Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: few horse jumping shots

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    few horse jumping shots

    for your review

    thierry

    few horse jumping shots


    few horse jumping shots

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,982
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    As you know, I admire your work enormously. These just add to that sense of admiration.

    I particularly like that angle for shooting that you adopt for #2. I would describe it as three--quarter view (people who shoot portraits would know a much better technical term). You have used it before and I believe it contributes to a great sense of energy, power and movement in the image.

  3. #3
    Snarkbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Posts
    468
    Real Name
    Al

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Like Donald, I do admire your work, Thierry. Both of these are tack-sharp, but #2 is the clear winner here. In photo #1, there is a bright bit of tape on the horse's right foreleg, which is unfortunately close to an identical bright spot in the background (just to the photo left of the foreleg). In combination with the star on the horse's forehead, these 3 spots form a triangle, which has an annoying tendency to direct my attention exactly at the horse's nostril. I would recommend removing one (or preferably both) of the bright lower elements, so the triangle disappears. I'm not crazy about the little awning over the plant in front of the horse in #1, either, but it can't be removed or cropped without ruining the shot, so I guess it has to stay.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Panama City, FL
    Posts
    3,542
    Real Name
    Chris

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Just because I really don't like wasted space and wanted to further explore Al's illuminations as per the two photos, I took it upon myself to see how a tighter crop might look. I think the tighter crop works better with the image as it really pushes you to look at the directed concentration of the rider. I also darkened the bars down a bit to keep them from competing with the rider's jompers. Hope you don't mind the re-imaging. I think everyone would agree your images are always dead-on sharp which I am sure causes great envy - it certainly does me.

    few horse jumping shots

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,732
    Real Name
    james

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Great images! I like Chris' crop, it directs my attention to horse then rider. stunning!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    East Coast of Canada
    Posts
    873
    Real Name
    Myra

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Thierry, those are both just lovely. I'm not positive, but it could be that cloning things out might not be an option if these are destined for a magazine or newsletter? Such an effective angle on the second one and both have frozen the moment perfectly.

  7. #7
    rob marshall

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    That's a lovely pony in shot #2 - he looks so keen and seems to be really enjoying it. I prefer the edit view that Chris did. It's so difficult at events to get the background stuff reduced.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Thanks a lot to all for your comments and reviews.

    In horse jumping tournaments, the back gropund is still a very difficcult stuff to manage. The very intsresting crop proposal of Chris reduces significantly the disturbing background elements but my feeling (and that's just and only a feeling...) reduces a little bit the dynamic aspect. My first proposal seems to increase the dynamic but the reading of the picture is a little bit more difficult due to tbackground

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Thierry, those are both just lovely. I'm not positive, but it could be that cloning things out might not be an option if these are destined for a magazine or newsletter? Such an effective angle on the second one and both have frozen the moment perfectly.
    Thanks Myra

    I am not a professional photographer. I am just an hobby photographer addict of horse photography and fan of riding activities.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    Just because I really don't like wasted space and wanted to further explore Al's illuminations as per the two photos, I took it upon myself to see how a tighter crop might look. I think the tighter crop works better with the image as it really pushes you to look at the directed concentration of the rider. I also darkened the bars down a bit to keep them from competing with the rider's jompers. Hope you don't mind the re-imaging. I think everyone would agree your images are always dead-on sharp which I am sure causes great envy - it certainly does me.
    Thanks a lot for your review and proposal. Such proposal allows positive and productive discussions, that's for me the aim of photo forum

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    To potentially launch a talk B&w vs colopr in horse jumping please find here below color version of the #2

    few horse jumping shots

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Thinking to Chris proposal, I tried a mixed up reducing background, preserving dynamic and height of the fence

    Your comments are of interest of course z

    few horse jumping shots

    few horse jumping shots

  13. #13
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,982
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Quote Originally Posted by tb72 View Post
    To potentially launch a talk B&w vs colopr in horse jumping please find here below color version of the #2
    Thierry

    In my opinion, the colour version is just a very ordinary shot. It has no energy or dynamism. It is well-timed and sharp ... but that is all. The B & W is a work of art.

    EDIT - And, as I was writing the above, you posted two more versions. It is my view that your original B & W is still the best of the set.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Thanks Donald

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Panama City, FL
    Posts
    3,542
    Real Name
    Chris

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Sorry, Donald (and I rarely disagree with your valued opinion), but the flag, the bush, the light jump poles, etc...are distractions and are doing nothing whatsoever to direct the eye to the rider and horse, therefore, they have to go or lose significant tonal value.

    I like Thierry's combo of my idea and his re-edit. I would, however, darken the forepost on the left side of the frame. It is so white as to almost overpower the rest of the scene. Having the whole image to work with presents this as a much more dynamic image. Thierry's pulling it back to the right a bit really pushes the viewer up, into and in anticipation of the landing. Well done!

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Thanks Chris

    I darkened a little bit white elements of the fence

    few horse jumping shots

  17. #17
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Could this be a candidate for a B & W photo with only the horse and rider in muted color? Or would that make it too gimmicky? I'm thinking of subduing the distracting background details...

    I love the look of concentration on the riders face in the first shot!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 16th May 2011 at 05:26 PM.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Could this be a candidate for a B & W photo with only the horse and rider in muted color? Or would that make it too gimmicky? I'm thinking of subduing the distracting background details...

    I love the look of concentratiopn on the riders face in the first shot!
    Hi Frank,

    Sorry but my rough english does not allow me to understand your question. If you have any idea of special post processing feel free to submit it.

    Thanks for your comment

  19. #19
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    This is the beauty of a well exposed and captured shot, you can have a lot of ways to frame it and do the edit. I think, whatever you do with this one Thierry, it will still come out as a winner. Personally, I like both the colored and the b&w version. I'll take both in any day. Awesome shot, Sir.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: few horse jumping shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    This is the beauty of a well exposed and captured shot, you can have a lot of ways to frame it and do the edit. I think, whatever you do with this one Thierry, it will still come out as a winner. Personally, I like both the colored and the b&w version. I'll take both in any day. Awesome shot, Sir.
    Thanks Willie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •