Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Birth of a Concept

Birth of a Concept

This is an early days view of something I have just started to work on. My eyes are closing so I a slapped a border on it and have posted for any initial reactions. I think there may be a way to go with this particularly with the subject. I have a few ideas kicking around. I just need the motivation

Birth of a Concept

Re: Birth of a Concept

Interesting! Really, very interesting!

What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Interesting! Really, very interesting!

What is it?
    Oh, are those pills?

Real Name
    Abhi

Very interesting image, Steve. It makes me think. Based on the way the pills are held, my mind can not decide if they are being offered, or barely presented for inspection.

The diagonal hand grabbing the sheet(?) gives the impression of the sheet being pulled towards the bottom right, and the wrinkles in the sheet support that thought. But we do not know for certain where the sheet was before it was pulled. The photo gives me an impression that it was over the hands. In that case, why was the person trying to hide the pills? and from who?

It tells a story. But an incomplete one, which makes the shot very intriguing to me.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The hands and the clothing that we can see made me think of miners with blackened faces after just having completed a shift down the pit. And I was sure that wasn't the story you are seeking to tell.

Whatever is wrinkled - probably cloth but a paper bag came to mind - that with the dirty hands makes me think "homeless". It's odd and makes me think - the upper right hand seems to be holding up - supporting (but in not so good of a way) the other.

I have no idea if it's the composiition or final product that you want but it's already arresting - draws me right in and makes me think.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    This is an early days view of something I have just started to work on. My eyes are closing so I a slapped a border on it and have posted for any initial reactions. I think there may be a way to go with this particularly with the subject. I have a few ideas kicking around. I just need the motivation

Birth of a Concept
    Gritty reality Steve. My interpretation: poverty-stiricken, down-trodden, slave to the capitalist machine; salvation through escape with mind-numbing substances; an offering for a way out of misery.

I'd like to see more.

R

Real Name
    Janis

All I know is that I love the tones, texture and composition.

Real Name
    Chris

Love it... I just finished doing a workshop with Jerry Ulesmann this last weekend and your work is right up that same lane. the only difference is Jerry only works with film. His wife, Maggie Taylor is the computer generated wizbanger and I think you'd love her work.

http://www.uelsmann.net/

http://maggietaylor.com/

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    Gritty reality Steve. My interpretation: poverty-stiricken, down-trodden, slave to the capitalist machine; salvation through escape with mind-numbing substances; an offering for a way out of misery.

I'd like to see more.

R
    What Raylee said, but I'm wondering if the hands offering the pills should be clean and manicured, maybe even some crisp white cuffs and holding the pills just out of reach of a stretched out work worn gritty looking bony hand, or would that make it so obvious that it would be an insult to the viewer - like explaining a joke or something insinuating that the viewer will not get it unless it is right in his or her face.

Wendy

Real Name
    Richard

This image is reminiscent of a Dorothea Lang photo of the Depression Era in America...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothea_Lange

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    What Raylee said, but I'm wondering if the hands offering the pills should be clean and manicured, maybe even some crisp white cuffs and holding the pills just out of reach of a stretched out work worn gritty looking bony hand, or would that make it so obvious that it would be an insult to the viewer - like explaining a joke or something insinuating that the viewer will not get it unless it is right in his or her face.

Wendy
    I'll just bet, though, that he completely has a reason for the hands being like they are...

Hey, Steve, you just dropped it and left. You're doing a Kaskais - very enigmatic of you!

Real Name
    Kay

hmmmm now I would like to see more as well....
    I find myself wondering what the subject matter would look like if the nahds were sort of reversed into the receiver of the pills holding out both hands (like for communion wafer) and the offerer of the pills doing so onto the palms....?
    But maybe that would make it to normal & cliche'd which we do not want at all..... a difference in the texture 'dirtyness' of the 2 would be interesting as well..

Do you know, it is one of those weeks when I dont seem to have 2 minutes to stack against each other. I will try to give a generic response

Firstly thanks for all the comments and suggestions. It is exactly what I wanted. It certainly had the desired effect of getting people thinking. I omitted a title on purpose because I want viewers to make their own minds up about what it means. The coal blackened look was intentional but I think I over did it - one of my little weaknesses as Dorcas Lane would say. I really wanted to make it as gritty and dark as possible. The comments about making the pill holding hands softer (or gentler) is interesting. I tried it but it just didn't sit right with me. Having said that I am only on the start of my journey with this theme so who knows. I will keep you posted.
    Love it... I just finished doing a workshop with Jerry Ulesmann this last weekend and your work is right up that same lane. the only difference is Jerry only works with film. His wife, Maggie Taylor is the computer generated wizbanger and I think you'd love her work.

Thanks Chris and many thanks for the links. They have given me plenty to think about. The Maggie Taylor work is very surreal and almost Pythonesque - its great stuff

As you may have guessed from my reply I am a bit rushed tonight but I did get chance to have a further play. I have may more thoughts on the theme but it may have to wait until the weekend. Just to reiterate; I really do appreciate your comments and I am not happy that I cant take time to reply to each of your separately

Birth of a Concept

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Just to reiterate; I really do appreciate your comments and I am not happy that I cant take time to reply to each of your separately
    Don't fret, lad. Just being on the journey with you is exciting.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post

Guess who my GP was

I find people like me irritating.

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/lifesty..._snark_hunter/

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post

I agree Chris.The Harn Museum in Gainesville has an exhibit going right now if i'm not mistaken entitled "50 years of Jerry Uelsmann".I went and checked it out when i went to the butterfly exhibit.Was really impressed with his work especially the tree with the house on top of it.