Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Buying EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Real Name
    Bedanta

Buying EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

I was planning to buy an EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM next year. But after reading the following news I had to make a hurried decision:

"Canon India has officially hiked the prices on all their lenses by a considerable 20-30 percent."

http://www.thinkdigit.com/Digital-Ca...ers_10749.html

Before the price hike, the lens was available at a price of around $700/- which became $900/- immediately after the price hike. An ebay deal of $725/- looked quite lucrative and I could not resist myself. The lens will be shipped within a week and I'm quite excited about it.

How can I make sure if the copy I receive is a good copy? Any standard procedure to ensure the same? Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Re: Buying EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

That's sad but it's life. A good copy?, well I guess when you get it you will know. Did the seller have a good rating?, can you return it?

Real Name
    John

The price of that lens has been increasing for years, I saw it listed at $529 in 2008.

Real Name
    Bedanta

The lens (brand new) was delivered couple of days back. Compared to my other two lenses (18-55mm and 50mm f/1.8), it’s quite heavy; AF is fast and noiseless. Tried a couple of bird shots which look to be ok.

However, while using the lens last night, I was worried to hear some noise coming from the lens. I have never heard such noise from my other two lenses. Browsing on the net I came to know that the IS motor of some lenses do make noise while activated. Is it the same case with my lens noise also? Any comment?

One more doubt: I am using this lens with my 550D which has a 1.6 APS sensor, so at the longest end, the 35mm equivalent FL is 480mm. Going by the rule of setting minimum shutter speed equivalent of 1/FL, my minimum shutter speed in any condition (at 300mm) must be 1/500. Keeping IS switched on, can I use a slower shutter speed and still eliminate the effect of any camera shake? Any advice will be helpful, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bedantabd; 26th September 2012 at 02:26 PM.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Bedanta - I would think that the noise you hear is the IS system working, and is quite normal. I have this lens and get very good results from it. I suggest that you give the one you have received a good workout and if there are no problems, then you have made a good buy. You may find this review interesting:
    http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/253/cat/11

Shooting at 1/300 would be fine handheld, subject to a steady hand etc.

With IS switched on you should manage 1/200 at 300 mm (full length) without any serious problems.

Once again, subject to sensible use. When I used mine on a boat I always had to take my motion into account as well as subject movement and hand shake etc.

Eventually, I replaced my 70-300 with a 70-200 L IS but still retained it as a spare. The 70-200 is fractionally sharper - but so it should be considering the extra cost!

And I often miss the area between 200 and 300 mm.