Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

  1. #1
    Frankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    324

    Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Yes, after 11 years in a basement apartment on Capitol Hill, I have finally moved away! I've moved to Horse and Wine country, Virginia!... in the middle of nowhere. And it is paradise.

    The following are photos of the view I have from the porch off my bedroom...
    1
    Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    2
    Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    3
    Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    4
    Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    5
    Moving to the Middle of Nowhere


    And there's even a Bald Eagle's nest...
    Moving to the Middle of Nowhere


    And a Bald Eagle flying (not the best shot... he was far away)
    Moving to the Middle of Nowhere


    So, get ready for a lot of nature photos of birds,
    Moving to the Middle of Nowhere


    butterflies,
    Red-Spotted Purple
    Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Buckeye
    Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    and possibly cows and horses!

    Along with all the hiking that I do with my camera, I'm in the perfect place to do a lot of stalking of wildlife and I can't wait!

    This move was the best thing I could do for myself and I couldn't be happier... just me and nature (and you guys to share it with).

    Thank you for joining me on this journey....
    frankie

  2. #2
    jeeperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    3,550
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Wow Frankie! Looks like a great place to get lost in nature photography. I look forward to seeing you exploration of your new home! What adventures and fantastic new inspiration you have ahead of you!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,090
    Real Name
    Wendy

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Great to hear Frankie. You must be grinning ear to ear with a view like that and so much to explore withing walking distance. How will you ever get to work. I would not be able to tear myself away. I hope you have lots of vacation days. I really look forward to seeing this area through your future postings. Lucky you can't see me right now, I am a very saturated shade of green.

    Congratulations on your move

    Wendy

  4. #4
    RockNGoalStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    891
    Real Name
    Tommy

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    You lucky lady! It looks fantastic!

  5. #5
    Dizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Concrete, WA. USA
    Posts
    686
    Real Name
    Mike

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Yes, after 11 years in a basement apartment on Capitol Hill, I have finally moved away! I've moved to Horse and Wine country, Virginia!... in the middle of nowhere. And it is paradise. Thank you for joining me on this journey....
    frankie
    Sweet!! Welcome to wilderness life....

    It has it's downside which will probably hit home about mid-winter, but country people are a
    hardy breed. Buck up an extra cord of firewood, put a couple extra bottles of Bailey's and
    a few more of a good rum (for the hot chocolate toddies), and snuggle in for whatever
    may come.

    Is that up in the Shenandoah? If so, traveled through there many times in my long-haul
    career, and it is indeed beautiful country.

    Mike

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,632
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Wow what a place to look out over every day.

    Guests welcome ?

  7. #7
    KeithH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    308
    Real Name
    Keith

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    I am envious of one lucky lady but thanks for inviting us to share the journey via your pictures Frankie.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Panama City, FL
    Posts
    3,542
    Real Name
    Chris

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    I hope you have a guest room.

  9. #9
    Sam Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arlington,TX
    Posts
    382
    Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    You have made smart move into great country. If you place apples or a salt lick near the fence you will see the dear in the area.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Gloucester UK
    Posts
    455
    Real Name
    John Wright

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    What a view ! Looking forward to the wildlife shots. That's a great 'quality of life move' for sure and you'll soon be getting those famous Fall colours too, I assume.

  11. #11
    Frankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    324

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Thank you everyone for your excitement and willingness to be a part of my journey. Just over a month ago I got out of a very bad situation and needed to make a change. So, this is my butterfly moment... I've emerged from the Chrysalis and ready to start my new life! (yes, I had to bring butterflies into it somehow! )

    Wendy - my office has the same view, so working is not easy.

    Mike - I am a east of the Shenandoah.... . Which means that I'm very close to a lot of awesome hiking!

    Of course Guests are welcome! I finally have the room!!!

    And yes... Fall is rapidly approaching! So, I look forward to the change of colors and wildlife.

    Thanks again for wanting to join me on this journey! Being able to share makes it even more meaningful!
    frankie
    Last edited by Donald; 6th September 2011 at 06:10 PM.

  12. #12
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    After seeing so many of your photographs, Frankie, it was hard for me to imagine you as a city girl. These images give me the warm feeling that you are now back home in your comfortable environment. Congratulations!

  13. #13
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,236
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Wow what a place to look out over every day.

    Guests welcome ?
    Yep, we're having next year's CiC convention just out front there. Plane tickets are booked.

  14. #14
    epmi314's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    471
    Real Name
    Scott Benz

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    I am filled with envy! Especially, the Bald Eagle nest. Frankie you have put yourself at great risk from periodic drop in visitors from all over the world!!! I say the Butterfly is your power animal.



    Butterfly, Power Animal, Symbol of Change, The Soul, Creativity, Freedom, Joy and Colour

    By Ina Woolcott

    Native Americans see the butterfly as a symbol of joy. Feeding on the flowers they help pollinate, they further spread beauty. Butterflies eyes consist of thousands of individual lenses. This gives them the gift of being able to see a single image clearly. They can perceive ultraviolet wavelengths of light, suggesting clairvoyant abilities for those with Butterfly as power animal. The antennae of the butterfly has small knobs on each end which are said to aid orientation. If an antennae is missing the butterfly will fly in circles unable to find its way. If butterfly is your ally you need to remain consciously connected to spirit at all times so you may fulfil your goals.

