Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rievaulx Abbey

Real Name
    Peter

Rievaulx Abbey

From same trip as my Whitby shots. Converted to b&w using Lightroom 3. Comments welcome

Rievaulx Abbey

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Rievaulx Abbey

'fraid not for me, Peter. It's all in the PP I think. The composition is very good. Again, (as with Whitby Abbey) I love the way you use lines to take us into the main subject - the Abbey. It's just overdone on the PP for me. I think the white clouds need toned down, as does the stonework on the main walls of the building. However, just my tastes. Other will have differing views, I'm sure.

Real Name
    Pops

I agree with Donald. It is a bit overdone, to MY eye. I think I'd have softened it, perhaps gone more for an antique look. Maybe tried a sepia or mild halftone. Perhaps a "Boris Karloff" look?

Great shot for composition and subject. I like it a lot, for that.

Pops

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Peter,

I tend to agree with Donald, the composition is good, but the PP isn't to my taste.

Also, just to really 'put the knife in' , I think the PP(?) vignette is unnecessary to frame the shot, there are already compositional elements in the shot doing that and it is overkill.

Hope that's helpful, (honestly)

Same comments here I am afraid. Some of the HDR fans may like this effect but it has slipped way past the mean and moody exemplified by the Whitby Abbey image. This is so easy to do and I have done it many, many times with b/w conversion. I strive to get my b/w images as close to overdone as possible in an attempt to get maximum contrast and range. I do not know what your processing methods are but it might be worth stepping back to simple conversions and then building up the impact.

Steve