Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Shutter count 400d?

  1. #1
    JK6065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    611
    Real Name
    Jeroen

    Shutter count 400d?

    Hi folks

    Since I'm looking for a SLR I'm testing one this week to decide if I'm going too buy it or not. The owner wasn't completely sure about the shuttercount so I would like to know if there's a way to read the shuttercount from the camera.
    Could somebody help me with it?

    thanks in advance

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Epsom, uk
    Posts
    186
    Real Name
    Will

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    im no expert, but i think you can only get the actual number by sending it to canon. I think 50-100k is a typical rated lifespan for a shutter. Dont know if a shutter would be covered if it went within a warranty period, all things ive had to been thinking about while i scrounge

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA - California
    Posts
    445

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Hunt around the menu system. I've seen a few cameras that have a lifetime shot counter on them - no idea if yours is one of them though. Another way that you might be able to tell is if the camera had auto-numbering of images turned on (default), and it was never reset.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Will is pretty much "on the money" - for some reason all the manufacturers seem to be very guarded about such data (I can't for the life of me understand why).

    So about the only way you'll get it is to take it to a Cacon repair shop. Off memory I think it's 50k for a 400D (could be wrong) - keep in mind though that replacement shutters aren't too expensive. Most people struggle to wear one out over the life of the camera.

  5. #5

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Will is pretty much "on the money" - for some reason all the manufacturers seem to be very guarded about such data (I can't for the life of me understand why).

    So about the only way you'll get it is to take it to a Cacon repair shop. Off memory I think it's 50k for a 400D (could be wrong) - keep in mind though that replacement shutters aren't too expensive. Most people struggle to wear one out over the life of the camera.
    I suspect they hide the shutter actuations to make 2nd hand cameras more risky and less valuable...stops folk from being as tempted by a 2nd hand body from further up the range when Canon would rather sell them a new camera. That's just a guess though!

    There's some data on the life expectancy of shutters in 400Ds here.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I suspect they hide the shutter actuations to make 2nd hand cameras more risky and less valuable...stops folk from being as tempted by a 2nd hand body from further up the range when Canon would rather sell them a new camera. That's just a guess though!
    I hadn't thought of that - I suspect that it's a very good guess!

  7. #7
    JK6065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    611
    Real Name
    Jeroen

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Thanks for your replys.
    Searching the web I found only to send the camera just as you tell me now, but I thought there might some special knowledge about it here .
    But anyways, the owner thought the shuttercount would lay somewhere between 3000 and 4000. So bassically this is nothing compered with the 50k and the numbers on the site andy mentioned (thanks for that).
    I think I'm going for this one since it's a hell of a buy for someone who just get's into the dslr world like me.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    Thanks for your replys.
    Searching the web I found only to send the camera just as you tell me now, but I thought there might some special knowledge about it here .
    But anyways, the owner thought the shuttercount would lay somewhere between 3000 and 4000. So bassically this is nothing compered with the 50k and the numbers on the site andy mentioned (thanks for that).
    I think I'm going for this one since it's a hell of a buy for someone who just get's into the dslr world like me.
    Hope it works out well for you. Just be sure to do some "due diligence" though - keeping in mind the old saying "if it seems too good to be true it usually is"!

  9. #9
    JK6065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    611
    Real Name
    Jeroen

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    I suppose you're right there, but I know the person who sells the camera and know he bassically looked after it as his baby . No seriously, I think it's a good buy and I'm very happy it crossed my way.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    I suppose you're right there, but I know the person who sells the camera and know he bassically looked after it as his baby . No seriously, I think it's a good buy and I'm very happy it crossed my way.
    Sounds good

    In my mind though, a "good deal" suggests that something is under-valued, and (having been burned myself) I'm always suspicious anytime someone wants a lot less $$$ for something than they could have got.

  11. #11

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    I suppose you're right there, but I know the person who sells the camera and know he bassically looked after it as his baby . No seriously, I think it's a good buy and I'm very happy it crossed my way.
    Good luck

    I got my 1st DSLR (a 300D) off a mate for 150 3 years ago with a lens (19-35mm Tamron), battery, cable release and a few memory cards. It's still going strong...my brother uses it to photograph his 2 month old daughter

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Good luck

    I got my 1st DSLR (a 300D) off a mate for 150 3 years ago with a lens (19-35mm Tamron), battery, cable release and a few memory cards. It's still going strong...my brother uses it to photograph his 2 month old daughter
    Did you sell it to him for 175?

  13. #13

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Did you sell it to him for 175?
    Nah, just gave it to him but I suspect it's still worth more than what I paid for it. I learned a lot using that camera so I think I well and truly got my monies worth out of it

  14. #14
    JK6065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    611
    Real Name
    Jeroen

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Basically the camera isn't very cheap in terms of little money for it, but it's a complete set. With about everything I would need to start. A Sigma 18-125m 3.5-5.6 DC lens with suncap (is that the right word for it?) and a battery grip all wrap up in a nice bag.
    And learning is well worth something. Give me a 1ds mark III with L series lenses and it bearely would inprove my photos for now

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA - California
    Posts
    445

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    So when are you getting the camera? Looking forward to seeing some exposures!

  16. #16
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,393
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    ~ with suncap (is that the right word for it?) ~
    Hi Jeroen,

    "Lens hood" is I think what you mean, if the thing that shades the lens when you are shooting pictures.
    Or possibly "lens cap" if you mean the cover that goes on when it is not being used.

    I'm sure you will learn a lot with a DSLR, as Kent says, we look forward to seeing the results.

    Best regards,

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tne Netherlands
    Posts
    82
    Real Name
    Jan Diepeveen

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Please check: http://www.astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx, This program worked fine on my 1000D and claims to work on a 400D aswell. Good luck

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA - California
    Posts
    445

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Hey Jan thats a neat peice of software! Good find

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Wouldn't it be nice if Canon & Nikon simply included an "about" screen in the menu that gave us the shutter count

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    la union, philippines
    Posts
    51
    Real Name
    Isabelo

    Re: Shutter count 400d?

    Quote Originally Posted by wjh31 View Post
    im no expert, but i think you can only get the actual number by sending it to canon. I think 50-100k is a typical rated lifespan for a shutter. Dont know if a shutter would be covered if it went within a warranty period, all things ive had to been thinking about while i scrounge
    i happen to have a software that can detect the shutter count on canon camera.
    just email me and i will send it to you guys.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •