Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cannot open RAW files in photoshop CS

Real Name
    pinaki

Cannot open RAW files in photoshop CS

I tried to open my RAW files in PhotoshopCS but could not open .Every time i try to open one RAW file one box appears which says it cannot open because it is not right format.Please help.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Cannot open RAW files in photoshop CS

Likely your camera's RAW format is not supported CS. Unfortunately, one thing that Adobe does not do is update the old versions of Photoshop / Adobe Camera Raw for new cameras. CS is about 9 years old, so this is not much of a surprise and Photoshop is now at CS6.

The best workaround is to use the software that your camera manufacturer provides and output a TIFF file and edit that in CS.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

We need to know you camera model and the CS and ACR versions you have.

Use the 2 links in this thread to see if upgrading ACR for your version of CS is possible; ACR versions for software and camera models

The DNG converter is free, so you could convert to DNG, then open that in CS.

Cheers,

Real Name
    pinaki

I have NikonD5100 that i recently bought.I have installed a Photoshop cs version.What is DNG?I usually use the camera manufacturer's softwware ViewNX2 to convert to Jpg after a few adjustments.Can i convert to TIFF by same software?I donot know how to get DNG converter?Thanks for your response.

For me, if I have gone to the trouble of shooting Raw, I can't see any point in then converting to a format like Jpeg which can lose data.

I always used to convert to Tiff which is a lossless universal format. But the advantages come at rather large file sizes. So I now convert and save everything from Raw to Adobe psd which is quite a bit smaller but just as good, or better, at retaining information.

Some software still doesn't recognise Adobe psd as a universal format so it may occasionally be necessary to convert to something else when sharing files etc. But I have found that this is increasing rare nowadays; and those programmes sometimes don't accept Tiff either.

There are various arguments about DNG which, put very simply, is another form of universal Raw (OK not strictly correct). Some photographers say it the the obvious way forward particularly for long term storage of images. Others think it doesn't offer any advantages for them.

Difficult to say one way or the other. But certainly something to think about.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by pinakibaidya View Post
    I have NikonD5100 that i recently bought.I have installed a Photoshop cs version. What is DNG?I usually use the camera manufacturer's softwware ViewNX2 to convert to Jpg after a few adjustments. Can i convert to TIFF by same software? I do not know how to get DNG converter? Thanks for your response.
    I need to know which number version, not just "CS" (there are 6 different ones!)

OK, knowing the camera, I looked that up, the Nikon D5100 requires ACR 6.4 or higher.
    In turn, this ACR version is only compatible with CS5 and CS6 (and Elements 9 and 10).

DNG is Digital NeGative format, as Geoff explained.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Richard

Dave,

The original Adobe Creative Suite was designated as CS with no number following the letters.

IMO, one of the problems with Adobe is the support that they maintain for their older products.

When CS5 was the latest issue of Creative Suite, I had problems with a copy of CS3. I called Adobe help line and was smugly told that I should get a the new version to work properly.

I have had other problems with Adobe support including once when I seleced the option to have an Adobe help person call me back, my telephone rang - there wasn't anyone at the end of the line. A few minutes later, the phone rang again, same result - no one at the end of the line. It continued ringing every couple of minutes. This was late Friday afternoon and I called every Adobe number I could find using my cell phone (my house phone was inoperative due to the incoming calls) without being able to find a person. Then, I did what I always do in a case like that. I dialed numbers number for sales in San Francisco. Companies always have a better customer service for sales than after you have bought the product. Anyway the sales person I reached in San Francisco promised to email India to correct the problem. She probably did that because about twenty minutes later my phone stopped ringing.

Unfortunately the Adobe products are the best (IMO) out there and are the standard of the industry. Sad that their customer service sucks so badly!