Thread: Off Camera Flash

Off Camera Flash

I did not want to hijack the thread about flash bracket but I have a related question. I have searched for some simple advice on what I need to use a Canon 430EX (yet to be purchased) off the hot shoe of my 450D (still utilising E-TTL). To be honest most forum threads seem to start off complicated and build on that.

What I would like to know in simple terms is, apart from the camera and flash, what other kit do I need to buy? I am not talking master slave and wireless here just one flash one, camera and maybe a bracket. I know most canonites will recommend the 580EX II and that maybe in the pipeline if I can find a decent deal.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Off Camera Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I have searched for some simple advice on what I need to use a Canon 430EX (yet to be purchased) off the hot shoe of my 450D (still utilising E-TTL) ...

What I would like to know in simple terms is, apart from the camera and flash, what other kit do I need to buy? ... I know most canonites will recommend the 580EX II and that maybe in the pipeline if I can find a decent deal.
    Hi Steve,

First up, the 430EX is obsoleted now - it was replaced by the 430EX II. 580EX II is a far more sophisticated animal though - thoroughly recommended if you can find the extra $$$. As always, if you're buying online, stick to reputable stores -- whatever else you do, don't buy from Sonic Cameras or any of their bait and switch derivatives!

To answer your question, in essence, what you need is a Canon OCSC III (Off Camera Shoe Cord) to take care of the electrical interfacing, and one of the many flash brackets to mount the flash on. The following link gives you photos of both, and a bit of background info on them ...

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...&articleID=126

Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Richard

Colin is right on - as usual...

Regarding flash brckets, there are many-many types available. I prefer the "camera-flip" type to the "flash-flip" type. With the "camera-flip", the bounced flash is always facing the correct direction. With the "flash-flip", you ned to readjust the flash when switching from horizontal to vertical camera positions. The images show the difference.

Note: I did not show the setup with the required off camera flash cord in order to simplify the image.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 12th August 2009 at 04:46 PM.

Colin/rpcrowe

This is really helpful. This forum gives excellent concise responses to questions. I can guarantee that if I had asked the same question on POTN I would have had my equipment trashed and sent on a guilt trip about paying less than $10,000 for my lighting set up.

So it looks like I can get minimum set up with the 430EX II and the off camera shoe cord. I will also take a look around for a flash bracket that allows the camera to be flipped. From what I can gather if I upgrade to the 580EXII later I will be able to use the 430EX II as a slave. That is for another day however.

Many thanks again Gents

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

No Worries Steve - if you like the service, be sure to tell all your friends!

Real Name
    Richard

I use a Chinese knock-off

I use a Chinese knock-off of the Stroboframe brackets. I first purchased the flash flip model and then after getting tired of readjusting the flash head when switching from horizontal to vertical positions, I bought a camera flip model.

Another unique flash bracket is the Siegelite which can be used in several ways both as a macro bracket and as an off camera bracket for non-macro photography. It can also be used with a small umbrella (brolly) by attaching the unbrelly to the bracket and pointing the flash to shoot back into the umbrella.

The Siegelite bracket is only available used on ebay but, usually sells for under $20 (USD) when found. I use mine for macro work and I paid $5 (USD) several years ago at a garage sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Siegelite-Strobe...3A1%7C294%3A50

By the way, you will see a quantum improvement overdirect flash by simply bouncing your flash when attached to the hotshoe. That is why a flash that both tilts and rotates is handy. I use a diffuser on my flash made by Jow Demb. It is relatively inexpensive.

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/diffuser/models/
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 12th August 2009 at 04:46 PM.

It is the Canon OC-E3 Off Camera cable. It is only 2 feet long, so you will not get that far off the camera. You can use the 430EX-II or better yet, the 580EX-II as a slave, and use a Canon ST-E2 controller in the hotshoe of the camera to control the remote

I have an STE-2. It's pretty good, but costs £130ish. It controls any number of slave units over a reasonable distance (enough for shooting).