Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project 52 (Suggestion and discussion)

Real Name
    Maja or Molly

Re: Project 52 (Suggestion and discussion)

I'm doing a 365 My camera and lenses have been in their bag and the bag has been in the closet for months so, I'm hoping this is the push I need to get going. I downloaded an app (Photo365) on my phone and it is set to remind me to take a pic and process it. I can then upload the photo (or if us my phone if I've forgotten my camera...if I've forgotten my camera I will use the Snapseed app to process in-phone) to the app and they will all be logged there as well as home.

I will look forward to watching all of your projects. Great idea.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    PM received from Bill;

My original thought was that each member would have their own thread and that would last for the year. However, the level of interest and replies each is attracting, there is a risk they may all turn into "mega threads" that are slow to load and overly long. That said, one new thread per week would be too many and not show progression.

My current thoughts are by quarters (4 off, each 3 months) or like school terms (is that semesters in US?), so (3 off, each 4 months).
    I am not really sure what you mean Dave. You seem to suggest that having different threads is too cumbersome for the forum maybe, but after that I lost the thread (sorry) of your story. It seems you are suggesting one thread for everyone to post in each week (or longer periods), but your sentence seems cut off somehow or reads strange to me.
    Per quarter or month might be too far apart, because people will be eager to show their process I guess.

Anyway, I have to say that when looking at the Nature & Architecture category, I was thinking that Project 52 was causing quite a disturbance in there. It seems that some over the other threads get pushed to later pages because of this, which is slightly annoying.
    A separate category (e.g. under Monthly & Other Competitions) as Ktuli suggested might be a good solution and would make them easier to find as well.
    But you seem to be suggesting that we might experience some slowdown in the loading of all the different threads, so I am not sure whether this would be ideal.

Real Name
    Peter

Interesting because there were a few very long threads going round - e.g. the "post your flowers" or "non-square cropped portraits" spring to mind.

But I certainly think there have been quite a few entries into the Nature and Architecture which is clogging that area up a bit. Perhaps the suggestion of moving them to another area is a good one.

Seems to have found a lot of interest though - which is great in itself!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    But I certainly think there have been quite a few entries into the Nature and Architecture which is clogging that area up a bit. Perhaps the suggestion of moving them to another area is a good one.
    Yes, I agree this is something to consider. And if a special category is needed, which means moving posts around, it will probably be easier to do sooner than later.

I can also see potential problems arising with many mega threads which could end up being around 20 pages long, in some cases, by week 52. So having 2 or 3 'sessions' may make things easier to control.

Looking at the results of Week 1, so far, I see that some threads are already nearly 20 replies long, with image re-workings, so they may get a bit excessively long by week 52.

But what do the administrators prefer? That is the most important item.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 5th January 2012 at 04:10 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

Titles ..project 52 or 366

I can't tell what I have viewed or missed half the time.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Re: Titles ..project 52 or 366

Very true. I was trying to figure out how to post on mine which is part of the reason I am a bit tardy getting the second image up. I was wondering if I should just edit my first post by adding each image below the last. It would take some scrolling to get to the comments but at least each of the images would be easily viewed at the beginning of the thread.

Potential problems like this is part of what was discussed when this project was first considered.

Project 52 (Suggestion and discussion)

Hence the 'rules' here Project 52: Index and FAQ

But yes, I know what you mean and some people are already on page 2; and it's still Week 2.

However, what I am doing is after the end of any comments about the previous week, I change the heading for the following week. Week 1, Week 2, etc. That keeps the photos and comments together; and hopefully, nobody will start making comments about week 2 during week 40, etc.

Although, even I'm not perfect, so at the start of Week 2, I forgot to use the Go Advanced option and enter the new title. Therefore, I just added Week 2 in bold type before the Week 2 photo.

Hopefully, something like this will keep everything manageable. But in many ways, this is a trial project so maybe a few firmer rules will develop as we see what happens.

And as Sharon said, I keep going back over other people's pages because I'm not sure if anything new has been added. But let's give it a couple more weeks and see how it settles.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 11th January 2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: links added

Real Name
    Frank Miller

If we find that a particular Project 52 thread gets to be too unwieldly, we could simply start Project 52 Part Deux thread.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Start e new one each month????

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Threads combined Sharon

Scott, The new Lytebox allows one to quickly scan through all the images in the thread

Thanks Geoff,

Thanks Frank,

Kris, have a look at post #40

Yes I think we may need to change things as time goes on, but it is still very early, so lets see what happens for a little while longer - i.e. at least week 4/5.

Real Name

Reactivated in 2014

Extracted from another thread; Haze in the valley - C&C welcome

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    I was wondering if the Mods would like to start a fresh Project 52 for 2015?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    I really would like to attend to a new Project 52 in 2015! It was really training for me, and now I also need to be pushed to keep on shooting with my camera.
    Maybe we can ask the Mods...
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I have been trying to keep the weekly photos idea alive but seem to be the only one 'still surviving'.

