Thread: view finder or display

Real Name
    Darko Petreski

view finder or display

Hi All,

I just bought nikon d3200. It has a view finder. Also has a live view button, that the image preview instead in the view finder is shown on the display. I am wondering, when it is better the view finder, and when the digital display. Are there advantages of the view finder over the digital display ?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: view finder or display

Hello Darko

The viewfinder operation is one of the advantages of a single lens reflex camera and I like to use it most of the time. I only use live view mode if I have the camera on a tripod and then only under certain conditionps such as low light.

When in live view mode, the auto focus works in a different way and is somewhat slower than the auto focus mode used with the viefinder. If you are shooting action or any other situation where you need fast focus, then the viewfinder should be used.

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 25th June 2015 at 09:01 AM.

Real Name
    John

Darko, I would say (don't know if others agree) that most of the time it is a question of personal preference. However in bright light for instance, the VF would be easier to use on the other hand shots taken from a low viewpoint may be easier using live view particularly if your rear screen can be adjusted to different angles.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

One thing no one has mentioned is that using live view a lot drains the camera battery quite quickly. I only use it for setting up special shots (night photography, for instances).

Using the viewfinder allows you to brace the camera against the body and hold it steady far better than using live view at arms length.

If you shoot video, you have to use live view.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Another advantage of using Live View on a tripod is that you can easily determine before capturing the image whether the parts of the image that you want in focus or out of focus are as you want them. That is done by displaying the scene at a really large magnification and closely examining the parts that are important in that regard. I always use this method along with manual focus when the tabletop photography in my makeshift studio is critical with regard to focus, which happens almost all of the time.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Hello Darko

The viewfinder operation is one of the advantages of a single lens reflex camera and I like to use it most of the time. I only use live view mode if I have the camera on a tripod and then only under certain conditionps such as low light.

When in live view mode, the auto focus works in a different way and is somewhat slower than the auto focus mode used with the viefinder. If you are shooting action or any other situation where you need fast focus, then the viewfinder should be used.

Dave
    I agree with Dave... I need glasses for reading but, don't need glasses for normal viewing. I can adjust the viewfinder of my DSLR to compensate for my vision but, I would need glasses to see the LCD decently.

Additionally, the view from the LCD is really tiny (even with larger LCD monitors). It is difficult to see the intricate details of some images when viewing the rather small LCD from 12-18 inches from my face. Details such as a pole grouwing out of a subjects head or something intruding onto the side of the image...

I can also hold a camera far more steadily when holding it with two hands and resting it against my face.

It is easier for me to follow a moving subject with a eye level viewfinder and I can also shoot hand held HDR imagery of several frames when using an eye level viewfinder.

Often, when the sun is bright, it is difficult to see the image on the LCD.

When I use the LCD (seldom) I will use a viewer like this one...

It shields the LCD from the sun and additionally, I can adjust the viewer for my eye and therefore don't need reading glasses.

If I HAD to use a camera with only a LCD as a viewfinder, I would definitely use a viewer like this.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

A right angle viewfinder will not drain your battery....just a thought.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    A right angle viewfinder will not drain your battery....just a thought.
    Very true! I also use a right angle viewfinder for low and high shots with my 7D. As an aside, I learned, much to my dismay, that the right angle finder which had worked on my 10D, 30D and 40D cameras would not fit on my 7D. I learned that on the bank of the Grand Canal of Venice. I just assumed that it would fit. As we used to say in the Navy, to ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME!

Real Name
    Randy Butters

Hi Darko,

Plenty of helpful thoughts have already been covered on this so I will just offer my own observation, based on my experience:

I find that I resort to the Live View on the display primarily for refining focus in some situations. I use a 14 mm lens that has to be operated completely manually on my camera. It has a very long 'throw', or in other words a long turning distance to achieve focus. This makes it VERY hard to focus through the viewfinder. Another common situation where I have resorted to the Live View: focusing at night. That is tricky however you go about it, but often the Live View is the easiest method.

-Randy

Real Name
    Dave

Hi,

I think this is partly an age thing. If like me you grew up with film then it's the viewfinder - can't break the habit of a lifetime, except on a tripod or faced with the need to get low.

However, I also wanted to say that it also depends on equipment. The OP has a dslr with OVF, but get a mirrorless with EVF and things may change a bit. The focus using "live view" or EVF is exactly the same, and on my m4/3 cameras there is no perceptible lag in either. With no mirror, the view is not interrupted by taking a shot - not even in medium burst mode on my gx7. Of course, this means that it is equally viable to shoot video using either the EVF of the screen. With manual focus I also have "focus peaking" where the parts of the image in focus "shimmer", as well as having the option of a greatly magnified partial view.

This is not a reintroduction of the EVF OVF debate , just an illustration!

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Hi,

I think this is partly an age thing. If like me you grew up with film then it's the viewfinder - can't break the habit of a lifetime, except on a tripod or faced with the need to get low.
    Dave - I've managed to drop a great many of my film habits in switching from film in moving over to digital and shoot a number of cameras, including a DLSR and the same mirrorless camera that you do. If I were to suggest the three main reasons that I tend to prefer an eye level viewfinder:

1. Easier to see the image I am framing than when using the camera screen, especially in bright lighting conditions.

2. Easier to hold the camera steady and frame accurately versus the way one needs to hold the camera when using its screen.

3. Significantly better battery life. The view screen is the single largest power draw on your camera.

Real Name
    Dan

Like some of the others, I don't use the lcd display routinely. I do use it for some work on tripods to check focus and framing, particularly if the tripod is holding the camera at an uncomfortable level. It is very helpful for checking focus in macro work, if you magnify the image. However, when handholding the camera at eye level, I never use the lcd display. I always use the viewfinder.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Manfred,

Actually, I do agree on all three counts, although I find it difficult to avoid the screen switching on in real use.

Another reason is, I think, that with the screen I tend to take in the whole image at a glance, whereas with a view finder one actually has to look around at the edges and corners, and I am likely to get a better composition.

Dave

Real Name
    Richard

As most folks who read my postings probably know, I purchased a Canon SX50-HS camera to get a smaller and lighter tool for carrying to dog rescue events and for shooting the newly adopted dogs with their new families. This is a very important facet of our publicity and I wanted a bit better tool than a cell phone or even better than my wife's Tiny Canon Elph 100. But, even a Canon 40D and a 40mm pancake lens is a bit large for my use.

The SX50-HS has introduced me to the EVF which that camera uses in lieu of an optical viewfinder. While this viewfinder is better than using the LCD at arms length to fame my shots, it is far inferior for my use than the optical viewfinders on my Canon DSLR cameras.

The image I see through the EVF is far smaller than the image I see through the optical viewfinder of my Canon 7D. The vision in my left eye is not as acute as the vision in my right eye. Even when the viewfinder on the SX50-HS is adjusted properly, it is still difficult for me to see small areas such as whether the eyes are open or closed when shooting wit my left eye. I can use either eye with the 7D.

In fact, this camera is O.K. for the price I paid ($188 USD refurbished from Canon) and for the use I am going to make of it. However, if this were going to be my only camera, I would have returned it for my money back.

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

If you want faster burst rate with pre focused (manual focus), live view is slightly better. It will take you close to the on paper specifications of your camera.