Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squared cropped portraits (6)

Real Name
    António Correia

Squared cropped portraits (6)

Lately my right finger has been quiet and I have not been shooting much as I should.
    But I have been re-organizing my site sellecting only what I think to be the very best photos and I came to the conclusion that I had some good portraits.
    I went back in the archives and discovered some nice pictures which I have cropped in the square format.
    As I liked some of them I decided to start a project where I will place all the photos under the same format.
    I show you some of those pictures.
    I start with my own mother, my uncle and - for a change - some young people I shot 2 years ago, ending with a recent one.
    Thank you for watching.
    1. Squared cropped portraits (6)
    2. Squared cropped portraits (6)
    3. Squared cropped portraits (6)
    4. Squared cropped portraits (6)
    5. Squared cropped portraits (6)

Re: Squared cropped portraits (6)

Antonio,

Nice portraits, and I like them in the square format. I especially like the lighting in 2, 3 and 6.

Mike

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    Antonio, Nice portraits, and I like them in the square format. I especially like the lighting in 2, 3 and 6. Mike
    Light on number 2: one flash at the left bounced at the ceiling and another one on the right holded by a talking light stand.
    Light on number 3: large window on the back of the photographer (me) with difused light, in the morning. The window was in the same plane as the Sun and this one was iluminating the city of Lisbon. On the 8.th floor.
    Light on number 6: Bare flash on the right. black ambiance of an old dark room.

The square format is the polaroid one !

Thank you for commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    The square format is the polaroid one !
    Now I understand the shape of your border!

Medium format 6x6 is the other square format, but I don't know what border would be appropriate. Maybe black with the film type and frame number, like on a contact print?

Hi Antonio,

The square format looks good. My favourites are 2 & 6. Especially like the B&W and the lighting in 6.

Cheers, Richard.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    Now I understand the shape of your border!

Medium format 6x6 is the other square format, but I don't know what border would be appropriate. Maybe black with the film type and frame number, like on a contact print?
    That could be a way to show the pictures... Good idea !

But the photos wouldn't be so enhanced would they ?
    I have to try that idea some day when I remember... Old style... Rolleicord/Rolleiflex style.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hi Antonio, The square format looks good. My favourites are 2 & 6. Especially like the B&W and the lighting in 6. Cheers, Richard.
    Richard hello.
    I agree that 6 is good and strong. The guy is interesting and the light has the same character ...

My uncle is OK but I think that the light on our right may be a little too strong...
    Thank you for commenting

Real Name
    António Correia

Real Name
    Ian

Antonio,

The format has a lot going for it.

I liked the photo of your uncle (2) especially, though would agree about the light from the right. Could this be improved post capture? I like his expression. I would also 'lose' the blue fan in the background.

The girl in the next picture (3); nicely lit, pretty face, but is that your reflection I can see in her eyes? Otherwise very nicely executed.

From a photographic perspective number 6 is the one the judges are likely to go for, due to the interesting light and the character in the face.

The final kiteboarder picture, is interesting, but too many elements compete for attention.

Just my opinion though, keep them coming Antonio.

Real Name
    António Correia

Thank you for the comments. I was expecting them from you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Antonio, The format has a lot going for it. I liked the photo of your uncle (2) especially, though would agree about the light from the right. Could this be improved post capture? I like his expression. I would also 'lose' the blue fan in the background...
    One flash was on the left, bounced against the ceilling or the walls I can’t recall as someone – my cousin I am not sure - was holding it for me while his son was holding the other one at our right.
    The light from the right has been a little of a problem for me in this picture. I do have worked on this area and came up with this result.
    I think it has too much light, it is too strong, indeed.
    I can’t repeat the shot on the very same place but I could do it again with the same person. That could be an issue.
    The fan. Oh well, these portarits are not supposed to be perfect in terms of background. These portraits are to be more natural in terms of background, environment. They are not supposed to be "studio type".
    They are supposed to be “natural”. So , the fan. Let it be. I only saw it at home when I was working on the photo.

...The girl in the next picture (3); nicely lit, pretty face, but is that your reflection I can see in her eyes? Otherwise very nicely executed...
    Funny, curious how a picture shot two years ago can be reviewed, re-interpreted, re-worked with better results.
    I make – do I ? – better photography than two/three years ago. I work better my photos now than before, and this is the result.
    Yes it is me in her eyes. There was a very large window behind me with lots of difused light on the 8.th foor of my daughter’s office.
    This is one of the pictures she was needing for a work.

...From a photographic perspective number 6 is the one the judges are likely to go for, due to the interesting light and the character in the face...
    Yes, the character of the face and the hardness of the light go together.
    He was, no we were inside a dark room where everything is ... black.

...The final kiteboarder picture, is interesting, but too many elements compete for attention...
    May be a little. But they were there… It is one of those pictures 1 year old.
    My son is running away at the left.
    I was not yet flash addicted at the time. It’s use on his face would have been great.

Shot in the street when the guy was explaning how to get one to a place in Lisbon.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post

Shot in the street when the guy was explaning how to get one to a place in Lisbon.

