Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Spider's Larder 4 C&C please

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Spider's Larder 4 C&C please

Noticed in this fence strainer a local spider had taken up residence in the central hub and had a cache of food in there for Ron... later on. However the fence strainer wheel was the subject, not the arachnid's grub.
    Took this with a canon E1000 and an EFS 10=22mm lens, TV setting. Trying to put into practice what I have learned here so far on how to use a wide angle lens. Picked up a good idea posted by some one else, i.e. concentrate on using this one particular lens for at least a month and try to get to some understanding of how to use it correctly

Spider's Larder 4 C&C please

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Spider's Larder 4 C&C please

Ken,

Honestly - an you won't hear me say this often - I think you might be better off cloning the spider out. I find it a bit distracting, and there isn't enough detail to make it an interesting part of the shot.

As for the rest of the shot, I can't really tell for sure, but it has the feeling of a shot with a tilted horizon. I'm not sure if it is the fence wires, or the fact that the blue mountains in the background are only on one side or what. But that brings me to my next point - I feel your main subject is fine, but your background is distracting - particularly the tree/bush on the right. Had those blue mountains in the background continued, I think it would be much more balanced and pleasing. With so much symmetry in the machined metal, having a chaotic background like that just pulls my eyes from the pattern and symmetry of the fence strainer.

Hope this helps.

- Bill

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Ken,

Honestly - an you won't hear me say this often - I think you might be better off cloning the spider out. I find it a bit distracting, and there isn't enough detail to make it an interesting part of the shot.

As for the rest of the shot, I can't really tell for sure, but it has the feeling of a shot with a tilted horizon. I'm not sure if it is the fence wires, or the fact that the blue mountains in the background are only on one side or what. But that brings me to my next point - I feel your main subject is fine, but your background is distracting - particularly the tree/bush on the right. Had those blue mountains in the background continued, I think it would be much more balanced and pleasing. With so much symmetry in the machined metal, having a chaotic background like that just pulls my eyes from the pattern and symmetry of the fence strainer.

Hope this helps.

- Bill
    It sure does! Thank you for very positive and helpful critique. As I said, I am tryiong to come to terms with the wide angle lens. So, I fell at the first fence. No problems. Just a matter of getting up, dusting off and taking heed of good advice Thank you.
    K

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    It sure does! Thank you for very positive and helpful critique. As I said, I am tryiong to come to terms with the wide angle lens. So, I fell at the first fence. No problems. Just a matter of getting up, dusting off and taking heed of good advice Thank you.
    K
    I think that is why I like macro work so much.... when you're dealing with such a small area in your viewfinder, there seems to be fewer things to pay attention to. When you switch to wide-angle, the checklist of things to pay attention to seems to get exponentially longer. I feel that is why wide-angle stuff is so much more difficult. At least for me.

- Bill