Thread: NEF Viewer with Delete functionality

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

NEF Viewer with Delete functionality

I have Nikon D5200 which shoots raw files in .NEF format. After copying all the files from memory card to my Windows PC, if I open those in Picasa photo viewer, images open but the colours shown are significantly different than actual, mostly all the images in picasa photo viewer are displayed under exposed as those compared to that on my camera screen.

What I do is convert all NEF to DNG using Adobe converter and then open converted DNGs in Photoshop Camera Raw and delete unwanted DNGs

Can you guys please suggest any free software for windows which will help me open NEF files and display them with correct colours and exposure and give me a facility to delete unwanted files?

I have tried the softwares suggested by Nikon at (Nikon Support Page) but some weird reason, those don't get installed on my machine.

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: NEF Viewer with Delete functionality

Mrinmoy,

I have been a Windows XP and am now a Windows 7 user and ViewNX from Nikon works fine for me and I find colours are fine.

Having had to download the software again since a recent rebuild all went smoothly.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by mrinmoyvk View Post
    I have Nikon D5200 which shoots raw files in .NEF format. After copying all the files from memory card to my Windows PC, if I open those in Picasa photo viewer, images open but the colours shown are significantly different than actual, mostly all the images in picasa photo viewer are displayed under exposed as those compared to that on my camera screen.

What I do is convert all NEF to DNG using Adobe converter and then open converted DNGs in Photoshop Camera Raw and delete unwanted DNGs

Can you guys please suggest any free software for windows which will help me open NEF files and display them with correct colours and exposure and give me a facility to delete unwanted files?

I have tried the softwares suggested by Nikon at (Nikon Support Page) but some weird reason, those don't get installed on my machine.
    First, you can't see a NEF-file, it's not an image you can see. What you see is either a embedded JPG or the result of a RAW-converter.
    The embedded or out of camera JPG uses the settings of the camera. The RAW-converter may use other settings.
    Nikon software as Capture NX uses the camerasettings in the conversion. ViewNX also. Both are free and suite your demands.
    You also could use Iview, a photobrowser that uses the embedded JPG for a first view. But be aware that as soon you start a conversion in a non-Nikon converter, other settings will be used.

George

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Mirinmoy

There are a few options. As mentioned above, you could use ViewNX and this may be your best option. I haven't used IView mentioned above but do use FastStone Viewer which can handle NEF files by processing the raw file or using the embedded jpeg (see Settings, RAW). Bear in mind though that the raw processing will initially be fairly basic and may not do justice to some images in the default view.

You mention using Adobe Camera Raw. I don't think you can delete files in ACR but perhaps you meant Adobe Bridge which is a browser like interface to Photoshop and ACR. Bridge is a good option but what version of PS do you have ? Bridge and ACR should be able to work with your NEF files without the need to convert to DNG, if you have a late enough version (eg CS6 or CC) with the latest ACR update.

Dave

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Mirinmoy

There are a few options. As mentioned above, you could use ViewNX and this may be your best option. I haven't used IView mentioned above but do use FastStone Viewer which can handle NEF files by processing the raw file or using the embedded jpeg (see Settings, RAW). Bear in mind though that the raw processing will initially be fairly basic and may not do justice to some images in the default view.

You mention using Adobe Camera Raw. I don't think you can delete files in ACR but perhaps you meant Adobe Bridge which is a browser like interface to Photoshop and ACR. Bridge is a good option but what version of PS do you have ? Bridge and ACR should be able to work with your NEF files without the need to convert to DNG, if you have a late enough version (eg CS6 or CC) with the latest ACR update.

Dave
    I use Photoshop CS6 extended but it does not support NEF files from Nikon D5200.
    Adobe Camera Raw does not directly delete the files but there is a option to "Mark for delete" which only marks the file for deleting and takes action when I click "Done". All the marked files are deleted at once in last step.

Not sure why but Nikon softwares are not getting installed on my machine (Invalid DLL entry point .... something like this is displayed when I start installation). I use Dell Inspiron N 14 R which has 1st Gen i3 with 4 GB RAM and 64 bit windows 7 home professional installed on it. It might need a rebuild I guess.

I wont be satisfied by any software until I see colours on PC same as those displayed in camera screen.
    Just came to know from one of my friend that microsoft has released a codec for raw files from Nikon D5200, which might display the RAW files directly in Windows photo viewer. Lets give a try to that and then decide.

Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (6.3.9721.0)

Real Name
    George

I use Photoshop CS6 extended but it does not support NEF files from Nikon D5200.
    Adobe Camera Raw does not directly delete the files but there is a option to "Mark for delete" which only marks the file for deleting and takes action when I click "Done". All the marked files are deleted at once in last step.

Not sure why but Nikon softwares are not getting installed on my machine (Invalid DLL entry point .... something like this is displayed when I start installation). I use Dell Inspiron N 14 R which has 1st Gen i3 with 4 GB RAM and 64 bit windows 7 home professional installed on it. It might need a rebuild I guess.

I wont be satisfied by any software until I see colours on PC same as those displayed in camera screen.
    Just came to know from one of my friend that microsoft has released a codec for raw files from Nikon D5200, which might display the RAW files directly in Windows photo viewer. Lets give a try to that and then decide.

Iview or Faststone using the embedded jpg. Created with the in-camera raw-converter. Exactly the same.

CaptureNx2 can be installed on your pc only once. A kind of fingerprint of your hardware is registered at Nikon, so if you had tried Capture once in te past, you can't anymore. But that has nothing to do with a bad DLL. Maybe you could clean your registry.
    George

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Mrinmoy

You can download the latest version of ACR (v8.6 I think) and this should give you nef file compatability for the D5200.

The Microsoft camera codec plug-in should do the trick too. I used it for my Canon camera with Windows Explorer but unfortunately it doesn't appear to have been updated yet for my current camera (D610). This software works on the embedded jpeg as far as I know.

Dave

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    CaptureNx2 can be installed on your pc only once. A kind of fingerprint of your hardware is registered at Nikon, so if you had tried Capture once in te past, you can't anymore.
    Thats disgusting... and also I could not get the reason of that restriction...
    Does that mean Nikon will also provide some high end computers along with cameras which will never require uninstalling of software

Real Name
    Peter

NEF Viewer with Delete functionality

Aside from the free software which you are looking for "to see the same colours on your PC as you see on your camera screen" you need to use a calibrated monitor. Without me reading all off the previous responses above, you should also be aware that the image you see on the camera screen is an in camera generated .jpg file and will never (until you process the raw file) look the same as its corresponding raw file, IHTH

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Hi Peter,

Yes, it won't be 100% same but atleast 90% close to what I see on camera screen.
    I use a basic DELL laptop so do not have an option to calibrate the monitor much and main thing is I never understood the tutorial about calibrating monitors, specifically gamma part of it If I set the gamma to 2.2, aww !!! my monitor turns in to a nightmare... something like a huge flash light, everything is just white...