Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Black Swallowtail Butterfly

Real Name
    Joe

Black Swallowtail Butterfly

Last Saturday morning I was sitting on the lanai (outside screened room) drinking a cup of coffee, I spotted this swallowtail working the flowers in one of our gardens. Hurriedly I got my camera and captured these images amongst others I trashed. The butterfly was constant motion so I had to shoot it as I would flying birds... high shutter speed to freeze the motion. These were shot at 1/2500 at f8, auto ISO and white balance. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Last edited by jprzybyla; 7th May 2013 at 07:39 PM.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Re: Black Swallowtail Butterfly

Wow, what a perfect set of shots - well done. For some reason I like the first best, the colour is a little more vibrant and the position of the butterfly works better for me rather than the 'mirror' image.

Real Name
    Terri

Nice! I like the last one best. It seems the sharpest and you can see more of his face with a clear view of the proboscis. Also the wings are aligned nicely.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Hi, Joe. All very nice stuff but number 4 is tremendous, IMO. It is really a keeper, everything worked fine on it (DoF, Focus, Composition, Background, light...).

Cheers,

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by kaye leggett View Post
    Wow, what a perfect set of shots - well done. For some reason I like the first best, the colour is a little more vibrant and the position of the butterfly works better for me rather than the 'mirror' image.
    Hello Kaye, thank you for taking the time to view and comment. I appreciate the feedback.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Nice! I like the last one best. It seems the sharpest and you can see more of his face with a clear view of the proboscis. Also the wings are aligned nicely.
    Hi Terri, your viewing and comments are appreciated. Keep shooting my friend.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Otavio View Post
    Hi, Joe. All very nice stuff but number 4 is tremendous, IMO. It is really a keeper, everything worked fine on it (DoF, Focus, Composition, Background, light...).

Cheers,
    Thanks Otavio, things happen so fast when shooting that it is only later that the image can be evaluated. I appreciate your comments and feedback.

Real Name
    Charles

Wow, Joe, you have nimble feet! These butterfly shots "on the run" are nothing short of fabulous, and really put my feeble efforts to shame. Please post more of them as and when. I am truly inspired, and will try again tomorrow, if it's not raining. I am in the south of France for the time being, and the "butterfly season" is just beginning here.

Charles

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by charzes44 View Post
    Wow, Joe, you have nimble feet! These butterfly shots "on the run" are nothing short of fabulous, and really put my feeble efforts to shame. Please post more of them as and when. I am truly inspired, and will try again tomorrow, if it's not raining. I am in the south of France for the time being, and the "butterfly season" is just beginning here.

Charles
    Hello Charles, thank you for viewing and commenting on my images. Nice to know that my images would inspire you to get out and do photography... that is what it is all about.