So I was going to ask for more volunteers during 2015. Maybe do some serious thinking about reviving the idea next month. Although, of course, anybody can start at anytime; it doesn't have to strictly follow an exact calendar year.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    There is plenty of time to ask the Moderators to set one up for 2015 if there is enough interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    This could aid my quest for self discipline. If you see this Dave I am interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    I try to post one (shot or set )over the weekend and ditto on a Wednesday. Don't always manage it but mostly. Because my back catalogue isn't that large, it forces me to pick up the camera and get out - which I guess is the whole point.
    Ok, OK, I get the message

Yes, joking aside, I would be happy to revive this for 2015, it is probably a bit early to start the actual thread yet, but feel free to read the thoughts we had on this last time, in this thread, above this post, review the 2012 thread and add any new ideas below.

It probably does make sense for each of us to have four quarterly threads, especially if you're adding more than one image a week.

A query arose about TinyPic not always displaying people's 2012 images correctly.
    The way TinyPic works is that the image survives as long as it is viewed at least once in 90 days, any that aren't may eventually be deleted and potentially replaced by someone else's image

Not sure there's much we can do about that.
    Obviously if you have your own web space, it will be better to use that (as long as you continue to pay for it, as I do).

Cheers, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 30th November 2014 at 11:34 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Count me in Dave! I've have a few themes I'd like to play with that were inspired by others here at CiC.

I really need to work on areas like Lighting, Panoramas, HDR, Macros, Birds in Flight, Snowflakes? and a host of other specifics where I could spend up to a week trying to improve skills in a single area.

Perhaps I could do a week's image effort based on "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland Ponies!" for a close to the ground image shooting perspective? Another thought could be a kind of Double Focus - how to capture focused reflections from the surface of a stream while retaining the focus on the stream bed? There are all kinds of exciting possibilities!

I may fall flat on my face but then, I could just as well learn a thing or two!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 11th November 2014 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post

It probably does make sense for each of us to have four quarterly threads, especially if you're adding more than one image a week.
    I agree
    I've to work on... photography. Every topic, matter or theme related to photography needs to be improved by me.
    Ok I've these two months left to find the most important themes I have to work onit.
    Thanks to CiC community for the opportunity.

N

Real Name
    Venser

I'd join.
    Got 25 weeks into a self portrait challenge last year. Next year I'm hoping to do 52 weeks in a row. Most of my entries were composites or extreme manipulations.

Real Name

I have started the thread early for (hopefully) improved publicity.

The proposed guidelines for the 2015 Project 52 can be read here:
    2015 Project 52 - Guidelines, FAQ and Index

That thread is closed, to keep all discussion in one place (this thread), so please do come back and post here with any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 2nd December 2014 at 09:12 PM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I need a push...up so I can get off my behind and do something...
    OK...I'm in!

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

I am in for 2015 project 52 but a doubt...

1. Is it like every member starts his/her own thread in 1st week and post one photo per week in same thread seeking feedback on improving each photo?

OR

2. There will be only 52 threads, (one per week with or without a theme). Every member will then post his/her image in current weeks thread?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by mrinmoyvk View Post
    2. There will be only 52 threads, (one per week with or without a theme). Every member will then post his/her image in current weeks thread?
    I suspect that feedback on all the participants images could get to be fairly difficult to track on the busy weeks.

The way this has previously worked successfully is for everybody to start their own thread under a suitable title such as Project 52 by Yourname or something similar.

It is then up to each participant to post at least one image per week in their individual thread. If you miss a couple of weeks then do a catch up by posting a few times in the same week it doesn't matter.

Each posting can be accompanied by a heading giving the week number and any additional title, if required.

Separating the year into 3 or 4 segments will make these threads a bit smaller and easier to view, but this isn't essential.

The challenge is simply to post at least 52 images during one year, all under the same heading. Something which may become a little more difficult in reality than it initially seems.

This shows how I have done it for the past couple of years.

My 2014 Weekly Photos - Part 4

As previously mentioned, comments are welcomed but, to save space, any additional posting of images by other people would be better done by just giving links to images held elsewhere.

It will be entirely up to each person to choose how they wish to select subjects. Some people will want to take on individual challenges in a rather narrow field or to experiment with various shooting/editing techniques. No firm rules about this.

For example, I have tried to create something of a personal photographic diary of the year.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 1st December 2014 at 07:06 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by mrinmoyvk View Post
    I am in for 2015 project 52 but a doubt...

1. Is it like every member starts his/her own thread in 1st week and post one photo per week in same thread seeking feedback on improving each photo?

OR

The answers are all here:

The proposed guidelines for the 2015 Project 52 can be read here:
    2015 Project 52 - Guidelines, FAQ and Index

Thanks, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 2nd December 2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Made link bigger to be more obvious

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast