Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some days...

Real Name
    Mike

Some days...

Hi,
    I've been away from photography for a while and am trying to re-find it....and in an effort to get back to where I once was I've set myself the task of shooting something, anything, everyday.
    But some days.....

Some days...

Nikon D200, long end of an 80 - 200 f2.8 at around f4, 1/1250 and iso 400.

Mike

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Some days...

The important thing Mike, is that you are reaching out to get something to shoot, post, critique, learn, rinse and repeat!

In this image you have the raindrops sharp and great bokeh behind the glass so it conveys a cold, damp feeling. If this is the emotion you want to create in the viewer then it has done that for me.

The thing I find most useful on rainy days (assuming I am not waiting for a rainy day to capture the perfect rainy day composition), is to practice post processing on previously taken images. Not only will you learn how to get the best from your images but you will also be looking at your compositions carefully and building a mental list of things to consider when you are out shooting next time to improve your ability to "See" great images.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me, great to have you join us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidekick
    I've been away from photography for a while and am trying to re-find it....and in an effort to get back to where I once was I've set myself the task of shooting something, anything, everyday.
    If you fancy a challenge that'll help with motivation, it isn't too late to start a Project 52 thread.

You can read about the idea here;
    Project 52: Index and FAQ

Since you only need one a week for this, you can select the best of the week.

On the picture above; I am undecided whether the choice of tint hue really suits it, perhaps just monochrome, or a hint of blue? Bear in mind I very rarely do such images myself, so perhaps I'm not the best person to comment

Cheers,

Real Name
    Mike

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the comments.
    To be fair, I know what the picture is.....I was sat at my desk, pointed the camera at the window and pressed the shutter out of sheer frustration...it wasn't a considered shot at all and in all probability, back in the days of film, would have been returned from the processers with a quality control sticker on it.

I've looked at the Project 52 idea and I'm probably going to give it a go.

I have to say that one of the big things that I'm struggling with is the whole concept of PP.
    Back in the day (15 years ago or so) I worked as a snapper for local and regional newspapers plus some agency and other freelance work including doing some author photos for book-jackets and that sort of thing - and because I hated darkroom time and because speed was often a prime concern - getting the shot right in the first place so that it needed minimal attention during processing was the way to go - manipulating in the darkroom was almost a sign of failure.
    And I still have that same mentality, yeah, I fiddled a bit with the above pic, but I don't really have a clue what I'm doing with digital PP and I don't even have any PP software - I'm using the free download ViewNX2 - and, at the moment, if it was choice between spending £300 on a new lens or on photoshop, I know which one I'd go for. I should add that my most modern lens is at least 20 years old and while AF, it certainly wasn't designed with digital cameras in mind.

Mike

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Whichever way you decide to go with your photography aspirations, there are plenty of folks here that can help so just jump in and enjoy the ride!