Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sliver of the Moon

Real Name
    Bill S

Sliver of the Moon

Last night when I was taking the trash out, I looked up and noticed that the sky was extremely clear. There was just a sliver of a moon, and I could also see Jupiter and Venus. I went back inside, got my wife and went out to show her (she used an app on her phone to help us identify things). I then went back inside and got the camera. At first I wanted to get both the moon and Jupiter in the same shot, but Jupiter turns out to be just a single dot at that point, and it didn't really seem worth it.

So instead I loaded up on the mm's and zoomed in on the moon. These shots are taken with my Sigma 150-500 + 2x teleconverter.

Do they work? I like the different view of the moon (instead of the full moon), but does the completely black sky around it work? How about the square crop (since I am on a square crop kick apparently)?

Sliver of the Moon

Sliver of the Moon

Sliver of the Moon

Thanks for viewing.

- Bill

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Sliver of the Moon

They work for me, especially the last one, but then I like doing the same.

Sliver of the Moon

For me it is the detail that makes the moon interesting, so I like your cropped one the best. I do think the focus may be just slightly off but the ONLY reason I mention it is because focus has been a challenge for me. I'm using a Celestron C5 for a lens and this is my best so far, taken last night. For this attempt I used the live view on my D7000, zoomed in, adjusted focus, then got out of live view and took the picture.

Kevin