Great pictures, Antonio. I love the natural skin tone...

And so much for "photography in public places"! ... he was giving you directions and you took his picture? How did you do that??
    Last edited by Alis; 27th October 2008 at 06:35 PM.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by sedali View Post
    Great pictures, Antonio. I love the natural skin tone... And so much for "photography in public places"! ... he was giving you directions and you took his picture? How did you do that??
    Good evening Sedali.
    This picture was a the way out of a restaurant where people from flickr had just met.
    It was a small group of persons when someone who was passing by, asked this fellow for one information.
    This guy - whom I knew that day and was part of the group, a young Architect - was explaining where the place was while I was shooting.
    I made 4 or 5 photos of him, all with similar expression.

Thank you for commenting.

I dare to post another one of that day and of someone from the group.
    But this time, I was using the flash to fill and pop.

I still like the first one better.
    just looking at the picture, you can tell she's quite a character, and if you were to bother her just a bit too much, that paper will soon leave mark on you!
    shot in Lisbon is quite funny too.

now I am confused: you actually archive picutres on DVD? I hope you won't have problems reading those down the line..(I guess if you keep sending those over this forum, that's one way to archive...:-) )

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by atvinnys View Post
    I still like the first one better.
    just looking at the picture, you can tell she's quite a character, and if you were to bother her just a bit too much, that paper will soon leave mark on you!
    shot in Lisbon is quite funny too.
    now I am confused: you actually archive picutres on DVD? I hope you won't have problems reading those down the line..(I guess if you keep sending those over this forum, that's one way to archive...:-) )
    Thank you atvinnys.
    I can't make shots of her because she has been very ill and could not hold more pictures...

If I archive photos in DVD ?!

I archive my photos in www.smugmug.com and in a back up drive at home.

When I travel I do it into a drive and to a ipod erasing then the CF. I do it veryday in the evening, formating then the cards and placing them back into the cameras.

I am sorry but I don't have a portable computer these days. Soon ...

Hi Antonio.

As someone who, for many years, composed photos down the chimney of a Mamiya C330, I think square format is a natural choice for many subjects. It amazes me, in this age of creative options, why we all feel so compelled to use 3:2 aspect ratio. After all, there's no law to break by cropping the shot to look its best - whatever the shape!

Your portraits are excellent. Difficult to choose a favourite, though I particularly like B&W.

All the best. Paul.

Real Name
    António Correia

Thank Paul
    Not very long ago, 2 monthes (?), I was using only one format: the 3/2
    When I visited the mountains in Silves Portugal, and shot some early morning shots with the 70-200 at 200 with the 20D (crop factor 1.6) having in mind to capture far landscapes, I changed my format forever and now I am free regarding that aspect.
    These days, I am recovering some old pictures, working on them with LR and getting square portraits.
    Thank you for your comment.
    Squared cropped portraits (6) . Squared cropped portraits (6)
    Last edited by Antonio Correia; 1st November 2008 at 02:04 PM.

Real Name
    António Correia

From yesterday ...

Real Name
    António Correia

With an "old" Canon 5D + Canon 24-70 + Canon ST-E2 + Canon 580 EXII bounced at a simple and clear A4.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hey Antonio,

Good to see you return, I've missed you, and I know I'm not alone. I hope you are well.

This is a good pic (as usual), nicely presented with the border and drop shadow and discrete copyright, looks very professional. Only thing I'd query is they look a bit warm (not WB); with slightly over-shiny foreheads which has caught the flash. Other than that, I'd say it is a good example for the rest of us (well, me at least) to aspire to; good pose, they look comfortable with you, well lit.

Was it shot outdoors as the background suggests?

Regards,

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hey Antonio,
    Good to see you return, I've missed you, and I know I'm not alone. I hope you are well.
    This is a good pic (as usual), nicely presented with the border and drop shadow and discrete copyright, looks very professional. Only thing I'd query is they look a bit warm (not WB); with slightly over-shiny foreheads which has caught the flash. Other than that, I'd say it is a good example for the rest of us (well, me at least) to aspire to; good pose, they look comfortable with you, well lit. Was it shot outdoors as the background suggests? Regards,
    Hello Dave !
    How are you ?
    Thank you so much for the compliment.
    I also like the border and the new copyright. It looks prof but it is not. It gave me some work to do the job. I made an action in CS4 which does the job when I export the photo from LR2.
    That's what I thought: it is a bit warm isn't it ? yes, I thought so ...
    No, it is not a problem with the WB - excuse me not to agree with you - but I think it is when we underexpose a bit the photo or introduce some vignette on it like this one does...
    I should correct it with the HSL.

Yes they were comfortable with me. It was my sun's birthday and they were invited. I do know the young man since he was 12 or so.
    The light was natural from the back - yes it is outside on a 3.ed floor flat - with a flash (580 EXII with ST-E2 on a 5D+24-70) bounced on a simple white A4.
    Thanks for the comment !

Now, I can´t resist - and I don't want to - to show you the picture herewith, which has a story I can tell you later if you are interested. I do know you will be

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast