Thread: handkerchief over flash

handkerchief over flash

The pop-up flash on my Samsung GX20 was too strong for this flower on the windowsill, so I hung my handkerchief over the flash. I like the result. Maybe this would be useful where a 'quickfix' is needed.

Anyone else tried things like this?

SORRY! pics wouldn't upload due to excess size!
    I'll try to downsize for presentation!
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 19th April 2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: reduce size

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: handkerchief over flash

Not sure about others, but I'm not seeing a flower from my end

Real Name
    Pops

I've used this trick and teach it. You can have some fun using different colors of material.

Take a 35mm film can of the milky colored, translucent plastic material. Remove the cap and cut the bottom off. Then slice it down the side. You have a very handy diffuser for your flash.

Pops

I've got 2 pics, each of about 6mb - and not sure how to size down - any suggestions, please

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Aertaylor, this link should help you.
    Insert Image

And to resize the Image, assuming you have photoshop, goto Image>Image Size and decrease the resolution of the image from "Whatever" to 100. That should decrease the image size considerably.

Real Name
    Troy

My nikon d80 allows for manual flash down to 1/128 output, but if I use TTL it goes even lower, and, I assume, everything between steps. Did you try TTL?

Real Name

Quick tip: For diffusion to work as well as possible you need to get the diffuser as far as possible from the flash (towards the subject)

Real Name
    John

Not sure if your camera does but mine has a rear synch function that provides flash for low light settings. It fires at the end of the exposure illuminating enough of the scene without throwing a glaring light on the subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by aertaylor View Post
    The pop-up flash on my Samsung GX20 was too strong for this flower on the windowsill, so I hung my handkerchief over the flash. I like the result. Maybe this would be useful where a 'quickfix' is needed.

Anyone else tried things like this?

SORRY! pics wouldn't upload due to excess size!
    I'll try to downsize for presentation!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Not sure if your camera does but mine has a rear synch function that provides flash for low light settings. It fires at the end of the exposure illuminating enough of the scene without throwing a glaring light on the subjects.
    Rear curtain sync is normally used to freeze the subject at the end of a motion trail (so you don't get ghosting or other weird phenomina like car headlights traveling back through a car). In terms of the actual amount of light emitted though, I can't see it making any difference.

I use a Kood foldup reflector like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kood-80cm-5-1-...-/350312821020 It has 5 panels, one of which is a diffuser screen. It works really well, even outdoors in very bright light. I did this shot with one outdoors using it to diffuse the sun behind the flower, but it works just as well diffusing flashlight... Improvisation on a hot sunny day

A handkerchief is a good idea. Never thought of that one.