Thread: Cleveland's Backyard

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Cleveland's Backyard

Comments welcome.

Cleveland's Backyard

Karm

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Cleveland's Backyard

Nice scene. I like verticals that do not tilt and you have handled that well.

Overall could do with a bit of sharpening and a minor levels adjustment. I tried that just now and the shot looks less "light".

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Karm,
    Now how should I say this. My thinking is changing and I do not want you to think like I do. Is it perhaps to busy or not?
    Maybe a shot standing on the railway line leading to a subject in the city.
    Maybe excluding the railway line with the construction site as the main subject. Just trying to figure out how it can be made simpler, like in keep it simple.
    My attention is drawn to many subjects without fixing on one perticular subject.
    1. Trying to figure out if you were standing on a bridge.
    2. Railway line leading to where?
    3. Construction site for what?
    4. KNO what? (Right side of image.)
    5. High rise buildings.
    6. Clouds.

It is technically more correct than compositional IMHO. Am I overly critical or am I trying to make you look at the image from a different perspective?

Bobo, if you view the photo with a black background it looks less dull. I'll try your suggestion and repost if it looks better.

Karm

Andre, never be concerned about criticizing my photos. The reason I post to this group is the honest feedback I get.

Yes, I was standing on a hilltop when I took this photo. I might crop the right side of the photo a bit to get rid of the railroad tracks curving away.

I view this picture as an industrial landscape. I liked how the wall (bottom right) and railroad tracks framed the city. Ultimately, I like to try and make the "ugly" and pedestrian compelling to look at. At least that what I was trying to accomplish.

Karm

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Karm, I am just asking myself what is Karm trying to tell me in this image. Has Karm had success in telling me whatever it is that has to be told.
    I look at the image using 1 of my senses. You were using 5 when you shot it. I cannot feel, smell, taste and hear what you expierienced at that moment.

I am not doing this to be critical of your work, I am doing it to learn from you. Thank you. I will be following your posts.

Hi Andre. Good question and difficult for me to answer. But here goes: for me, the process of taking pictures and processing them is completely for me. I never think of the viewer. However, when all goes well and I like a picture I have taken and I like the way I developed it I want to share it with other people. When I came across the industrial landscape in my posted photo I was really wowed by the scene. For me, it has a beauty that I like to look at. The reality behind my photo is much different than what the picture portrays. In other words, my photo is a picture of what I saw and not what really existed in this scene. For me, the pleasure in this type of photo is that you can begin viewing it anywhere and end viewing it anywhere. If the picture is successful you will want to go back and look at it more than once. Pictures have been posted in this forum that I have gone back repeatedly to look at. Every time I look at one of these pictures I see something different and I look at it differently. Hopefully the way I composed this picture does not prevent you from wanting to look at it. What you see is what I want you to see. Hey Andre, this is probably way too much BS but it is the best i can do.