Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Which Lizard

Real Name
    Jason

Which Lizard

Hello Again,

I am not sure if this is the place to do this, but, I am after some help. I have a choice of two photos that I wish to add to a calendar for my mother in law. If possible could I get some thoughts from those who wish to comment on which of the two they feel is the better photo. Any help and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Which Lizard

Which Lizard

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Which Lizard

Hi Jason, unless this is a known pet, I'm not sure I'd use either one as the subject isn't facing the camera or looking at anything recognizable. If it were looking at something interesting that the viewer could also see, it would work much better. Hope this helps!

If it is a wildlife calendar, Jason, then the second option is larger and shows more details. But the right side is a bit 'strong'. And I rather like the delicate foliage on the right side of the first one.

As an alternative, is it feasible to crop a little more from the bottom and left side of the first one to remove some of that whitish area?

I know how difficult it can be to find the exact images for calendars; particularly if you want to match them with the month in which they were shot.

I produce a wildlife based calendar and a general local scenes version, just for friends etc. And as I couldn't quite make up my mind about which to include, I picked my 'first choice' photos, plus a few alternatives then took them to the 'scrutiny committee' at my local pub. They rejected half of my choices, and a couple of the alternatives as well.

Hopefully, I have eventually found some acceptable replacements.

Real Name
    Mark

Now, if I gave my mother in law a photo of a leathery old lizard I might just be in a little bit of bother!

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    unless this is a known pet
    If it is a known pet, then I'd say you should definitely reshoot. Get the face of the lizard towards the camera - try for eye contact.... a cricket on top of your lens will do the trick, but you'll quickly also have a lizard on top of your lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Hopefully, I have eventually found some acceptable replacements.
    Geoff - replacement images or replacement 'scrutiny committee' members?

A very nice idea for a gift, Jason. The personal touch will certainly overshadow any kind of photo critiquing we've done here, so in the end, go with what you like and think she will like.

- Bill

Real Name
    John

Can't tell from the angle but did it look like this?
    Not My Pet

Real Name
    Jason

Hi all,
    Thank you all for the answers and thoughts. The lizard is not a pet, although my son wishes it was. These photos were taken at the Botanical Gardens in Canberra where these guys abound. Shadowman, it is definately one of those, that one is a mature one. I did get some other shots, one of which I have attached, but the quality is not all that flash. I went with these two photos because I like the different perspective it gives where you can just see one of the eyes and it made me think it was giving something the evil eye, probably something it wanted to eat. I am going to head back to the Gardens and try some more, really need to work on the clarity of the image. Thanks again for answering I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Which Lizard

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Much better, Jason!

Real Name
    Jason

Thank Frank, still think I will try to get some better quality ones

Real Name
    Jason

Hi once again,
    I was out at the Gardens today with my son, he has taken an interest in the camera, and we were chasing the water dragons about. Here is another try, if only I had panned left a bit I would have got the whole tail. Still need to work on my awareness in setting up the photo.

Cheers

Which Lizard

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jason,

It is good to see you steadily improving and things like missing tails still happen to me.

I often find I am so busy getting the focus point on the eye that you just sometimes don't have time, with wildlife, to review the safety shot, spot the missing tail, zoom out or recompose to re-shoot, before they are gone.

Last ones good,

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Much better Jason!

Trying to get a long thin subject in focus is difficult but you did a fine job here. If you back up too much you can get the entire tail but then the subject could be very small in the frame. If the this kind of subject is not parallel to the lens, it is easier to move in closer but then the limited DoF usually puts the entire back of the subject out of focus.

Keep on practicing, posting, and having fun!

I wouldn't worry about missing a little bit of tail in a shot like this, Jason.

But I do wonder if a slight counter clockwise rotation would produce a more pleasing result.

Real Name
    Jason

Hey guys,
    Thanks again for the comments and support, I really appreciate it. I have added a edit with a bit of cc rotation, had to crop a bit as well. Looks ok.

Cheers

Which Lizard

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Much better with the head level. Nice & sharp too. He has an interesting look about him like he's planning his attack LOL. I shoot a decent amount of reptiles and such myself, IMO unless you are going for a wide shot it will be hard to get the whole lizard in frame and still be close enough to get great detail. I usually try to frame them showing just a bit of the base of the tail to get in tighter to show the great detail of there skin/scales.