Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: ...as in a dream!

  1. #1
    Daisy Mae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wick, Caithness, Scotland.
    Posts
    2,577
    Real Name
    Sharon

    ...as in a dream!

    ...as in a dream!

  2. #2
    Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    71
    Real Name
    Ludwig Keck

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Very well done!

  3. #3
    Daisy Mae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wick, Caithness, Scotland.
    Posts
    2,577
    Real Name
    Sharon

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Thank you very much Ludwig.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Québec,Canada
    Posts
    696
    Real Name
    Louise

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Just like lace in a Victorian time gone by. Yes, like in a dream! The rendition is spot on. Bravo!

  5. #5
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,982
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Given that I haven't a clue how you go about making these wonderfully imaginative and creative images, I don't what my suggestion really is, but it's something like ........

    Could/Should the strength/intensity of the 'wisps' floating horizontally across the front of the flowers, be subdued ever-so-slightly so that they became less prominent (but still obvious) than the flowers? Hope I'm making sense.

    Just a thought.

  6. #6

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Sharon you take a little time off of flowers and then come back with yet another superb "Masterpiece". Wow! It's just beautiful! Can I ask "How did you do that?"

  7. #7
    Daisy Mae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wick, Caithness, Scotland.
    Posts
    2,577
    Real Name
    Sharon

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Thanks Carl and Donald.

    It's quite a simple process really. I take pictures of 'textures'..in this case wispy white rose petals then overlay it on the picture I want to use and alter the the strength and lightness of the texture until I get a balance between the two that works to my liking. It's worth building up a library of 'textures' so you have them to hand...anything from brickwork to lace can alter the mood of a shot quite radically.

    So, yes Donald the intensity could be lessened but I tried it at different strengths and at a lower level it just looked less attractive and more of a distraction than part of the piece. I chose the 'blend' that appealed most to my eye but that is obviously a very personal thing and may not be to everyone's taste.

  8. #8
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,982
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    ... the intensity could be lessened but I tried it at different strengths and at a lower level it just looked less attractive and more of a distraction than part of the piece. I chose the 'blend' that appealed most to my eye
    Okey-dokey!

  9. #9
    Daisy Mae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wick, Caithness, Scotland.
    Posts
    2,577
    Real Name
    Sharon

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    I think it depends on whether the most important aspect is the flower or the mood.... in this case the mood was much more important to me and the flower simply a conduit for that.

    A different flower or a different day and my emphasis might have tipped towards the structural detail.

  10. #10

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Thanks Carl and Donald.

    It's quite a simple process really. I take pictures of 'textures'..in this case wispy white rose petals then overlay it on the picture I want to use and alter the the strength and lightness of the texture until I get a balance between the two that works to my liking. It's worth building up a library of 'textures' so you have them to hand...anything from brickwork to lace can alter the mood of a shot quite radically.

    So, yes Donald the intensity could be lessened but I tried it at different strengths and at a lower level it just looked less attractive and more of a distraction than part of the piece. I chose the 'blend' that appealed most to my eye but that is obviously a very personal thing and may not be to everyone's taste.
    Thank You for sharing!
    I will have to look into this library of textures and wether or not they can be applied in PSE10 and learn to apply them.

  11. #11
    Daisy Mae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wick, Caithness, Scotland.
    Posts
    2,577
    Real Name
    Sharon

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    I don't use Photoshop much Carl.

    Will pm you some links that you might find useful.







    Anyone else who is interested just shout and I will post the links.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK, South West
    Posts
    191
    Real Name
    Ian

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Hi Sharon,
    I've been following your recent posts with interest and increasing admiration... not been sure what to say about them other than how good they are and how impressed I've been.. and could have said so before, so won't hold back any longer... Brilliant..!
    I love the way you take what might be perceived as a fairly commonplace or 'ordinary' subject and transform it through your attention to light and 'atmosphere'.
    Exemplary, inspirational work... Publishing? Exhibitions?
    Ian

  13. #13
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,982
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    I think it depends on whether the most important aspect is the flower or the mood.... in this case the mood was much more important
    And it must always remain.

    I didn't mean to suggest, at all, that it should be a picture of a flower - that would be grossly simplistic in terms of what you are doing here and elsewhere. You are creating images, using flowers as a central theme. Always, always, always, it must be about mood and atmosphere.

  14. #14
    Daisy Mae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wick, Caithness, Scotland.
    Posts
    2,577
    Real Name
    Sharon

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Thanks Donald...I in no way took your comments amiss, indeed I went back and tried a different balance as I have the utmost respect for your judgement but for me on this day/mood/flower I couldn't better it as the expression of what was in my crazy head.

    Ian..I am blown away by your comments. Thank you so very much, feedback means such a lot.

    In truth, I just do what I do because I love it...am pretty scatty and am only just getting round to putting a decent portfolio together . I have done some commissions and had a few pics published but am a MILLION years away from Exhibitions and the like.

    Appreciate it!

  15. #15

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    I don't use Photoshop much Carl.

    Will pm you some links that you might find useful.







    Anyone else who is interested just shout and I will post the links.
    Thanks for the links Sharon. I will be hitting them tonight and learn something new hopefully.

  16. #16
    Daisy Mae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wick, Caithness, Scotland.
    Posts
    2,577
    Real Name
    Sharon

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    Thanks for the links Sharon. I will be hitting them tonight and learn something new hopefully.
    Just enjoy it.

  17. #17
    gregj1763's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Launceston Tasmania
    Posts
    1,850
    Real Name
    Greg

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Sharon that is an amazingly beautiful image and I'm with Ian, without a doubt your work is worthy of public exhibition.
    I would love to have a look at the links if you wouldn't mind posting them.
    Well done, Greg

  18. #18
    Daisy Mae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wick, Caithness, Scotland.
    Posts
    2,577
    Real Name
    Sharon

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Late at night here Greg..will post them in the morning.

    Thank you for your lovely comments.

  19. #19
    rtbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Albertville, Mn
    Posts
    1,538
    Real Name
    randy

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    As usual, Sharon, your shot reaffirms that photography is a viable artform. I wish I had your vision.

  20. #20
    Daisy Mae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wick, Caithness, Scotland.
    Posts
    2,577
    Real Name
    Sharon

    Re: ...as in a dream!

    Thank you randy.

    Greg...I have posted the links here

    ...as in a dream (2)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •