Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Three of a kind

Three of a kind

Three images from the same one all slightly different interpretation of the same thing, comments are very welcome here

Image A

Three of a kind

Image B

Three of a kind

Image C

Three of a kind

Camera Make: Canon
    Camera Model: Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL
    Focal Length: 17.0mm (35mm equivalent: 115m...
    CCD Width: 5.31mm
    Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
    Aperture: f/10.0
    ISO Equiv.: 400
    Whitebalance: Auto
    Metering Mode: matrix
    Exposure: Manual

Many thanks

Lincs1
    Last edited by Lincs1; 17th March 2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Added EXIF

Re: Three of a kind

not sure I see any diff between A and C....
    B loooks way too blurry for me...although I like the saturation there.

For me, A looks natural. Maybe a tad flat, but it looks like a flat day anyway. B is over the top. C is fractionally brighter in places but you have lost a bit of the dramatic effect from those dark clouds.

So I would opt for A.

Possibly, with a bit of time and a bit of effort using layers, or other method, you could brighten everything except the sky. Not too much though, and it will take a bit of time so I would wonder if it would be worthwhile. However, if you have time and want to experiment . . .

Real Name
    Chris

perhaps the sky and half of the sharpening from A with the land colours of B Nigel? c has gone very dull at my end.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

How about this?

Three of a kind

Thanks for all your comments, it was a poor day, light grey and flat, the skies opened a couple of minutes after this was taken.

I certainly felt that No 1 was the most natural and I preferred the sky, the second one lost the detail in the sky and was a little over saturated. The last one a little too soft

Lincs1

A for me, looks like it was probably more a true image of the day it was taken where as B looks like it came off a postcard rack Sorry

To me photo is just a bit underexposed but the sky is overexposed and ugly... I'd lighten up a bit and add different sky in PP... Scene itself beatiful indeed...

Real Name
    Ian

Nigel,

I like A, looks most natural. In Scotland the colours can be very vibrant with clear light and Colin's rendition looks too flat. I was recently at a competition where the judge thought excessive HDR had been used on a shot, but the photographer confirmed it was virtually 'straight out of the camera' though shot early morning in very clear Scottish air, which really lifted the heathers and brackens with bright early morning sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Nigel,

I like A, looks most natural. In Scotland the colours can be very vibrant with clear light and Colin's rendition looks too flat. I was recently at a competition where the judge thought excessive HDR had been used on a shot, but the photographer confirmed it was virtually 'straight out of the camera' though shot early morning in very clear Scottish air, which really lifted the heathers and brackens with bright early morning sunlight.
    Thanks for your comments, it was an extremely flat sky day, which left everything dull, oh for some of the blue stuff, it would have made the colours vibrant.

Lincs1

There is one trick you could try which sometimes adds a bit of zip to tired looking photos. Unsharp Mask at something like 30% and 50 Radius. No guarantee of success but it might be worth a try.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Nigel,

Unfortunately, the problem with increasing the contrast in that image is that the blown area of cloud blows out even more - and the shadow detail around the building disappears altogether - so unfortunately I was left with no other choice that to go for the "realistic" look

Some interesting comments, this was never going to achieve any thing really, too many problems with the flat sky, and poor light conditions. Have to go back again when the weather is better.

Lincs1