Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Milkyway, "Generations" Light Painted

Real Name
    Jon

Milkyway, "Generations" Light Painted

Milkyway, "Generations" Light Painted

What an addicting night it was, could have stayed still sun came up. I scouted this location in the daylight hours ahead of time, went hiking and then came back and set up in the dark.

I painted the trees with an led head lamp, very rapidly for about 3-4 sec and my Step-son painted the ground by reflecting the light off a rock wall right behind us for about the same time.

We tried short direct light but with the ISO at 3200, it just blew out the foreground so fast.

Then immediately panned up for more stars. Probably 15 sets of trying to get the painting right.

I will probably reduce exposure time to 25 sec. or less next time and maybe bumped the iso to reduce tracking

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Milkyway, "Generations" Light Painted

My only critical comment, Jon, would be to suggest that the light fall-off on the left of the tree (as we look at it) is too rapid and that area could maybe have used a quick 'brush-over' of light.

Otherwise, different, but as good as if not better, than 'Milkyway, North Cascades'.

Real Name
    Steve

I'm enjoying these images alot, jon. Well done. I may have to try this some day.

The only critique I can give, is the trees are overlapping the milkyway. I think it would be compositionally better, if the tall trees were off to the side , and pointing towards the milkyway.

Real Name
    Steven

love your Milkyway images.

I would agree with Steve too about the trees overlapping the milkyway.

Real Name
    Jon

sometimes the obvious is right in front of you, I just need to sloooow down. I see what you mean Donald, luckily We painted different angles and I do have a left side light painted frame that I believe I will go ahead and blend it in to balance out the foreground

As far as trees covering the milkyway, yes, kind of a bummer, I know if I could have waited about 2 more hrs the lower Milkyway would have shifted to the right and been more in line with the peaks and slightly above the trees. I have set my calendar for the week of Sept 5 next new moon