Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Setting up for business

Real Name
    Phil Page

Setting up for business

Stalls being set up for business at the Fruit and Vegetable Market. Quiet in the covered area of the market - chaos outside with haggling for goods going on

The guy on the left was the subject of one of my favourite environmental portraits last year - after a break from shooting in this location it's nice to revisit and not be recognised for a change.

Setting up for business
    Last edited by dubaiphil; 30th April 2013 at 03:39 AM.

Real Name
    Jason

Re: Setting up for business

Phill, I like this a lot. Great tones and detail everywhere. The shadows make it look very three dimensional. The proximity to the subjects gives an intimate feel with the subjects. Your street photos are incredible i'm wowed every time. Keep up the good stuff.

-Jason

Real Name
    Shane

Phil it is a lovely shot - at first I wasn't sure about the brightly lit background but it has grown on me and I really like it. I wonder if the guys pay more for an inside stall that is likely a lot cooler and more comfortable for the workers?

The full size version really shows off the detail that you achieved in the foreground well and is nicely processed but there is a bit of a halo around the head of the three gentlemen on the left between the foreground and background that is apparent at full size (a remnant from PP?).

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks guys - yes Shane, there's a halo around the heads but I considered that acceptable when processing from RAW for this shot. The dynamic range between shadows and light was huge, so under exposing the RAW file, using the recovery slider to darken the exterior further, plus adding fill to bring the interior and men back up to a slight underexposure and adding more than the default contrast to restore a little more punch after using the fill slider introduced the halos.

Real Name
    Phil Page

And the guy in the foreground left was this guy, shot last year:

It's weird when you walk around and recognise all these people you'e photographed before and they don't have a clue who you are! But it's nice to be able to shoot candids again in that location. Same camera, same lens, and same aperture though...

Setting up for business