Thread: Canon EOS 7D video capabilities

Canon EOS 7D video capabilities

Hi,
    I'm considering upgrading to the EOS 7D, and although I will have a need for video with new grand-children and family weddings, I'm wondering if the 7d would meet this need, as I have read that its recording time is somewhat limited. My main interest is still photography, wildlife and landscapes, but video would be useful. Can anyone share their experiences of using the 7d for video, please.

re: EOS 7D

It sounds like the 5D2 might actually be a better choice for you. Not knowing what lenses you already have, its hard to say for sure. I haven't used the 7D yet (My current kit is 40D/50D/5D2), but the 5D2 video quality is great. Understand, either camera will be strictly manual focus for video. That is a limiting factor for some uses. Also, the on board microphone isn't much. You'll probably want an external mic. The video time limit is 12 minutes due to, as I understand it, the FAT 32 format.

That is a tricky decision, particularly with the new 60D rumours growing all the time. Although I don't think there is anything official yet.

All I can really say is that I decided against the 7D because I don't want video; and if I did I would get a 'proper' video camera instead of a 'hybrid'. However, if you just want a couple of minutes video occasionally the 7D might be worth considering.

On a wildlife site that I frequently use, some people say that the 7D is excellent for bird photography while others don't rate it any better than the 50D. But nobody has said that it is rubbish so your decision may well just come down to the video option.

At the moment, I'm sticking with my 40D, at least until the genuine 60D specs are announced.

ps. They are discussing the 7D for bird photography here http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/fo...d-af-test.html
    Last edited by Geoff F; 21st August 2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: link added

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    All I can really say is that I decided against the 7D because I don't want video; and if I did I would get a 'proper' video camera instead of a 'hybrid'. However, if you just want a couple of minutes video occasionally the 7D might be worth considering.
    After shooting my issued 5D2, I'm with you Geoff. As a photographer I really don't have much use for video. Its not just the limitations of dSLR video mode (and there are limitations to work around, as mentioned in my earlier post), its the fact that video isn't my chosen media. My mind is wired for still photos. Others love video in their dSLR, more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    On a wildlife site that I frequently use, some people say that the 7D is excellent for bird photography while others don't rate it any better than the 50D. But nobody has said that it is rubbish so your decision may well just come down to the video option.

At the moment, I'm sticking with my 40D, at least until the genuine 60D specs are announced.
    The specs of the 7D look pretty awesome. That said, the 50D is a fine camera for anyone that doesn't require video capability or high ISO use in very dim light (for that, the 5D2 rules). The 50D has good resolution, speed, AF and build at a fantastic price. The Digic 4 processor works wonders. It is a great crop camera body. I prefer it to my 40D for a variety of reasons, but still have a 40D for backup use. It is is a fine camera too. One of the reasons I didn't buy a 7D was, ironically, the new AF system. The 40/50D AF has performed well for my uses and I didn't want to learn a totally new system.
    Last edited by Eric M; 21st August 2010 at 08:12 PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Dave,

For a given set of lenses, the 7D will give you a lot more reach which is advantagous for wildlife photography, and additionally, it's a far more responsive camera. In terms of video capability, the controls on the 7D are easier to operate for video.

It's interesting that somebody asked David Ziser (wedding photographer extrodinaire and instructor) which he prefers (he has both) ... here is his answer ...

http://digitalprotalk.blogspot.com/2...rk-iii-vs.html

PS: you might like to bookmark this chaps blog - a wealth of free portrait / wedding / business / general shooting advice there.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 24th August 2010 at 02:45 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

There are several reasons that I would consider the 7D (probably as a replacement for my 30D - so I would shoot with the 7D and my 40D) and they are:

1. The improved focus capabilities of this camera. However if they would have incorporated a capability to retain autofocus at f/8; I would snap this camera up so I could use my 400mm f/5.6L with my 1.4x TC and retain A/F. Imagine, an f/8 lens of almost 900mm equivalent with autofocus.

2. Built in flash trigger.

3. High pixel count allowing extensive cropping if desired.

I wish the camera came with an ISO 25 capability to expedite slower shutter speeds (to blur water and other uses) without using an ND filter. I'd rather have this than an increase to a gazillion ISO. However I realise that the tremendously high ISO sells cameras.

I also wish that the camera had a five stop auto exposure bracketing burst like, I believe, some Nikon models have. That would really be nice for HDRI photogrphy.

Two slots for memory cards - so you could either dedicate one for video and one for stills OR using both cards to ensure that no images are lost due to a malfunctioning card (this has only happened to me once but, it was annoying).

The above are quite doable. Here are a couple of pie in the sky thoughts:

A camera which turns on when it is gripped.

And this one is really far out...

Being able to select either the top 1/3 or the top 2/3 of the frame for a lower ISO so that a GND filter would not be necessary. The camera should know if you are shooting in portrait or in landscape position and should have a grid on the sensor to show where the cutoff is located. The 1/3 and 2/3 cutoffs would allow the photographer to follow the rule of thirds...

However, there are a couple of features I am not really interested in...

First off, I am not really interested in video but, that's just my opinion based on my needs.
    I wish that the camera didn't have a built-in flash or the dummy settings.

AND...

I wish that the camera used the same batteries as my xxD cameras...
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 28th August 2010 at 11:29 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Here are a couple of pie in the sky thoughts:

A camera which turns on when it is gripped.

And this one is really far out...

Being able to select either the top 1/3 or the top 2/3 of the frame for a lower ISO so that a GND filter would not be necessary. The camera should know if you are shooting in portrait or in landscape position and should have a grid on the sensor to show where the cutoff is located. The 1/3 and 2/3 cutoffs would allow the photographer to follow the rule of thirds...

However, there are a couple of features I am not really interested in...

First off, I am not really interested in video but, that's just my opinion based on my needs.
    I wish that the camera didn't have a built-in flash or the dummy settings.

AND...

I wish that the camera used the same batteries as my xxD cameras...
    Hi Richard,

I have to say the auto-turn on thing is just not necessary with my Nikon, I switch on the D5000 in the morning, shoot all day, turn it off when I stow it away again in the evening, often a thousand shots later and usually with enough power left to rinse and repeat the next time. OK, I do switch it off momentarily if I change a lens too. My thinking behind this is that it spends a second at each power up and power down shaking dust off the sensor - now that must take power (and time), so there's no point switching off if I might need it within the next 1/2 hour! It works for me

I do like the ISO GND idea though, it would save phaffing with filters. Let's embellish that and ask for an i-Phone style touch screen interface to allow it to be moved about a bit and rotated as necessary for non-horizontal horizons (or shooting angles). Obviously, we'd have this on the LCD, not the front element

I don't see the harm in a built-in flash, it doesn't have to be used and hardly takes up much space, likewise video. I do use my flash, but not the video (yet).

Yes, universal batteries would be nice!
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 23rd August 2010 at 11:56 PM.

Re: Eos 7d

I have been using 7D since October last year and my only issue with it is only the manual focus during video mode. The body form is by far the best since the introduction of EOS system. Viewfinder is bright and its just awesome. I'm a Nikon user (F5) and 7D is beautiful.

Camera is almost the same what ever the brand but how it feel in your hand is not the same. You can have all the AF speed you want, all the ISO range and all the extra little thing it got but if you are still fumbling with the button placement and switches, the camera is not right for you. It should be like an extension of your arm and eyes. To me what makes 7D is the right choice is the how it feels in my hand. TQ.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: EOS 7D

Hi Dave,
    Funny thing, I have never thought of just turning on any of my Canon cameras and leaving them on throughout the shooting day. I just automatically chose a shut down time - not necessarily the default time. I will experiment with just leaving the cameras on the next time I go out and shoot. Since, I always carry a spare battery or two, your system might very well work with my Canon gear as well. It would certainly be an easier way to get grab shots since the camera would never be asleep...

Has anyone used their Canon x0D DSLR cameras by just leaving them on for a day of shooting???

