Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 50mm f/1.4 for Macro

Real Name
    Tommy

50mm f/1.4 for Macro

Hi All,

I am considering getting a 50mm 1.4 lens for my D90, mainly for portraiture / low-light conditions.

I have decided to go for the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX HSM as I prefer the look of the bokeh to the Nikkor versions.

My question is this... Can I use this lens as a macro lens? I know it will have a wafer-thin DoF and should produce some nice results, but will I have enough magnification and a small enough focusing distance to get close enough?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tom

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: 50mm f/1.4 for Macro

Tom,

Looking at the specs, that lens has a minimum focusing distance of 17.7 in / 45 cm. However, at a maximum magnification of 1:7.4, I would not consider it macro at all, and you're probably going to be hard pressed to put accessories (extension tubes/close-up filters) on it to make it get close to 1:1.

- Bill

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

I have the Nikkor... I love it, but no, it is not a macro lens.

Real Name
    Tommy

OK thanks for the replies. I have bought the 50mm anyway - I want a nice portraiture lens with low-light capability and nice bokeh and shallow DoF.

If I get into macro photography in the future then I will just have to buy a dedicated macro lens I guess!

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    OK thanks for the replies. I have bought the 50mm anyway - I want a nice portraiture lens with low-light capability and nice bokeh and shallow DoF.

If I get into macro photography in the future then I will just have to buy a dedicated macro lens I guess!
    oh - don't get me wrong... I'm certain you'll be very pleased with the lens... just if you tried to use it as a macro, you would not be pleased.

And yes, if you really want to get into macro, there is no substitute for a dedicated 1:1 macro.

- Bill

Real Name
    Mark

Why don't you put extention tubes on before the lens and give it a go,you might be excited at you results!

A lot will depend on exactly what you want to photograph, Tommy. But if you want to get serious about small insects, etc, then it will be 'quite a lot'. So start saving now.

And the usual warning: Macro photography can be addictive and will seriously damage your wealth.

Real Name
    Debbie

"I have decided to go for the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX HSM as I prefer the look of the bokeh to the Nikkor versions."

Very curious about this. Does the manufacturer of the lense really make a noticable difference in regards to lense blur? Blurry is blurry isn't it? ...and more a result of aperature and distance? Just curious...school me.

Debbie

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by djg05478 View Post
    Very curious about this. Does the manufacturer of the lense really make a noticable difference in regards to lense blur? Blurry is blurry isn't it? ...and more a result of aperature and distance? Just curious...school me.
    I think that, as the Sigma's lens is made up of 8 elements compared with 7 in the Nikon, the bokeh is a little bit 'creamier'. Certainly having looked at many picture comparisons I prefer the results of the Sigma. Also the Sigma is a much bigger piece of glass which helps to reduce vignetting.

I'm not saying the Nikkor is a bad lens, far from it, but if I'd bought it then I know I'd have always pined for the slightly more expensive Sigma.

Real Name
    Jim

You could try this technique with your 50mm.
    http://www.kirpi.it/Photo/Reverse-le...reflex-cameras