Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Shoe repairer

Real Name
    António Correia

Shoe repairer

Today I have been shooting a shoe repairer for 1,5 hours.
    I shot with my new Canon 5D + ST-E2 + 580 EXII behind an umbrella + 430 EX sometimes with a CTO (CTO is for orange gell isn't it ?) + Canon 24-75
    At first I used only the 580 behind the umbrella but moments ago I switched on the 430.
    The flashes were opposed one another. The 580 at the left and the 480 at the right.
    The place where I was with the man is very very small. I could hardly move.

What have I learned from this shots ?
    * I was always or too often, balancing the flash from the right to the left and vice-versa. I think that is incorrect. I should have tested and stayed in a balance for more shots that I have.

* I shot in Aperture mode in most of the shots when I should have moved to Manual sooner, using a higher speed to get a deeper background, even if it would be necessary to change to HSS.
    I am aware that using HSS the flash/s deliver less power but I think their balance would be kept.

* The 5D is very demanding in terms of focus. I mean: if we are working with rather large apertures - I am talking her about only a f/3.5 - the DoF is shallow and the focusing point is critical. Within the range 35-70 or so.
    The 20D is more tolerant as the sensor is smaller...
    I have make a table of DoF for both cameras to compare.

* I should have seen how harsh the shadows were with the flash on the right (430 EX).
    Are you still there reading ? Good. Thank you. Nice of you.

1. Shoe repairer 2. Shoe repairer 3. Shoe repairer 4. Shoe repairer

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: Shoe repairer

Antonio,

You're enthusiasum is fantastic. I can only offer an amatuer opinion. Whenever I have shot in similar spots (i.e. Cramped space, bad light) I've always tried to think "outside the box", #1 Case the joint (No I'm not a burglar!) take some test shots when the guy isn't there. Any wedding togs will back me up on this. #2 get out of the way, He's staring right at you. I can only say that people at work are a really difficult (but a fantastic) subject, a real challenge. How would Henri Cartier Bresson have taken these shots?

Mark
    Last edited by The Blue Boy; 23rd July 2008 at 11:31 PM.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Chelseablue View Post
    Antonio,

You're enthusiasum is fantastic. I can only offer an amatuer opinion. Whenever I have shot in similar spots (i.e. Cramped space, bad light) I've always tried to think "outside the box", #1 Case the joint (No I'm not a burglar!) take some test shots when the guy isn't there. Any wedding togs will back me up on this. #2 get out of the way, He's staring right at you. I can only say that people at work are a really difficult (but a fantastic) subject, a real challenge. How would Henry Cartier Bresson have taken these shots?

Mark
    Thank you Mark for your comment
    I pass on the street everyday and last week I asked if I could shoot him.
    He said OK and I said I will be back.

As I am from Setubal and he is older than I am just for a couple of years, I was shooting and talking about people we knew around town.

Even a theater actor came at the door and we have been talking for a while ...

HCB was indeed very good but remember that at the moment he could shoot everywhere, everybody. Big advantage comparing with the restrictions Great Britain for example, imposes to photographers.
    May be HCB just asked the people: can I make a shot of you ?
    Sometimes it's what I do and I get a NO.

Real Name
    Ian

Antonio,

I like your style... but if you don't ask you never get. People are often flattered that you want to photograph them so keep on asking.

In respect of the shoe repairer, I think that the shot of him actually doing the job, eg at the machine, falls into one category (he is absorbed by what he is doing), whilst in the other shots he looks directly at you and therefore he becomes the main subject and I would be tempted to try and emphasise him as the subject to a greater degree?

Ian

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Antonio,

I like your style... but if you don't ask you never get. People are often flattered that you want to photograph them so keep on asking.

In respect of the shoe repairer, I think that the shot of him actually doing the job, eg at the machine, falls into one category (he is absorbed by what he is doing), whilst in the other shots he looks directly at you and therefore he becomes the main subject and I would be tempted to try and emphasise him as the subject to a greater degree?

Ian
    Excuse me but I am not understanding what you maen by "I would be tempted to try and emphasise him as the subject to a greater degree"
    Do you mean him working without looking to the camera ?
    Well here is one again on the machine and from above.
    Shoe repairer
    I was very concerned to take the shot with him looking at me.
    I had a rather good sucess rate with - let me guess - some 10%

Today, I printed 2 photos are gave him.
    He liked them and he asked me how much. No way I said, I thank you for letting me take pictures.
    But yesterday I went to shoot him again and as he was closed for the afternoon, I headed to an office I know the man. He was talking to someone and I took some shot under the same - can I call it - style ?
    Shoe repairer - Shoe repairer - Shoe repairer

Just paper work he is doing ...
    I do like Lightroom evry much. Very easy and intuitive.

Real Name
    Ian

Antonio,

Sorry I didn't mean to confuse.

What I was trying to say by making him the main subject' was for the photo to concentrate on him almost as a 'portrait' as opposed to him being a workman, where the subject is ' the shoe repair man, with all his tools of the trade around him beng utilised to get a 'feel' for that trade.

The later shots seem to capture things better, perhaps it is the lack of the direct look at the camera that helps? The man is concerned with the business rather than looking and being aware of you, which creates a different style of photo.

Sorry if I am expressing myself badly here!

Real Name
    Ian

Oh, and I am glad he liked the photos, if he is happy, so are you!

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Antonio,

Sorry I didn't mean to confuse...Sorry if I am expressing myself badly here!
    Excuse me. Not your fault but mine as I didn't understand your first statement.
    Thank you.
    Have you seen this here ?

Have a nice week end.