Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rain birds

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Rain birds

Commonly called rain birds these birds move in family groups and have a range of very distinctive calls which, if heard, are a pretty sure indicator that rain will fall within a couple of days. Their playful antics are a delight to observe. For the purists they are also known as Yellow Eyed Currajongs. I prefer to call them rain birds.

Rain birds

rob marshall

Re: Rain birds

This reminded me of the scene in Jungle Book with the vultures sitting in the bare tree...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGTWmrnPdgk

Real Name
    John Wright

Nice photo but what t a pity they weren't sitting closer and you'd have been able to crop in a bit but photo. ops. of wildlife are not always that obliging are they. They have very distinctive yellow eyes - they sort of look like a smaller version of our crows or more so like our a magpies without the big tail. What do they sound like.. a screech ? I wonder why they seem to (or do) forecast rain ?

Any chance of getting a photo of a Kookaburra ? Are they the ones with the 'Amazon' type call ? You have some superb birds in Australia.

I'd mentioned the Kookaburra before I found this video of the Rain Bird but the Kookaburra in the footage isn't calling. The Rain bird has real attitude Lol. As they can forecast rain you''d think this one would have taken cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JNCBM4C2r4

Looking forward to seeing more of your wildlife, Ken.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    This reminded me of the scene in Jungle Book with the vultures sitting in the bare tree...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGTWmrnPdgk
    Hi Rob
    Thanks for viewing and commenting.
    K

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC
    Looking forward to seeing more of your wildlife, Ken.
    Well, in that case check out the thread I posted just for you in response. But as for viewing more of our wild life? Bad luck old son. My wife flatly refuses to sign a model's release.
    Thanks for viewing and interest.
    K
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 7th July 2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

OH! LOL!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi John
    So here's the go. Would you believe that I went back to the park and organized for the very same two birds to pose for another shot, sititng closer together as you suggested? You wouldn't? You reckon this is a load of BS? Well would you believe a little bit of PS then?
    Cheers
    Ken

Rain birds

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Hi John
    So here's the go. Would you believe that I went back to the park and organized for the very same two birds to pose for another shot, sititng closer together as you suggested? You wouldn't? You reckon this is a load of BS? Well would you believe a little bit of PS then?
    Cheers
    Ken

Rain birds
    AMAZING......!!!

it is, though, you know - much improved and, well, I wouldn't be able to tell.

er, Cheers!

Real Name
    John Wright

Lol-Amazing but it's really good.People have qualms about what PS can do, putting stuff in that wasn't there or taking bits of this and that out-my neighbour was photographer at a wedding last year and granddad was ill and was unable to attend or he was even in hospital but PS had him in amongst the family group photo (I can't recall exactly but I think it would have to have been just a head and shoulders shot) and for me that was ok as the family requested it, it wasn't deceiving anyone. I don't see anything wrong with getting these birds closer together tbh. because they were actually there together anyway -just a bit too far apart ,so really the scene was as it is now -just the distances have been changed, it's a great photo.

Thanks for the other photos,I have replied and posted photos of one of your birds(the Zebra Finch) that was once in our garden in 2009.