Thread: Lightroom 4 warning

Real Name
    Dan

Lightroom 4 warning

If you, like me, are rushing to upgrade to LR 4, there is a bug you might want to know about. Apparently, on some but not all installations, if you import your old catalogs, LR 4 will wipe out the tone curve adjustments of your images edited under earlier versions, even if you don't update those images to the new 2012 process. One poster said that he was able to recover them by reopening the images in LR 3, but I have not seen this verified. Adobe has acknowledged the problem: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photos...ve_adjustments.

I was unable to determine how to install the fix, which presumably will come in the form of an updated version of LR, without first installing the original, if you purchased the original on a CD, as I did. My plan is to install LR 4 but not import my old catalog until the update is released. If anyone has a better idea how to handle this, it would be great if you would post it.

Real Name
    Hans

Re: Lightroom 4 warning

Thanks for pointing this issue Dan.
    I will wait a little before UG to version 4 then.

Real Name
    Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post

if you purchased the original on a CD, as I did. My plan is to install LR 4 but not import my old catalog until the update is released. If anyone has a better idea how to handle this, it would be great if you would post it.
    I am going to do the same...

Thanks for the heads up - I was going to wait for a while before upgrading to LR4 because of possible bugs.

I know it's been in beta for quite a while, but there's no beta test as thorough as the one it gets from everyday users over a period of time.

Glenn

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Dan,

Many thanks for this post. I have just ordered LR4 and am waiting delivery. It was not my intention to convert my LR3 to LR4 but to start a new database for my 5 star picks and reprocess from scratch.

After doing this I intend to repimport my LR3 workings avoiding duplicates. So I will wait until fixed..

Do presets from LR3 work in LR4 ??

Thanks

David

Real Name
    Ian

Hi Dan,
    I'll add my thanks to others'... much appreciated heads-up
    Ian

Real Name
    Dan

Hi David,

My copy has still not arrived, so I can't answer about presets from personal experience, but I did talk with an adobe rep about this when I purchased it, and she said that the software should recognize presets. However, I intend to copy mine to a safe place so that I can copy them back if something goes wrong. I forget now the location, but you can google it.

Dan

Real Name
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    Do presets from LR3 work in LR4 ??
    Both LR3 and LR4 use the same directory on your computer to store presets. All the presets you have built in LR3 will still be present in LR4. You will also see all your plugins still registered.

If your presets manipulate the develop controls or the tone curve then they may not be relevant to the new Camera Raw 2012 process version. If they are changing for example saturation, sharpening, noise reduction, colours, lens calibration and vignettes then they should work fine.

Alex

Real Name
    Hans

Installed the upgrade to version 4 from dvd. So far no issues discovered. Also presets are still working good.
    Upgrade done from version 3.6 to 4.0 on snow leopard.

Real Name
    Tim

No issues here
    However, rather than the default 'convert catalog' option I created a new, empty, catalog in LR4 and imported from my previous LR3 catalog. None of the previous settings was altered until, or unless, I chose to update to the so-called 'PV2012' when re-looking at a pre-LR4 image edit.

I think Adobe has been quite clever. If, in LR4, you open an image that was previously edited in LR3, it comes up with the LR interface and controls precisely. You'd not know there is any difference. If you want to make further edits you get the choice - continue with LR3 controls, or update to LR4's controls and the new 'process'. As with everything in LR you can simply undo to unmake that choice, too. In the current session, or any future session.

All new images you import are automatically edited with the new LR4 controls and settings.

There is a wee bug to do with some tone curve settings (point curve settings, if I remember correctly) from LR3 not being preserved upon updating to 'PV2012'. That's only an issue of you choose to update to PV2012 and there's no need to do that, especially if the image was perfectly well adjusted in LR3: why change a good thing?

Tim

Real Name
    Hans

Agree Tim,
    Importing LR3 catalogs do not make a change in the image, however if you change to the new 2012 style you see the image change.
    You have to get used to the new slider style but I have a felling it gives you more control for fine tuning the final results.
    Also the extended options for the brush is a very welcome feature.