the same type of scenery where I am, and I take soooo many of the same type of shots.

    This year I am trying to get something different. As I drive around I am looking for an area where I can overlook a steep riverbank that is lined with maples and then shoot down through the colours onto the water. Now if there is a bit of mist on the water even better, and if the sun is breaking through highlighting the colours in the trees and backlighting or sidelighting the mist well.... I'd probably faint. Will I ever run into that situation, I don't know, the colour display will soon be over for this year and I have not even found the right spot yet, but I will, and maybe next year I will get the shot.

    Another thing I'm trying is getting close and trying to get nice patterns of different colours - not very successful yet, but what I'm trying to say is, try to visualize different ways to show off the fall colours. I am nowhere near where I want to be yet, but when I look at my shots from this year they are FAR better than what I was doing last year.

    Like Donald said, you are thinking about it, so you are well on your way.

    Wendy
    This is just where I'm at with my thinking. I kind of feel like I've seen these shots many times before but I'm trying to do them and learn from them and think about them so that when THE MOMENT comes, I don't miss it. I need to get out and around but we only have one vehicle. My family has been wondering why I've been so absorbed but it's because I only have a few days left. Then, it's on to the next season but the other 3 last much longer - all of them.

    Best wishes getting your shot! I mean - REALLY - I wish you tremendous luck with weather, animals, time of day and the right place. Oh, and that you don't fall in the pond!

    Katy

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,080
    Real Name
    Wendy

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Oh, and that you don't fall in the pond!
    LOL, nope, I've done that already this year!

    Wendy

  17. #17

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    LOL, nope, I've done that already this year!

    Wendy
    Ahhhhhhhh! There's nothing like experience!

  18. #18

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Landscapes!!!



    Oh, and I just might as well throw this one in, too, since it always makes me sigh - you know, happy type. I think it's the reflection of the clouds.

    Landscapes!!!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 8th October 2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: The first one wasn't straight and it was driving me absolutely nuts!

  19. #19
    rpcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    12,478
    Real Name
    Richard

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Landscapes!!!

    The fisherman within me gets excited when I see trout dimpling still waters like in this image... I would love to be out in a float tube with my flyrod and some dry flies to take advantage of this. I am glad that you did not show a trout rising in your image because I would have drooled all over my keyboard...

    I really like your images. Regarding the Rule of Thirds... As mentioned above, it is not a rule but a guidline. Believe me, there are no "Role of Thirds Police" ready to place photographic handcuffs on you.

    However, even when working with mirror images, it is sometimes nice to have either the original or the reflection taking priority. The image with the "three trees softer cut" is also very nice with some of the tops of the trees cropped off placing an added emphasis on the reflection.

  20. #20

    Re: Landscapes!!!

    Thanks for the advice, Richard! Re: fishing in this pond. There are mostly turtles to be caught. Particularly, there is one ancient, huge, mean snapping turtle in there.

    btw, I've really been enjoying your photos of China!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •