Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Street Food

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Posts
    42
    Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

    Street Food

    Hi

    I took this near where I live (Shenzhen, China) and it's very busy little street where you can buy all sorts of food mainly at night.

    What I would like to know is, for photos like this, should there be more of a subject/focal point? For instance, would it be better if the two people in the foreground were more prominent? But the idea of the photo is also to show how busy this little street is.

    1/50 5.6 ISO800

    Street Food

  2. #2
    Mark von Kanel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    1,861
    Real Name
    Mark

    Re: Street Food

    I agree with you Paul, i think a larger focal point would add to this image.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Posts
    42
    Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

    Re: Street Food

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    I agree with you Paul, i think a larger focal point would add to this image.
    Thanks Mark, well will just have to go back and try again.

  4. #4
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Street Food

    Hi Paul, you are correct in usually needing a subject that is obvious. Consider the image you posted. What if the angle was just a little lower and slightly to the right looking more to the left. Now add to that the two people in the forefront just a little larger in the image? They would then become the main subject with all of the activity in the background supporting their activity. Hope this helps!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Posts
    42
    Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

    Re: Street Food

    Frank

    Thanks and yes, that makes sense and helps a lot. Will try this again and see if I can get a better result.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Grand Cayman, GT
    Posts
    830
    Real Name
    Graham Heron

    Re: Street Food

    All those colours, lights, people. Could take a few hours to walk through the scene alone, never mind if there is more around the corner.
    Great location.

    BTW, do you use a tripod? Monopod? Handheld?
    (Frist time I used a monopod, people thought I was a pro - wife laughed at that as well)

  7. #7
    speedneeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Owensboro, KY
    Posts
    1,532
    Real Name
    Brian

    Re: Street Food

    Perhaps a shallower DOF would help isolate the subjects too. Can you shoot at f4 or 2.8? I personally prefer the subjects take up a lot of room in an image, though many do not, so I think you can do either! However, I do not like their position in the frame - almost out of it! Frank made a good suggestion about perspective that could improve this type of image as well.
    Now if the subject is the entire street scene, then none of what I said makes any sense
    Thanks for posting.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Posts
    42
    Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

    Re: Street Food

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    All those colours, lights, people. Could take a few hours to walk through the scene alone, never mind if there is more around the corner.
    Great location.

    BTW, do you use a tripod? Monopod? Handheld?
    (Frist time I used a monopod, people thought I was a pro - wife laughed at that as well)
    Hi
    A tripod is definitely next on the shopping list. Although at this location just finding a place to stand is a challenge let alone setting up a tripod.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Posts
    42
    Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

    Re: Street Food

    Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Perhaps a shallower DOF would help isolate the subjects too. Can you shoot at f4 or 2.8? I personally prefer the subjects take up a lot of room in an image, though many do not, so I think you can do either! However, I do not like their position in the frame - almost out of it! Frank made a good suggestion about perspective that could improve this type of image as well.
    Now if the subject is the entire street scene, then none of what I said makes any sense
    Thanks for posting.
    Brian

    I actually thought of taking my 50mm f1.8 to see if I can get a more isolated subject and still have enough of the street in the background. So the in this case the subject is the street scene, but like everyone has said it needs a stronger focal point and the street should be secondary.
    Thanks for the comment it helps.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Street Food

    Hi Paul,

    I'd suggest using a wide-angle zoom; zoom to get the field of view that you're after, and then push in close until something in the foreground (remembering the rule of thirds) assumes a "significant perspective".

    If you can't use a tripod then use a fairly high ISO and/or a monopod.

    Hope this helps

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Posts
    42
    Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

    Re: Street Food

    Thanks Colin, it certainly does help. It's great to see everyone's ideas so this gives me some options to go and try out. Sometimes it's a little daunting when you see an interesting scene like this, but just have no idea where to start or how to approach it.

    Will be back soon...

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,620
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: Street Food

    You are fortunate to get a higher vantage point so you can easily compose for the scene and isolate a place where you want the action to happen, pre-focus and then wait.

  13. #13
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Street Food

    Quote Originally Posted by psevenster View Post
    Hi

    I took this near where I live (Shenzhen, China) and it's very busy little street where you can buy all sorts of food mainly at night.

    What I would like to know is, for photos like this, should there be more of a subject/focal point? For instance, would it be better if the two people in the foreground were more prominent? But the idea of the photo is also to show how busy this little street is.

    1/50 5.6 ISO800

    Street Food
    I was thinking, bit too much space, or, I don't know. Something like this, crowded and confused.
    Street Food

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Posts
    42
    Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

    Re: Street Food

    Bobo, I like your idea, that can certainly work.

    Steve, wow, your crop does turn it into confusion...I think it scares me a little.

  15. #15
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,916
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Street Food

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Street Food
    I think that's a very good re-working of the image. Creates much more of an atmosphere and sets up a good main point of interest with that woman on the right-hand third vertical and the line of lights in front of her and behind.

  16. #16
    stg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    65
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Street Food

    Paul, I suggest you focus on an individual or two and blur all those colored lights in the background for a visually appealing bokeh.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •