Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: hi - 30 second photo - comments?

Real Name
    Mark

hi - 30 second photo - comments?

hi.

I just got my 30s exposure picture taken from my balcony. Can you comment? Is there anything I could have done to make this photo more interesting?

hi - 30 second photo - comments?

How do you select your subjects?

Mark

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Re: hi

Hi, Mark. Welcome to the Forum.

Looks good, but I guess 30 secs were too much for it. Its giving more of day-like look. Is that what you had intended to do? It would have been fine it there were no lights. It would have been better if you could have included more of the buildings by lowering the level of the camera a bit, or making it face downwards.
    My 2 cents. I am no expert. Lets see what experts have to say!

Real Name
    John

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the group. Any object can be a subject, you could choose to photograph still life images, people and candids or portraits, shapes or patterns, or architecture. You have to decide what interests you most. What lenses do you have? If you do not have a zoom lens then I would suggest moving closer to your subject. It looks like you were practicing photographing light trails in the above shot. Did you choose the camera settings or was it on auto?

Real Name
    Mark

thanks sahil and SM.

Thanks for the tips on choosing subjects.

I do have 18-55 and 55-200mm zoom lenses. It was already in the package when I bought the body.

I am interested on Night photography so I am practicing it. I used manual on this one. I did autofocus first then shifts to manual focus.

My setting were F/10, 30s, ISO 200 and 29mm. I used the 18-55mm this time.

The light trails where not suppose to be there. A cab accidentally passed on that side. So trail of light appeared.

Mark

I agree with Sahil (but I'm not an expert either). Was there something lower down that you were trying to avoid? Your Ferrari perhaps? If you are interested in night shots, I personally think they come out best when there are quite a few small lights well distributed throughout the scene, and with a small amount of ambient light in the sky - so, just after sunset, or before sunrise. Good attempt though.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

The light trails were not suppose to be there. A cab accidentally passed on that side. So trail of light appeared.
    Hehehe, and those are the things that amused me most when I knew NOTHING about photography. I used to think that those trails were a 'magic trick' of photoshop!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Mark,

I quite liked the sky that lightness and neutral colour. The thing that bugs me most is the lens distortion on the pole on the right, it seems to have a distinct curvature towards the bottom. Unfortunately, I think angling down would make this far more apparent. I think you've pretty much made the best possible of the view, although if possible, getting the top of the pole in shot would have helped.

I think the answer to making a good image is to look for something to photograph further afield, rather than look out the window. I hope that doesn't sound 'smart', but I think you know what I mean. If you're not sure what to try, have a look around for some images of your locale published and see if you can replicate them.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Mark

hi guys.

Thanks for all the help.

If I can get another one. I'll post it here.

Thanks for all the tips.

Mark