Thread: Paneer Tikka - A Tasty Indian Dish

Real Name
    Raj

Paneer Tikka - A Tasty Indian Dish

Hi, going forward on my photography venture I stopped and clicked another shot. Can you please review it and let me know what exactly is missing for it to reach position Perfect?

It was clicked in low light conditions and handheld in a restaurant.

Thank you

Paneer Tikka - A Tasty Indian Dish

EXIF:
    Camera : Sony A57
    Lens : 50mm
    Aperture : F2.2
    ISO : 3200
    Shutter Speed : 1/60

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Paneer Tikka - A Tasty Indian Dish

Would be nice to see some naan bread in the background however the very shallow depth of field is letting it down. The exposure and colour is very good. May have been better if the fork was on a diagonal which would have kept more of it in focus and a slightly higher viewpoint.

Certainly looks very tasty.

Real Name
    Allan Short

If you are going to shoot food or anything (subject) it needs to be all in focus, so you tell me what you need to do.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Would be nice to see some naan bread in the background however the very shallow depth of field is letting it down. The exposure and colour is very good. May have been better if the fork was on a diagonal which would have kept more of it in focus and a slightly higher viewpoint.

Certainly looks very tasty.
    Thanks for reviewing the image. It is sort of a snack and naan is not required for it but i will try about naan with another dish which we can have with naan. It will keep in mind about your suggestion about the fork too. Paneer Tikka is indeed very taste and Spicy
    Last edited by fotugraphy; 27th July 2013 at 08:44 AM.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    If you are going to shoot food or anything (subject) it needs to be all in focus, so you tell me what you need to do.

Cheers:

Allan
    thanks for your kind review. I was focusing on the fork too and the paneer tikka and wanted to give it a title "Ready to eat"

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    If you are going to shoot food or anything (subject) it needs to be all in focus
    I disagree, Allan, especially with regard to photos when food is the subject. Photos in food magazines and recipe books that have only the smallest depth of field have been immensely popular for years, perhaps to the point of being tiresomely so.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The strength of this photo for me is the use of colors that are rich though without being overly saturated.

I imagine that it is very difficult if not impossible to produce a really great photo of food when eating in a restaurant and hand-holding the camera in a low-light situation. While I applaud whatever success you had in that situation, just be aware that you're almost always probably going to be able to produce far better results in a controlled situation.

For me, the subject of this photo is the fork, not the food. That's because of the part of the fork that is in focus, its bright, reflected light, and its placement within the frame.

Try cropping at the bottom to prevent so much of the foreground from being out of focus. Then try an additional crop on the right side to bring the aspect ratio back to something that is more traditional and less like a panorama.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Raj,

I suspect the AF (Auto-Focus) has made the fork tines sharp because they are contrasty that it 'understands'.
    This does make the fork look more like the subject than the food, or even the combination of the two.

It may also be that the lens could not focus any closer (unless it is a macro lens).

Either way, having a lot of blurry foreground is never usually a good idea.

I would also pay attention to the bright distracting shapes in the background of future shots.

I'd still like to eat it - so the shot can't be that bad

Good luck,

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    The strength of this photo for me is the use of colors that are rich though without being overly saturated.

I imagine that it is very difficult if not impossible to produce a really great photo of food when eating in a restaurant and hand-holding the camera in a low-light situation. While I applaud whatever success you had in that situation, just be aware that you're almost always probably going to be able to produce far better results in a controlled situation.

For me, the subject of this photo is the fork, not the food. That's because of the part of the fork that is in focus, its bright, reflected light, and its placement within the frame.

Try cropping at the bottom to prevent so much of the foreground from being out of focus. Then try an additional crop on the right side to bring the aspect ratio back to something that is more traditional and less like a panorama.
    thanks for your kind review. It was food and the fork were the main subject, not just food standalone. I will definitely try to crop the bottom part and see the results.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Raj,

I suspect the AF (Auto-Focus) has made the fork tines sharp because they are contrasty that it 'understands'.
    This does make the fork look more like the subject than the food, or even the combination of the two.

It may also be that the lens could not focus any closer (unless it is a macro lens).

I would also pay attention to the bright distracting shapes in the background of future shots.

Good luck,
    Thanks for your valuable review. It was manual focus and i deliberately tried to focus on the fork an food both with a shallow depth of field. I will keep in mind about your suggestion about not keeping much of the foreground blurry. Also, I will take care of the distractions in the image from now on. If you have any plans to visit India in near future, you are most welcome for a super delicious Indian food party.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Raj,

Good luck,
    Thanks for your valuable review. It was manual focus and i deliberately tried to focus on the fork an food both with a shallow depth of field. I will keep in mind about your suggestion about not keeping much of the foreground blurry. Also, I will take care of the distractions in the image from now on. If you have any plans to visit India in near future, you are most welcome for a super delicious Indian food party.