Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: This may prove to be worthwhile! HDR Efex Pro

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama USA
    Posts
    135

    This may prove to be worthwhile! HDR Efex Pro

    http://www.niksoftware.com/hdrefexpr...R+Announcement


    As a huge fan of Nik Software plugins, their new (coming in October) HDR Efex Pro just may get me interested in HDR again. Previous positive experience with other Nik products (Viveza, Color Efex Pro, Silver Efex Pro) leads me to wonder if HDR Efex pro will set the new high water mark for HDR software. U point technology in an HDR program. Whoooooot!
    Last edited by Eric M; 26th August 2010 at 12:59 PM.

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1

    Re: This may prove to be worthwhile!

    I must say that I have found Nik software good if used in the right proportion and in the right conditions
    Gatted

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    29
    Real Name
    John T. McDevitt

    Re: This may prove to be worthwhile!

    Looks interesting. Take a look at the video.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: This may prove to be worthwhile!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric M View Post
    Previous positive experience with other Nik products (Viveza, Color Efex Pro, Silver Efex Pro) leads me to wonder if HDR Efex pro will set the new high water mark for HDR software. U point technology in an HDR program. Whoooooot!
    From what I've seen it may well help people to break all speed records when creating "artistic / surreal" (*** cough *** grossly over-saturated, over-processed, un-realistic, visually "nuked" *** cough ***) Images

    I hate to sound negative (again) (perhaps I'm just getting old and grumpy), but I'm finding that programs like this do a lot of damage to the definition of what HDR really is (ie using techniques to capture a wider-range of light than is possible in a single capture, without using special techniques); in the video they stated that (paraphrasing) "it's a way to combine multiple exposures into a composite that looks like the scene the photographer saw when he was there" - and yet NONE of the resultant images looked anything like the scene would have looked like (if I were at a location and saw most of the skies that I see in "HDR" shots I'd start running for the nearest underground bunker and/or nuke-proof shelter (abandoning wife and children, but saving camera and lenses!).

    Programs like this have little to do with HDR and everything to do with creating "artistic / surreal" images - which is fine - just don't call them HDR!

    Grrrrrr.

  5. #5

    Re: This may prove to be worthwhile!

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I hate to sound negative (again) (perhaps I'm just getting old and grumpy)...
    Woa cowboy, you are ticking far too many boxes before time...

  6. #6

    Re: This may prove to be worthwhile!

    Like Colin I think that kind of photography should not be calling HDR

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Posts
    1,089
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

    Re: This may prove to be worthwhile!

    I looked at the Nik site and I am not impressed. HDR is something else and very different.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama USA
    Posts
    135

    Re: This may prove to be worthwhile!

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    From what I've seen it may well help people to break all speed records when creating "artistic / surreal" (*** cough *** grossly over-saturated, over-processed, un-realistic, visually "nuked" *** cough ***) Images

    I hate to sound negative (again) (perhaps I'm just getting old and grumpy), but I'm finding that programs like this do a lot of damage to the definition of what HDR really is (ie using techniques to capture a wider-range of light than is possible in a single capture, without using special techniques); in the video they stated that (paraphrasing) "it's a way to combine multiple exposures into a composite that looks like the scene the photographer saw when he was there" - and yet NONE of the resultant images looked anything like the scene would have looked like (if I were at a location and saw most of the skies that I see in "HDR" shots I'd start running for the nearest underground bunker and/or nuke-proof shelter (abandoning wife and children, but saving camera and lenses!).

    Programs like this have little to do with HDR and everything to do with creating "artistic / surreal" images - which is fine - just don't call them HDR!

    Grrrrrr.
    All HDR software is quite capable of nuking color reproduction right into the cartoon range. While many people love that look, I use it VERY sparingly. What I am excited about is that the Nik Software plugins I have experience with have been very well thought out and intuitive. They are known for quality software. My hope is that the new HDR software will help quickly tonemap images with better control over the color reproduction as well as speed up the workflow over currently offered software (I use Dynamic Photo HDR). Their website is going to go for sizzle, but I am looking through that to see what may prove to be a much improved HDR program over others on the market. Some of the sample tonemaps on the website have more photorealistic color (particularly the greens) than others I have seen and used. Time will tell.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: This may prove to be worthwhile!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric M View Post
    All HDR software is quite capable of nuking color reproduction right into the cartoon range. While many people love that look, I use it VERY sparingly. What I am excited about is that the Nik Software plugins I have experience with have been very well thought out and intuitive. They are known for quality software. My hope is that the new HDR software will help quickly tonemap images with better control over the color reproduction as well as speed up the workflow over currently offered software (I use Dynamic Photo HDR). Their website is going to go for sizzle, but I am looking through that to see what may prove to be a much improved HDR program over others on the market. Some of the sample tonemaps on the website have more photorealistic color (particularly the greens) than others I have seen and used. Time will tell.
    I hope your right Eric - perhaps by default they're catering for a perception that "surreal" is what most people are wanting? ... Although personally, I don't think they do themselves any favours in doing that.

  10. #10

    Re: This may prove to be worthwhile!

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    From what I've seen it may well help people to break all speed records when creating "artistic / surreal" (*** cough *** grossly over-saturated, over-processed, un-realistic, visually "nuked" *** cough ***) Images

    I hate to sound negative (again) (perhaps I'm just getting old and grumpy), but I'm finding that programs like this do a lot of damage to the definition of what HDR really is (ie using techniques to capture a wider-range of light than is possible in a single capture, without using special techniques); in the video they stated that (paraphrasing) "it's a way to combine multiple exposures into a composite that looks like the scene the photographer saw when he was there" - and yet NONE of the resultant images looked anything like the scene would have looked like (if I were at a location and saw most of the skies that I see in "HDR" shots I'd start running for the nearest underground bunker and/or nuke-proof shelter (abandoning wife and children, but saving camera and lenses!).

    Programs like this have little to do with HDR and everything to do with creating "artistic / surreal" images - which is fine - just don't call them HDR!

    Grrrrrr.
    Couldn't agree more.

    My interest in photography is as a VFX artist, been rendering to 32bit formats for quite a few years now. The purpose is to tweak images to look the way they're supposed to look.

    You know you've hit the nail on the head when someone can simply sit back and say "that's a gorgeous image" with no real impression that trickery was involved. If they can pick it out as an HDR, then you failed.

    95% of all "HDR" images I see are basically an exercise in tastelessness.

    The fact that this software includes all these presets is a solid clue as to who it's catered to. And that's NOT to say you shouldn't do creative stuff via HDR imaging techniques, I just shouldn't be INSTANTLY able to say "lol...HDR" when I look at it. Remember; you can have too much of a good thing.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: This may prove to be worthwhile!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lornek View Post
    You know you've hit the nail on the head when someone can simply sit back and say "that's a gorgeous image" with no real impression that trickery was involved. If they can pick it out as an HDR, then you failed.
    My spirits are lifted!

    It's actually quite encouraging to know that there are others out there who actually understand what HDR is really about. A big green "thumbs up" from me!

    PS: Welcome to CiC - great to have you with us

  12. #12
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,323
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: This may prove to be worthwhile!

    A big green "thumbs up" from me!
    and you both get one from me

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •