Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hummingbird at feeder.... C&C please..

Real Name
    David

Hummingbird at feeder.... C&C please..

Is this photo salvageable? Seems busy, but I liked the "pose" of the hummer. I know the feeder and background add confusion, but does anyone have suggestions for this one? I wish the hummer had been looking at flower..not the feeder...but...oh well. Darned brown fence didn't help any either. Thanks in advance..

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Hummingbird at feeder.... C&C please..

Hi David, if you feel that the hummingbird is the subject and the background is too busy, try playing with the cropping to see if you can get a composition that you like better?

For example, if I slide this image up on my monitor so that I see only from top of the fence down, I see a landscape image of the hummingbird looking up at the feeder with a consistent, non-distracting background. In my mind, I fill in the rest of the details and the hummingbird is a prominent subject. If I liked that view, I might be tempted to use sharpness, contrast, and maybe a bit of saturation/brightness to get the hummingbird to pop out from the fence just a bit more.

Hope this gives you some ideas to play with.

Real Name
    David

Hi Frank, and thanks for your input. I gave it a shot. I will have to try and compose my shots a bit better in the future. Those little hummers are sooo fast, huh?

Thanks again. ( I am originally from SC myself...grew up in Camden.)

Real Name
    Gretchen

Yes, I think the crop helped a lot. I notice the cool shadow of the bird is less intense thant he shadow of the feeder. That feeder shadow is right by his head. If you could lighten that a bit, it might help his head pop out more and still work with the entire photo. Or get rid of it completely? --not enough of the feeder is showing, I don't the think it would matter.

I love the angle of this shot. IT really shows the shape of his wings with the body nicely!

Real Name
    james

Great shot David! And excellent advice from Frank as usual . I love the finished work.