Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Black Swallowtail Butterfly

  1. #1
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Black Swallowtail Butterfly

    Last Saturday morning I was sitting on the lanai (outside screened room) drinking a cup of coffee, I spotted this swallowtail working the flowers in one of our gardens. Hurriedly I got my camera and captured these images amongst others I trashed. The butterfly was constant motion so I had to shoot it as I would flying birds... high shutter speed to freeze the motion. These were shot at 1/2500 at f8, auto ISO and white balance. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

    #1

    Black Swallowtail Butterfly

    #2

    Black Swallowtail Butterfly

    #3

    Black Swallowtail Butterfly

    #4

    Black Swallowtail Butterfly
    Last edited by jprzybyla; 7th May 2013 at 07:39 PM.

  2. #2
    Kaye Leggett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    1,862
    Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

    Re: Black Swallowtail Butterfly

    Wow, what a perfect set of shots - well done. For some reason I like the first best, the colour is a little more vibrant and the position of the butterfly works better for me rather than the 'mirror' image.

  3. #3
    terrib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado & Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,022
    Real Name
    Terri

    Re: Black Swallowtail Butterfly

    Nice! I like the last one best. It seems the sharpest and you can see more of his face with a clear view of the proboscis. Also the wings are aligned nicely.

  4. #4
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,454
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: Black Swallowtail Butterfly

    Hi, Joe. All very nice stuff but number 4 is tremendous, IMO. It is really a keeper, everything worked fine on it (DoF, Focus, Composition, Background, light...).

    Cheers,

  5. #5
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Black Swallowtail Butterfly

    Quote Originally Posted by kaye leggett View Post
    Wow, what a perfect set of shots - well done. For some reason I like the first best, the colour is a little more vibrant and the position of the butterfly works better for me rather than the 'mirror' image.
    Hello Kaye, thank you for taking the time to view and comment. I appreciate the feedback.

  6. #6
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Black Swallowtail Butterfly

    Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Nice! I like the last one best. It seems the sharpest and you can see more of his face with a clear view of the proboscis. Also the wings are aligned nicely.
    Hi Terri, your viewing and comments are appreciated. Keep shooting my friend.

  7. #7
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Black Swallowtail Butterfly

    Quote Originally Posted by Otavio View Post
    Hi, Joe. All very nice stuff but number 4 is tremendous, IMO. It is really a keeper, everything worked fine on it (DoF, Focus, Composition, Background, light...).

    Cheers,
    Thanks Otavio, things happen so fast when shooting that it is only later that the image can be evaluated. I appreciate your comments and feedback.

  8. #8
    charzes44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nr. Cambridge, UK.
    Posts
    117
    Real Name
    Charles

    Re: Black Swallowtail Butterfly

    Wow, Joe, you have nimble feet! These butterfly shots "on the run" are nothing short of fabulous, and really put my feeble efforts to shame. Please post more of them as and when. I am truly inspired, and will try again tomorrow, if it's not raining. I am in the south of France for the time being, and the "butterfly season" is just beginning here.

    Charles

  9. #9
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Black Swallowtail Butterfly

    Quote Originally Posted by charzes44 View Post
    Wow, Joe, you have nimble feet! These butterfly shots "on the run" are nothing short of fabulous, and really put my feeble efforts to shame. Please post more of them as and when. I am truly inspired, and will try again tomorrow, if it's not raining. I am in the south of France for the time being, and the "butterfly season" is just beginning here.

    Charles
    Hello Charles, thank you for viewing and commenting on my images. Nice to know that my images would inspire you to get out and do photography... that is what it is all about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •