Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Different Perspective

Real Name
    colin

A Different Perspective

A Different Perspective

I seem to have a fascination with this jetty. Constantly searching for new angles.
    Would like C&C please.

Cheers Colin.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: A Different Perspective

Hi Colin

Colour and exposure looks good to me although a bigger version of the image would give us a better look. As far as composition is concerned, I wonder if it would have been a more interesting view looking out along the jetty from the side if that makes sense - something that emphasise the length of the jetty as it heads out to sea.

Dave

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Colin, when we have lines in an image, the eye tends to follow them while exploring the scene. With the vertical lines in this image we are led to the sand. Hmmm.. Nothing of interest there. The horizontal lines take the eye completely out of the image.

As Dave points out, if we could see to the end of the jetty, our eye would tend to reverse direction back to the beach. For some reason, diagonal lines in an image are more interesting to follow than horizontal or vertical lines. There are no fixed rules that say that horizontal and/or vertical lines don't work but it is image specific.

It may be the small size of the image, but it looks like the scene may not be in focus. Try posting at a larger size up to 1600 px wide by 1000 px high. If you have to change the image size from the original, applying a bit of output sharpening can really help. If you haven't seen it, take a look at this link, particularly section 3 on Output Sharpening: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...sharpening.htm

Real Name
    colin

A senior moment when I was resizing to post. I have tried to fix it but it's not good. Your suggestion has been noted and I will try that next time.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Cheers Colin.

Real Name
    colin

Hi Frank, I was having a senior moment when I was uploading. I have tried to fix it but the result was very average, so a lesson learned. Good advice as always.
    Thank you for looking. Colin.