Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ladies in the Garden

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Ladies in the Garden

I'm really hoping I'll get reaction from people about whether you think this works as an image.

For a while I've been finding myself concentrating on going for simple lines and shapes with less rather than more in the image. This one, on the other hand, goes to the opposite end of the spectrum and is very busy.

During my recent weekend away in a cottage on Loch Lomond as well as photographing Golfing Buddies and practicing with my new Vari ND filter, my partner and I and our friend with whom we shared the weekend, wandered around the grounds and enjoyed the walled garden. My partner, Sheila (with her back to me) and Maggie decided to have a seat for a while.

So, is it far too busy? Does it work well enough to be thought of as a serious image, or is it just a weekend snapshot? What do you think?

Please click on it to view at larger size in the lightbox.

Ladies in the Garden
    Canon 40D, EF 24-70 f2.8 L @ 58mm. ISO100. 1/15@f11

Real Name
    Myra

Re: Ladies in the Garden

Donald, you're the king of black and white, but I think this one would speak to me more as a colour shot. I had to enlarge before I saw the friends in the garden

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This is the sort of image that could provide a really nice memory for the three of you, though in my way of looking at things it doesn't rise to the standard of your typical quality.

Even after glancing (though only glancing) at the large size, I still didn't see your friend with her back to you. I looked all over the image for her before realizing that she is sitting immediately in front of the other woman. The other thing that bothers me is that the flowers are in front of the face of the woman facing the camera.

I agree with Myra that I might like this image better in color. Even so, it still might be too busy for me, though in perhaps a different kind of way.

Real Name
    Myra

Donald, I forgot to ask. Do you use the Nik software for B&W along with the GIMP? I have a trial version and was wondering if one of the presets that opens up the shadows a bit would work.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Donald, I forgot to ask. Do you use the Nik software for B&W along with the GIMP? I have a trial version and was wondering if one of the presets that opens up the shadows a bit would work.
    Myra

Yes I do.

I do RAW processing with DxO Optics. Then I convert with Silver Efex Pro 2 and then I finish off (usually only content and output sharpening these days and add a border) in the GIMP.

I did work the image quite a bit to get to where I wanted it and yes, the shadows could be opened up quite a bit. I think I actually darkened that area on the other side of the wall because I wanted to keep attention on this side of it.

Real Name
    Myra

That reasoning makes sense. I do like the idea of your people being partially hidden, though. When your eye finds them, it's like a nice surprise

I'm enjoying playing around with the software. I keep going back to the same ones and doing some adjustments. The "finishing" touches are nice.