Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Choosing A Monitor

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Choosing A Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Yes and every year we hear that the manufacturers have mastered the production process for an affordable price. And every year so far we have been disappointed. Let's see if 2017 or even 2018 is finally the year of the breakthrough. Once Samsung, LG, et al have mastered the TV screen production, we might end up seeing these in computer screens.
    I fold. I put up a link to a Dell OLED monitor and here comes a suggestion that it apparently doesn't exist and that the "breakthrough" has yet to happen!

The contrast is great the colours vibrant, but can these units do subtlety?
    What?

TV watchers have a different set of requirements than people working on computer screens in an office setting versus those working digital still images.
    No comment. I fold.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 7th November 2017 at 12:15 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I fold. I put up a link to a Dell OLED monitor and here comes a suggestion that it apparently doesn't exist and that the "breakthrough" has yet to happen!

What?

No comment. I fold.
    http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-...or-accessories

None of the people I follow have recommended that particular model, so I don't know why.

I suspect it is like related to value, with a list price of almost $USD 2000, there are units that are a lot less expensive with virtually the same specs (100% sRGB, 100% AdobeRGB, 1:1000 contrast). The other issue could be the brightness; the unit specs mentions 400 nits to 1000 nits range, whereas photo editing is done at around 100 nits, so I wonder if there is a low light performance issue.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    The other issue could be the brightness; the unit specs mentions 400 nits to 1000 nits range, whereas photo editing is done at around 100 nits, so I wonder if there is a low light performance issue.
    (emphasis added by me)

Oh dear, another technical term I don't know!

So I went to trusty Wikipedia and discovered that a nit was a louse or the egg of a louse – but then I read a few lines more and saw that a nit could also be a measurement related to candelas.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    (emphasis added by me)

Oh dear, another technical term I don't know!

So I went to trusty Wikipedia and discovered that a nit was a louse or the egg of a louse – but then I read a few lines more and saw that a nit could also be a measurement related to candelas.
    1 nit = 1 candela / square metre.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123