    Butterfly is the symbol of change, the soul, creativity, freedom, joy and colour. Their power is transformation, shape shifting and soul evolution. They represent the element of air, quickly changing and always on the move gracefully. Butterflies are messengers of the moment and come in a wide array of colours. Studying these colours can help you uncover butterflies message to you. It reminds us not to take things too seriously and to get up and move. They teach us that growth and transformation does not have to be a traumatic experience. It can be joyous. Butterflies possess the ability to grow and change, leaving the safety of their cocoon to discover a new world in a new form without fear, trusting their untested wings to fly without a doubt in their minds. They work through many important stages to become the beautiful creature they are. Similar to the butterfly, we too are always moving through different stages, each equally as vital. It is no good rushing to a particular stage, nor is it good getting stuck at a stage and becoming stagnant. Butterfly is a potent symbol for those considering, or in the throes of, a big change. Butterfly is also one of the most inspiring symbols of the animal world, knowing precisely the time to leave the comfort and limitation of its cocoon, flying freely into the world. Quite frequently, we are not so certain. The cocoon of our thoughts and fears may be limiting, they are also safe and familiar. We can become afraid of what may be outside of our limiting thoughts and belief systems, trapping us and holding us back from ourselves, from our dreams and desires, from our unlimited potential.



    Enjoy your new digs!

  15. #15
    Frankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    324

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Yep, we're having next year's CiC convention just out front there. Plane tickets are booked.

    I hope everyone has sleeping bags and tents!

  16. #16
    shreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,333
    Real Name
    Ian

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Sounds like you will need a couple of marquees and there will still be a queue!

    Gorgeous views there, but believe me you might need to have blinds to pull down to get on with work! I have to in my country hideaway, otherwise I would never get any work done at all, and the view ain't nothing compared to yours!

  17. #17
    Frankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    324

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    I am filled with envy! Especially, the Bald Eagle nest. Frankie you have put yourself at great risk from periodic drop in visitors from all over the world!!! I say the Butterfly is your power animal.



    Butterfly, Power Animal, Symbol of Change, The Soul, Creativity, Freedom, Joy and Colour

    By Ina Woolcott

    Native Americans see the butterfly as a symbol of joy. Feeding on the flowers they help pollinate, they further spread beauty. Butterflies eyes consist of thousands of individual lenses. This gives them the gift of being able to see a single image clearly. They can perceive ultraviolet wavelengths of light, suggesting clairvoyant abilities for those with Butterfly as power animal. The antennae of the butterfly has small knobs on each end which are said to aid orientation. If an antennae is missing the butterfly will fly in circles unable to find its way. If butterfly is your ally you need to remain consciously connected to spirit at all times so you may fulfil your goals.

    Butterfly is the symbol of change, the soul, creativity, freedom, joy and colour. Their power is transformation, shape shifting and soul evolution. They represent the element of air, quickly changing and always on the move gracefully. Butterflies are messengers of the moment and come in a wide array of colours. Studying these colours can help you uncover butterflies message to you. It reminds us not to take things too seriously and to get up and move. They teach us that growth and transformation does not have to be a traumatic experience. It can be joyous. Butterflies possess the ability to grow and change, leaving the safety of their cocoon to discover a new world in a new form without fear, trusting their untested wings to fly without a doubt in their minds. They work through many important stages to become the beautiful creature they are. Similar to the butterfly, we too are always moving through different stages, each equally as vital. It is no good rushing to a particular stage, nor is it good getting stuck at a stage and becoming stagnant. Butterfly is a potent symbol for those considering, or in the throes of, a big change. Butterfly is also one of the most inspiring symbols of the animal world, knowing precisely the time to leave the comfort and limitation of its cocoon, flying freely into the world. Quite frequently, we are not so certain. The cocoon of our thoughts and fears may be limiting, they are also safe and familiar. We can become afraid of what may be outside of our limiting thoughts and belief systems, trapping us and holding us back from ourselves, from our dreams and desires, from our unlimited potential.



    Enjoy your new digs!
    Scott.... OMG - you have NO idea! I actually have a very strong connection with butterflies.
    frankie

  18. #18
    Frankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    324

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Sounds like you will need a couple of marquees and there will still be a queue!

    Gorgeous views there, but believe me you might need to have blinds to pull down to get on with work! I have to in my country hideaway, otherwise I would never get any work done at all, and the view ain't nothing compared to yours!
    Ian, I'm starting to understand that. I do find myself looking out the window when ever something catches my eye... hoping it's a butterfly or bird. Not good for the ADD :-)

  19. #19
    epmi314's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    471
    Real Name
    Scott Benz

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Scott.... OMG - you have NO idea! I actually have a very strong connection with butterflies.
    frankie
    Well there you go!

    I had one hell of a year in 2010 not fun. But one morning last fall there was a huge Bald Eagle flying around a pond behind my house. It was completely out of place. I ran inside and picked up a camera, took some terrible shots but that is how I began to enjoy learning about photography. I'm not great, perhaps not even very good but the journey has been very, very enjoyable. I decided the Eagle came to me for a reason and it is amazing how much sense it makes once I did a little research.

    We will all be looking forward to your future photos. There are not doubt thousands waiting for you right outside your door!

  20. #20
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,395
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Moving to the Middle of Nowhere

    Hi Frankie,

    Please add me to the list of envious potential visitors, great place you have there.

    Good luck with the new house and its many scenic diversions

    All the best and keep whetting our apetite,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •