Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Moon @1200mm FFE

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

The Moon @1200mm FFE

After Otavio's thread The Moon @630mm FFE, I decided to post a photo of the moon using the same mathematics I explained before.

The photo was shot handheld.

C&C are welcome, as always.
    Antonio.

1- 1/200 - f/6.5 - ISO 80 - 1200 mm FFE - Canon SX50HS (equivalent to a 24X binoculars)
    The Moon @1200mm FFE

2- 1/200 - f/6.5 - ISO 80 - 1200 mm FFE (2484 mm FFE with crop) - Canon SX50HS (equivalent to a 50 X very small telescope)
    The Moon @1200mm FFE
    Last edited by Panama Hat & Camera; 1st July 2013 at 12:57 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: The Moon @1200mm FFE

Very cool. Was the moon close to the horizon or high overhead when you took these shots?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Interesting to compare the different approaches to tone between Antonio's and Simon's. As Simon has written, Antonio has achieved great clarity. I like the richness and depth he has got into that image.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Very cool. Was the moon close to the horizon or high overhead when you took these shots?
    Dan,
    Thanks for viewing and for your encouraging word.

The moon was 35 degrees above the horizon (I had to use Stellarium to confirm this information).
    Cheers,
    Antonio.
    Last edited by Panama Hat & Camera; 2nd July 2013 at 02:10 AM.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cropper View Post
    What do you think of my attempt?

Equipment used: D800E with a 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 Zoom (@400mm) on a video tripod.
    Camera focused manually using LiveView; triggered using timer.
    Exposure: ISO 400, F5.6, 1/1,000s
    Post processed with Rawtherepee.

Photographed in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on 27/6/2013. Very cold winter night with no clouds whatsoever. Not a super moon. Photographed after moon nearly reached top of celestrial arc at about 1am. Some light sources around and some pollution from nearby factories but not bad for a suburb of a major city.

I am amazed at the clarity of your shot considering it was handheld. It just goes to show that optics wins over sensor resolution anyday!

BTW, When you post processed the shot did you sharpen the image?

The Moon @1200mm FFE
    Simon,

I think your attempt is as good as or better than mine. It is a honour to me and my modest camera to reach near the result of a D800E (that is one of the best DSLR nowadays).

I photographed in Macaé (200 km from Rio de Janeiro) on 28/05/2013 at 11:46 PM and the moon was 35 degrees above the horizon. There was some lights near me but the sky was clear, without clouds.

I was testing again (*) the IS of the camera. I made 6 photos handheld (3 with 1/400 and 3 with 1/200). I only saw the results after the 6 shoots:
    - the 3 with 1/400 were sharp, but a little dark;
    - the first 1/200 was blurred (it was disappointing); the sharpness of the second 1/200 photo was almost good (but the moon was in the right side of the photo); the third was sharp and in the center of the photo (I posted this one).

I enhanced the contrast and sharpened the photo of the moon, but I didn't change the colour or the saturation.

Donald observed the diferences of colour between our photos. Did you changed the colour or the saturation of your photo?

(*) The night before I had taken some good photos with 1200 FFE (low shutter speed; handheld) of neon sign of Four Seasons Hotel.

Best regards,

Antonio.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Interesting to compare the different approaches to tone between Antonio's and Simon's. As Simon has written, Antonio has achieved great clarity. I like the richness and depth he has got into that image.
    Donald,
    Thank you very much for viewing and for your encouraging words.
    My photo has colours, Simon's photo is B&W.
    All the best,
    Antonio.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Antonio,

You SX50 shot is very good - better than I have achieved with the P510, but it does display some (probably) chromatic aberration; with thin coloured edges around part of the circumference - yellow on left and blue on right.

If you had converted to monochrome, this would have been far less obvious, as just general softness.

If you want to leave the shot coloured, you could wipe around the edge with a desaturate brush in Elements.
    Or you could mono convert, then sepia tone.

I think what toning we see here is simply a matter of the colour temperature - which is not in the EXIF data (probably because you shot RAW and made the choice in Elements 10 and that didn't add it to the EXIF data).

Hope that helps,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 5th July 2013 at 08:01 PM.

Real Name
    Griddi

to Simon re moon.......

The Moon @1200mm FFE

Hi Simon,

I took this photo of the Moon, which is not a piece of art, but I show it only, as I am wondering, why my Moon photo has the " markings " on different places as your Moon photo, although I live in Adelaide, and took the photo on the same date as yours, although I took it at about 4am ( just woke up, and could not go back to sleep ) so did go out into the garden to take the photo, I might add, it was quite cold........

Greetings,
    Griddi......