Thread: I need help with choosing program for editing photos

Real Name
    Svetlana

I need help with choosing program for editing photos

I am new with photos, right now i am trying to decide what programm i should get to eddit my pictures. I have kids in hight school and very soon need to do some senior pictures. I have Mac and PC, but most of the time my pictures are on Mac.
    Thanks

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: I need help with choosing program for editing photos

Hello and welcome to CiC. You might want to go across to the Meet the Members section of the forum and put in an introductory post telling us about yourself.

So far as your question is concerned, I think there are some questions you need to consider.

• What camera do you have? Is it a DSLR and did you get a post-processing package with it? For example of you have a Canon DSLR you likely got Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP) with it.
    • What do you see as your level of interest in developing and extending post-processing skills? Do you intend to reach intermediate or advanced level in terms of post-processing ability or do you want a package that will do very basic edits for family album type shots?
    • What budget do you have available, or do you want to use an open-source (free but you can donate) package?
    Once you have some thoughts about these questions, people will be able to give you more informed suggestions.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 26th August 2011 at 09:08 PM.

Real Name
    Svetlana

Hi Donald, i tryed to go across to the Meet Members, but it won't let me post there it keep saying i need to log in.

I have Canon EOS, i would like the programm to help me to get to prefecional level, my budget about $150 for that.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 26th August 2011 at 09:09 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Svetik View Post
    I have Canon EOS, i would like the programm to help me to get to prefecional level, my budget about $150 for that.
    So, do you have Canon DPP software? Have you tried that?

It is a very good introduction to post-processing. And many people do not use anything else.

I would suggest you start with DPP and if your interest continues to develop, then you can think of moving on to a more comprehensive tool; e.g. one of the Adobe suite of programmes or open-source software such as The GIMP.

I am afraid that the top of the range commercial product, Adobe Photoshop, is considerably more than your existing budget. I use the GIMP which is free to download. But, because there are fewer learning resources than for Adobe products, it can be more of a challenge for some people to learn how to use it. But, as I have written before, if I can learn it, then anyone can.

If you did choose to consider the GIMP, I would always recommend Meet the GIMP as the best learning resource available.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 26th August 2011 at 09:09 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 is always on sale and a nice way to enter the world of PP. There are a multitude of plug-ins that really make the workflow simple and it's very easy to become acquainted with. Just my two cents.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Photoshop Elements 9 is usually below $100 and is currently $89. It is available for both platforms; unfortunately you will have to choose one as the disc is either one or the other. Elements will do almost everything you need to start with and often everything you will ever need

Consider Apple Aperture, it is downloadable from the Apple store online for about $80. Fantastic so far. Just slow because I am running it on a computer which is too feeble to run the program properly. Too cheap to upgrade the machine. I have lenses to buy before a new computer is on the agenda

I use both. I am still learning Aperture but so far I like it.

Real Name
    John

How much editing experience do you have? All of the programs listed are very good but you want to at least learn the basics and you can do that with some free software.

Real Name
    Joe

I use Paintshop Pro X2. Love it. Can be found on ebay quite cheap.

Real Name
    Svetlana

Few years ago i was learning PS3 , but then i had to put aside because i couldnt but it and i stoped taking photos (family health) now i want to get back to it.
    What differents betwin student edition Photoshop PS5 and regular? My daugther is senior this year, so we can get that one.
    I am still thinking about what program to get, but i think i will go with Adobe.

As far as I can understand the rather complicated Adobe pricing structure, a Student version is identical to the full price software. But you can't upgrade it to a new version for any discounted upgrade price. You have to pay the full price for new software.

I assume if you were still a student you could get another student discount deal. But once you end your studies, pass or fail, you have to pay full price.

I was looking for some Senior Citizen deals but we have to pay the full price.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Few years ago i was learning PS3 , but then i had to put aside because i couldnt but it and i stoped taking photos (family health) now i want to get back to it.
    What differents betwin student edition Photoshop PS5 and regular? My daugther is senior this year, so we can get that one.
    I am still thinking about what program to get, but i think i will go with Adobe.
    Hi Svetlana, My grandson is in college and was able to get the Student and Teacher Edition of Photoshop, which is the CS5 Extended version.

Real Name
    John

Adobe has versions in both Mac and PC. I got by with ACDSee for years until I started shooting images in RAW format. I now use Elements and I have not used it to its full potential, meaning there is so much more I can do with it so I find it very rewarding and challenging.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

What difference between student edition Photoshop CS5 and regular? My daugther is senior this year, so we can get that one.
    I am still thinking about what program to get, but I think I will go with Adobe.
    One is licenced for use only by Students unterdaking a specified course of study, whereas the other is licensed for use by anybody and for anything.

http://www.adobe.com/education/stude...cherlicensing/

http://www.adobe.com/education/students/

Eligibility

The following individuals are eligible to purchase Adobe Student and Teacher Editions:
    • University and college students — students enrolled at a higher education institution defined as an accredited
      public or private university or college (including community, junior, or vocational college) that grants degrees
      requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study
    • Primary and secondary school students — students enrolled at an accredited public or private primary or
      secondary school providing full-time instruction
    • Faculty and staff — teachers and staff employed by an accredited primary or secondary school, public or private university or college, school district, or board of education (including emeritus status professors)
    • Homeschooled students and their teachers — students and teachers as defined by state homeschooling regulations
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 28th August 2011 at 01:01 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

Keep in mind, all that is necessary to qualify is the taking of one course (any course) at an accredited college/university. And, most tech schools have great photo classes that can prove to be invaluable. I highly recommend taking one or two.

Real Name
    Lennart Elg

Get Photoshop Elements! It is cheap, it can do most of what its bigger brother can do, and it has more on-line tutorials to help you get started than the competition (a large proportion of Photoshop tips will work on Elements as well).

Real Name
    Svetlana

Thanks everyone for your response ;-)