Thread: Can I enlarge this?

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Can I enlarge this?

My wife wants me to get this print made up to hang in our office. I'm worried if I get it enlarged to a poster size that noise will show and it wont look as sharp.

Can I get some advice on making poster size prints? Also can I get an opinion on how this would look at 24 x 36?

Any advice wold be appreciated. Thank you. Please DL attachment for full size.

Can I enlarge this?

Hmm I seem to be having problems getting the full size to upload.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KTHXBAI; 27th June 2011 at 02:41 AM.

Real Name
    Pops

Re: Can I enlarge this?

Taking any photograph to poster size will depend on the distance at which it is to be viewed. How far from the poster will she be when looking at it? That is going to be the deciding factor.

Does it have to be full poster size? Are you covering a blemish in the wall or a door or such? Perhaps a smaller size, but still large would please her. I take D40 (6Mp) photographs up to 16x20 quite regularly and will take the D200 to twice that with no hesitation.

Pops

rob marshall

I have just had two prints back from the printers printed at A2 size, which is about 24x16 inches.They are at my framers now, and should come back at about 30x21 inches with the mount and frame. The first one was easy as it was taken with a 21MP camera (5D Mk2). It looks very impressive. The second one was taken with my Panasonic G1 4/3 camera which is 12MP, but even that came out really well too. Probably not quite as good as the first one, but quite acceptable. Pops is right - a lot depends upon the viewing distance. It's a bit like the universe - not much matter, with an incredible amount of space between the matter, but we still have this nice neat 'picture' in our heads of what it looks like!

Taken with a 5D (5294x3744 pixels)
    Can I enlarge this?

Taken with a G1 (4000x3000 pixeld - not cropped)
    Can I enlarge this?

Real Name
    Chris

One should never view anything closer that the length of their body...for the initial impact view, unless i tis a very samll image and even then, not closer than 3 feet. Detail viewing is another thing altogether, but for the overall impact, a reasonable distance must be given to allow both the brain's hemispheres to do some cognitive analysis.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    but for the overall impact, a reasonable distance must be given to allow both the brain's hemispheres to do some cognitive analysis.
    You just answered all my questions in life... or at least helped me understand the disconnect in not finding the answers...my brain's hemispheres ( I didn't know my brain had hemispheres )have been compromised.

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Thanks Pops, MiniChris and Rob. (Great photos as always Rob) Okay well I will give it a shot! Anyone have any good experience they want to share with an online printer? I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Real Name
    Pops

I have tried several of the online printers. More than one come up to my expectations of how I like to see my photographs printed. For price and for consistency in matching my eye, I use adoramapix.com I opened an account with them so I could get the notices of print sales. I have a number of prepaid prints sitting out there, waiting for me to order.

Just remember that shipping will increase the cost of prints, online. I very seldom order one or two prints, as the shipping charge is $5.99 per order. When ordering 5 or more prints, that gets amortized down quite nicely.

Some photographers like one printer over another, because that printer matches what that 'tog has in mind. Others like a different printer because that printer comes closer to what is desired. Try a few and see which matches your eye and budget.

Pops