Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Boathouse HDR

Boathouse HDR

Heres another HDR I did thought it turned out well. Feel free to tell me what you think. Still using the trial of photomatix so forgive the watermarks.

Boathouse HDR
    Last edited by Ruckus; 8th January 2010 at 03:33 AM.

Real Name
    David

Re: Boathouse HDR

Hi Ruckus - I've just posted a comment on your other recent thread re Picturenaut for HDR and tone-mapping. You might want to see what Picturenaut makes of this image. If you look closely, you'll see a halo effect particularly around the edges of the background trees. While you may wish that effect to be present, using Photomatix to get rid of it is not so easy. Otherwise I like the image, although I might wish to square it up with a perspective correction tool as I think the boathouse leans a bit to the right.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    Heres another HDR I did thought it turned out well. Feel free to tell me what you think. Still using the trial of photomatix so forgive the watermarks.
    Hi Ruckus,

Out of curiocity, how many shots were in your bracket, and at what EV interval? Did you shoot them RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Ruckus,

Out of curiocity, how many shots were in your bracket, and at what EV interval? Did you shoot them RAW?
    3 jpg shots the EV intervals were -2 0 +2

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ruckus,

A nice composition and I do like the effect on the buildings, in fact on everything, except those darn halos on the sky.

Don't take this personally, I'm going to rant
    Sky halos drive me nuts because it isn't how it was and it isn't how you would deliberately paint it were you (or I) were an artist. It just has no foundation in reality; present (photographic) nor past (art).

The only time it occurs is when someone cannot, or cannot be bothered to, do the PP properly at the edges of high contrast transitions. I have been guilty of this myself in the past, so as I say, don't take this personally.

Cheers,

Real Name

3 jpg shots the EV intervals were -2 0 +2
    Ah. Does your Camera shoot RAW?

Has anyone a favourite technique to get rid of halos? At the moment I tend to eye-dropper sample the light colour adjacent to the halo then paint over the halo on a blank layer set to the darken blending mode. That way the colour does not stray on to the darker tones on the other side of the halo which allows the process to be a bit slicker.

I would agree that prevention is better than cure but sometimes halos do tend to creep in.

Regards,

Tony

It does shoot in Raw but was shooting in jpg to space. Also I dont have photoshop nor can I afford it so not much post processing apart from photomatix and useing noiseware. But I do have GIMP and I am thinking about getting elements or something in the same price range as it. Just rather put money into photography gear over saveing and getting photoshop. Although I do have experience with it from school.

Real Name

It does shoot in Raw but was shooting in jpg to space. Also I dont have photoshop nor can I afford it so not much post processing apart from photomatix and useing noiseware. But I do have GIMP and I am thinking about getting elements or something in the same price range as it. Just rather put money into photography gear over saveing and getting photoshop. Although I do have experience with it from school.
    Just as an experiment, why don't you re-shoot it (or something similar) - send it to me - and I'll see what I can coax out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Just as an experiment, why don't you re-shoot it (or something similar) - send it to me - and I'll see what I can coax out of it?
    alright ill try to go do it sometime this week

Real Name

alright ill try to go do it sometime this week
    Just make sure that you expose it so that the highlight are as close as possible to blown, but without actually being blown.