Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Beach Dogs

Real Name
    Trace

Beach Dogs

I've been enjoying the winter sunsets at the local beach with my pups over the past weeks... so thought I'd share
    Beach Dogs

Beach Dogs

Beach Dogs

Beach Dogs

Beach Dogs

Beach Dogs

Forgive me for posting so many... but they're my kids and apparently I've no self-control where they are concerned

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Beach Dogs

Trace

They're all gorgeous pictures of nice times. In terms a more constructive critical appraisal, I'd go to #1 and #2 as very good images in terms of composition, lighting, a story. I think they are lovely images.

#5 tells us about being at the beach, but is not such a well lit or composed image, in my view.

#3 and #4 are good potrait shopts of the dogs, but I think the last one suffers from the fact that you are up high looking down on the dog.

But #1 and #2 are gorgeous.

Real Name
    Steve

What kind of dogs are they; I had a sheepdog once that went nuts whenever it went to the beach.

Real Name
    Trace

Thanks Donald, appreciate your feedback And yes, I agree with all of what you have said. The first two are my choices as well... and are the ones I am generally more willing to share with non-doggy audiences, though 2 would have much more impact if she'd been looking towards me. The portraits of my oldies (3&4) are treasured simply because they are old now and every photo of them enjoying life suddenly becomes more special. 5 & 6 were just cause I couldn't help myself
    Appreciate you taking the time to look and comment!

Real Name
    Trace

They are shetland sheepdogs / shelties I also have a border collie who would not be happy to know she'd been left out And yes they all love the beach- we are fortunate it is so close and we can frequent it often; helps us all stay fit and sane.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoByTrace View Post
    Beach Dogs
    Wonderful colours!

Real Name
    Peter

Very nice shots (I like them all (although 1 and 2 are the best), because I am doggy audience). I also know how difficult it is to photograph them, as they are constantly moving, so great work.

Real Name
    Bill S

Trace,

I like them all except for #3. The angle and crop produce a kind of floating dog head-and-shoulders with nothing to ground it. Even the OOF tail on the left just seems to cause more confusion for me. The lack of legs or the rest of the dog just doesn't sit well in my head.

However, having said that, I have to disagree with Donald's comment about the last one. I think that (unless all of your shots are from this perspective) this kind of shot gives a sense of a dog's obedience and devotion to its owner. That gaze - especially the one here that is full of affection and happiness - can be very powerful in a dog shot. Especially when it is balanced with many of the shots like you have that are more on his/her level. So I personally like it.

Nice shots of a beautiful dog.

- Bill

Real Name
    Trace

Quote Originally Posted by manthos View Post
    Wonderful colours!
    Thanks! I am blessed with a sunset like this at least once a week at this time of year. And when the ocean is calm the colours through the water and the reflections in the sand bring as much pleasure as savouring chocolate

Real Name
    Trace

Thanks Peter, Glad you enjoyed them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    Very nice shots (I like them all (although 1 and 2 are the best), because I am doggy audience). I also know how difficult it is to photograph them, as they are constantly moving, so great work.
    Bill, thanks for your feedback! And yes, I can see your perspective on number 3... the combination of the angle, the dof, and the half-way between head-shot and full-body didn't produce the most well-balanced portrait. And yes, I do also like the last one for that exact reason, even though I'm aware it breaks the perspective/dog/pet photography "rule"; it does capture a look and a moment that I see on a daily basis and that never fails to get me to smile in return.

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Trace,

I like them all except for #3. The angle and crop produce a kind of floating dog head-and-shoulders with nothing to ground it. Even the OOF tail on the left just seems to cause more confusion for me. The lack of legs or the rest of the dog just doesn't sit well in my head.

However, having said that, I have to disagree with Donald's comment about the last one. I think that (unless all of your shots are from this perspective) this kind of shot gives a sense of a dog's obedience and devotion to its owner. That gaze - especially the one here that is full of affection and happiness - can be very powerful in a dog shot. Especially when it is balanced with many of the shots like you have that are more on his/her level. So I personally like it.

Nice shots of a beautiful dog.

- Bill
    Last edited by PhotoByTrace; 3rd August 2011 at 06:45 AM.

Real Name
    John

Very nice images. It's amazing how dogs will avoid a bath but give them the opportunity to get wet on their own and there's no stopping them.

Real Name
    Yvonne

The second image really tells the story. Great image.

Real Name
    Richard

All are neat images but, somehow I like #1 the best!

Real Name
    Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Very nice images. It's amazing how dogs will avoid a bath but give them the opportunity to get wet on their own and there's no stopping them.
    So VERY true!

Quote Originally Posted by Evn1ngStar View Post
    The second image really tells the story. Great image.
    Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Thanks Richard!

Real Name
    Peter

Great fun shots. Should be more of them - thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Well, I know that for me it's the simplicity of it. And the colours complement it very nicely.