Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Interested in buying used camera

Real Name
    Kathy

Interested in buying used camera

Is there a place on here where members sell their used cameras after they have upgraded to a better camera? I may be interested in purchasing a DSLR but do not want to purchase a new one. I do not want to invest in a brand new one and find out that I am not talented enough to use it, so I thought I would start out by purchasing a used one. I know that alot of members on here will occasionally upgrade to a better camera therefore possibly sellng thier old one. Thank you for your help.

Kathy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Interested in buying used camera

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
    Is there a place on here where members sell their used cameras after they have upgraded to a better camera? I may be interested in purchasing a DSLR but do not want to purchase a new one. I do not want to invest in a brand new one and find out that I am not talented enough to use it, so I thought I would start out by purchasing a used one. I know that alot of members on here will occasionally upgrade to a better camera therefore possibly sellng thier old one. Thank you for your help.
    Kathy

The idea of a buying and selling section has been suggested in the past, but not been supported. If members want to contact each by PM and make agreements to buy or sell equipment that is a matter for them, but it is not something in which CiC would have any part.

The other option is to explore the refurbished, previously-owned goods sections of some of the major retailers such as, in the US, B & H. There will be others. The good thing about going down this route, is the reputation of the seller. You know you're not going to get rubbish.

Real Name
    Kathy

Thanks for the info Donald, my worry is buying from someone you is going to sell me some junk. Thanks again!!

Real Name
    Jim

Kathy,

I agree with Donald.If you are going to buy used and have no experience,going with a reputable company is the way to start.
    B+H,Adorama and KEH sell used cameras and equipment.
    If you want to deal with individuals selling photog equipment I suggest looking at Fred Miranda's site.
    I've been a member for 4 years and have bought and sold cameras,lenses etc. with no problems.
    There is a fee involved if you want to use the "buy and sell" forum.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
    I do not want to invest in a brand new one and find out that I am not talented enough to use it, so I thought I would start out by purchasing a used one.
    Kathy
    I've seen your photos, Kathy. You're talented enough to use a good camera.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcoastgolfer View Post
    I've seen your photos, Kathy. You're talented enough to use a good camera.
    I concur!

Real Name
    Kathy

Thanks Mal and Scott!

Real Name
    Chris

I quit buyingfrom KEH after receiving two lenses with serious mold issues. I got my money back both time but only after having to get pretty nasty. I only buy from B&H as there is never an issue with returns or the quality of the goods they are selling.

what about the prospect of buying used equipment from a reputable supplier who sell quality used equipment does that appeal to you if so then take a look at this website http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk. I have purchased few of my gears from them and I am happy to recommend them strictly for the qualities of their equipments and good pricing.

Real Name
    Allison

Hi Kathy,

I purchased my Nikon D5100 refurbished online from B&H Photo. It was almost half of what a new one cost, I received it nicely packaged and not a scratch on it! Like you, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something only to find out I wasn't any good at it! I'm still in the learning phase, and hopefully soon I'll manage to take a half way decent photo. Good luck! You may also want to check your local craigslist, I know my local Craigslist has a lot of used camera equiptment, but then you run the risk of getting it home and being disappointed if it doesn't quite work. I rather buy from somewhere like B&H that has a return policy and stands behind the product. Good luck to you!
    Allison

Real Name
    Richard

I didn't know that B&H sold refurbished items. I do know that you can get refurbished Canon cameras from Adorama in NYC. Both B&H and Adorama are extremely reliable merchants.

Canon also sells their refurbished cameras online at:
    http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...10051_-1_29252

Canon provides a 90-day warranty on their refurbished cameras while Adorama extends the warranty to a full year. Canon charges for shipping and you will pay whatever state sales tax that is applicable in your area. Adorama usually ships for free and the out of state purchases are not charged a sales tax. You have to number crunch to find out whether Canon Direct or Adorama is a better deal. It varies with the individual camera.

I have been very satified with the three Canon bodies I purchased as refurbished units. In fact, I was better satisfied with these cameras than the previous two DSLR's I purchased new. I had to send each new camera back within the first 90-days for service.

If you decide to purchase a refurbished camera, ensure that it has been factory refurbished. I would not recommend a camera that a store has sold and received back from the customer and now calls, "refurbished".

However, if you don't require video and micro-adjust focusing, a used Canon 40D is an excellent camera and usually available at quite a good price on the used market. I shoot with a 40D alongside my 7D and the 40D holds its own. You would probably be able to get a used 40D and a used Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens rather reasonably. This would be a camera/lens combination that you could grow into.

Real Name
    Chris

B&H has a 30 day, pretty much no questions asked return policy...I've NEVER been disappointed with anything these guys do.

Real Name
    Kathy

Thanks for all the great advice and information everyone!!

Kathy