Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Away From Home

Real Name
    Andrew

Away From Home

This little guy just left the nest today. My kids have been watching them from the time they were eggs. Not really into nature photography, but I thought I'd try my hand at it!
    Away From Home

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: Away From Home

That is extremely sharp, the detail in the feathers is phenomenal!

I'm not sure wht others will say, but my only issue with it is that you have such a narrow depth of focus that while the beak is sharp the eyes are not. I've always been of the school of thought that the eyes are the most important point of focus in nature photography but in this case, due to such a narrow DoF, if that were the case then the beautiful feathers would not be in focus. It's a tough one and I can't quite make my mind up on it.

I still really love the colour and detail

Real Name
    Andrew

Hey Tommy - you could not have summed up what I think of this photo better than I could have myself. I should have upped the f-stop, and decreased shutter speed to increase DoF just a little to get the whole bird in focus. That's an obvious beginner mistake, and I'm trying to overcome those. I also believe the eyes are the key to the picture, but I do like how the feathers turned out. Hard one to call. Thank you for helping me though!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Hey Tommy - you could not have summed up what I think of this photo better than I could have myself. I should have upped the f-stop, and decreased shutter speed to increase DoF just a little to get the whole bird in focus. That's an obvious beginner mistake, and I'm trying to overcome those. I also believe the eyes are the key to the picture, but I do like how the feathers turned out. Hard one to call. Thank you for helping me though!
    Hi Andrew,

I agree with the joint view about eye focusing, but looking at the EXIF data; 1/30s, f/5.6, iso 100, 100mm; I would not recommend dropping the shutter speed further - you have been amazingly lucky not to have subject movement, or camera shake, spoil this already, I would put the iso up to 400 or even 800, and shoot at f/8 or f/11.

I might crop/compose a little less tightly too, but only a smidge.

Great shot though, well done,

Real Name
    Andrew

Hey Dave - that was great feedback. I've gone back and cropped a little less, is this kind of what you were meaning?

Interestingly enough, my wife often notices my 'shaky hands', yet when I'm holding a camera, I seem to be able to shoot at quite low shutter speeds! You're not the first to notice. Not sure why that is, but I won't complain!
    Away From Home

Real Name
    Seri

Hi Andrew,

I love how you caught its gesture, and the way it's only holding on with some of its claws, but not all.....and the feather details, of course......I have a thing about found feathers and have a whole collection at home My American friends tell me it's illegal over there to even pick up dropped feathers. Is it the same in Canada?

Seri

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Andrew

Just want to join those who have commented in complimenting you on this one. And to agree with the very useful feedback that's been posted.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Donald, I'm really enjoying the forums - wish I would have found it a long time ago! @ Seri, I don't know of any laws regarding feathers here in Canada - I hope there aren't any, my daughter keeps them all the time!! I believe in the US, it's only the Bald Eagle feathers that are protected, but I may be wrong.

Thanks again everyone!