Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A golden glare

A golden glare

This duck (a lesser scaup, I think) turned so that only one of his eyes was showing. I thought it gave him a rather sinister, science-fiction creature look. Comments?

A golden glare

Re: A golden glare

Yes that deep yellow beady eye surrounded by the purplish sheen of it's head certainly gives it a rather mean and sinister appearance.

You have just avoided blowing the highlights but still retained reasonable detail in the shadows; but looking at the full sized image I wonder if a touch of selective sharpening may firm up the bill a little.

It is always difficult to get all of a moving bird into sharp focus and increasing overall sharpness would overdo the water ripples.

Re: A golden glare

Good idea; I may give it a try. I usually try to get a bird facing sideways when using super-telephoto lengths because the DOF is so narrow. In this instance, I was struck by the odd appearance of the eye. I was using a Canon 30D with EF 200mm f2.8L lens plus the Canon EF matched 2X doubler for an effective focal length of 640mm. EXIF data shows an aperture of f7.1. I sharpened the overall shot as much as I dared, so selective sharpening is probably the way to go. Thanks for looking, and for the suggestion.