By the way, I totally agree with the above poster in that how a camera "feels" and how the photographer can control the various adjustments is vital to how well the camera functions for any given individual.

I once ventured into the xx0D "Rebel" line when I bought a 350D to use with my 10D. At that time, I had a choice of a new 20D, a used 10D and a new 350D. The 20D was a bit out of my price range since I had just purchased a new house. I wanted to be able to use the "new" EFs lenses, so I selected the 350D over a used 10D. I really disliked using the 350D. The image quality was fine but, many of the conrols were accessed through the menu, there was no top LCD panel for shooting information and the way I held the camera, my thumb would often hit the mode button on the camera's rear. I would trip the shutter and the self-timer would activate. I would say "shucks" (actually a little stronger language) I've done it again! I got rid of the 350D and purchased a refurbished 30D and later a refurb 40D. I have been happy with both these cameras but, prefer the 40D.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 29th August 2010 at 04:41 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Hi Dave,
    Funny thing, I have never thought of just turning on any of my Canon cameras and leaving them on throughout the shooting day. I just automatically chose a shut down time - not necessarily the default time. I will experiment with just leaving the cameras on the next time I go out and shoot. Since, I always carry a spare battery or two, your system might very well work with my Canon gear as well. It would certainly be an easier way to get grab shots since the camera would never be asleep...
    Possible mis-understanding; I do have it set so it auto 'turns off' after say, 30 seconds, meaning the LCD will go blank, but it wakes from this state almost instantaneously with a half press of shutter button, since my eye is usually in the viewfinder by then, and it has started focusing, etc., no shots are missed. I don't have to cycle the power button or anything (as I did with my Fuji) - maybe all Canons are like that anyway.

What I meant is; I don't use the rotating On/Off switch throughout the day, usually not even for lunch break, whereas many shooters in public can be seen/heard shutting down as soon as they've taken a shot and then 'starting up' again everytime they see a new photo opportunity arising.

Apologies for my bad explanation.

Yes, feeling comfortable is important.

Fortunately for me, I have never used a camera with a top LCD, I can see they would be useful, but if I need that, say on a tripod, I can flip my LCD out. So I am currently blissfully unaware of those little extras (like having a front and rear wheel), but I am happy in my ignorance

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 29th August 2010 at 05:14 PM.

The one thing I love about the 7D is that I don't need to use an ST-E2 or Pocket Wizards to remote trigger other flashes.
    THAT would sway it for me. If I wait 3 years I could pick one up for the same price I picked up my used 40d....mmmmm....I think my daughter needs an upgrade

Real Name
    Steve

Has anyone used their Canon x0D DSLR cameras by just leaving them on for a day of shooting???
    Hi Richard, I always use mine switched on all the time. It switches off or goes to sleep after a few seconds anyway.

Real Name
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    THAT would sway it for me. If I wait 3 years I could pick one up for the same price I picked up my used 40d....mmmmm....I think my daughter needs an upgrade
    AFAIK 7D still needs to "see" the other flashes like the ST-E2 so it will not be a replacement for the pocket wizards who work with radio signals.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Eos 7d

No what you really need is a 1d. That is it get a 1d or better a Nikon. 7D is an overpriced xxD, that is all. I'm sure it works and all that but it is an attempt to overprice camera's keeping out interested ordinary sorts without a lot of dosh from having decent equipment.

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, but thanks for your comments. I'm still deliberating!

Re: Canon EOS 7D video capabilities

Hi DaveB,
    Have just become a member, also recently purchased the 7D. Hope this may be of some help.
    Like you my main interest is stills, also having grandchildren have started investigating the video quality. Viewing various Camcorder shots from friends, the quality leaves a lot to be desired and not worth the trouble. However trying the 7D video, very pleased with the first experiments with the Canon in HD mode. So not to put the children through any learning trauma, shot some close up's of bees on a thistle head. As I enjoy photographing nature I think it may well add another interest.
    There is also a bonus if you have other lenses, for still photography it is my best camera yet, my last being the Canon 500D.
    The size in hand, controls and flexibility are another big advantage. Very pleased with my choice!