Thread: Photography Resources for Beginners

Real Name
    Jen

Photography Resources for Beginners

I had the pleasure of being serviced ( ) with help on my beginner's question. Of course the answer was simple once the brains of this place pointed it out to me, and I mentioned that I wasn't sure how to pay it forward.

Well I realized I do have one way I can help, which is that I understand what it's like to be new to photography! I figured I could start this thread with what has been helpful to me so far, and help some others who are just starting out (and maybe answer some questions before they are even asked?)!

If you have anything to add to the list please add on! If any of this has been posted before I apologize in advance for the doubling, but I did do a quick search and nothing jumped out at me. Without further ado here are my favorite beginner's resources to-date!

Books:
    Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson
    Digital Photography (all 3!) by Scott Kelby
    Note: My local library had all of these, and I think the library is a great resource as you can read them, and then buy only the extremely useful ones for future reference!

Websites (other than this site of course!)
    www.digital-photography-school.com - Posts articles fairly frequently in a wide variety of topics and links back to supporting articles if you need more explanation on a subject
    www.photojojo.com - a fun website with ideas on wacky ways to take photos or what to do with the pictures once they are captured. They released a book but my library doesn't have it, and since I'm cheap I haven't taken the plunge yet to buy it.
    www.diyphotography.net - good ideas for cheap hacks, some of it is better suited for those doing complicated lighting, but things like construction-paper bokeh is accessible to even a super beginner!
    www.dpreview.com - Not sure which camera to buy, or which lens has what features? This website (atleast seems) to know it all. Can get a bit technical, but the comparisons function works well.

Other:
    -Messing with "light painting" might just be the most fun way to understand how to start to work with long exposures. Sparklers, a flash light and some colored tissue-paper created effects ranging from neon-signs to my mom posing as a devilish-angel. Also great fun with kids and pets... there are a ton of articles on it so give it a try!

Anyone else have something to add? A fun project or a good website? What about "I wish someone had told me early on that _______"?

Re: Photography Resources for Beginners

This tutorial is quite comprehensive although, initially, some of it may appear a bit daunting for a beginner http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm

Real Name
    Aldo

What an great idea marchaprl. I had a more egocentric version of this, and more specific to PS. Here But this is great. I just started also, but what's helping me is:

1. An eye opener when learning channels: color = light !
      And every channel on itself is grey, put together it's color. (Did i get this correctly ?)
    2. Lynda.com for Photoshop.
    3. Poor man's Lynda
    4. For al lot of funn with PS look here. (Has more to do with PS then photography)
    5. photo.tutsplus.com
    6. Look what other people do en did, here on this great website and here Why not? if you can have a picture of yours as a wallpaper, good for you.

Real Name
    Jim

Real Name
    Jen

Wow guys these sites are great! Thanks for adding on!

Blues - I have been keeping an eye on your thread... I still have so much to learn about composition and exposure I'm not quite ready to add photoshop to the list, but I know in time I will and your thread is what I'll head back to!

Real Name
    Richard

http://www.prophotolife.com/video-library/

This series of short, free video tutorials has some great information for both beginners and experts...

http://www.lastoliteschoolofphotography.com/

Also has some great tips, although it is slanted towards their equipment...

Real Name
    Johan J Ingles-Le Nobel

I think that many people just don't know how images are judged technically, which is no fault of their own if they just "don't know". Can I suggest that this document from the Royal Photographic Society is worth a read if you're struggling and you've never read up on the criteria that experienced photographers use: http://www.rps.org/resources/downloa...0_CDRom_PC.zip

It's a rather large download in a zip, but once you open and run it, go to tutorials > common picture faults. I think it's a terrific little doc.

Nass

You don't have that as a Mac compatible version do you?

Cheers

Steve

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Nass

You don't have that as a Mac compatible version do you?

Cheers

Steve
    I think the Mac version is inside too, despite the name, suggest you download and have a peek Steve.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

www.kelbytraining.com is an incredible resource, with streaming content from the "who's who" of photography (Scott Kelby, Joe McNally, Moose Peterson, Matt Koslowsky, David Zizer) (and a zillion others).

Taught me 3/4 of what I know

Real Name
    Jim

Nice tutorials on Canon ETTL flash guns.
    http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...canon_flash.do

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Just to add my five penneth! I have learnt so much about Photoshop and Lightroom from Julieanne Kost, who is after all the Adobe evangelist.

http://www.jkost.com/photoshop.html

Real Name
    julius

Great info thank you