Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Any comments on the Sony a55 DSLR.

Real Name
    David

Any comments on the Sony a55 DSLR.

Hi There, I'm new to DSLR cameras and serious of purchasing a Sony a55 DSLR camera with twin lens kit, [18-55mm and 55-200mm]. If anyone has a Sony a55 DSLR, I would like there comments if there happy or dissapointed with the camera. My main photography I like to do will be Landscapes and Closeups, eg. Flowers-Insects.

Real Name
    James

Re: Any comments on the Sony a55 DSLR.

I was looking at upgrading my camera and it was between the A55 and the A580. The A55 is a very nice camera. Technically it's a SLR and not a DSLR, because it uses a translucent mirror.

I went and played with both at a local camera shop and both are very nice cameras. I ended up going with the A580 for a few reasons. First the A55 uses a digital viewfinder which I could not get used to. Second, battery life is significantly shorter than the A580. There are a few things that I liked about the A55 that the A580 couldnt do. The A55 can continuously AF while shooting video and while shooting at 10 frames per second. But for landscapes and closeups it doesnt really matter for you. Also the A55's screen can fully flip around while not using it to protect it which is nice, the A580's tilts but can not flip around.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Real Name
    Elie

Quote Originally Posted by tw0bears View Post
    I was looking at upgrading my camera and it was between the A55 and the A580. The A55 is a very nice camera. Technically it's a SLR and not a DSLR, because it uses a translucent mirror.

I went and played with both at a local camera shop and both are very nice cameras. I ended up going with the A580 for a few reasons. First the A55 uses a digital viewfinder which I could not get used to. Second, battery life is significantly shorter than the A580. There are a few things that I liked about the A55 that the A580 couldnt do. The A55 can continuously AF while shooting video and while shooting at 10 frames per second. But for landscapes and closeups it doesnt really matter for you. Also the A55's screen can fully flip around while not using it to protect it which is nice, the A580's tilts but can not flip around.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Excellent thoughts.

I also have tried the A55 and could not get myself to like the electronic viewfinder. Call me old-fashioned but I am used to seeing through simple optics. That said, look through one and you might find that it is ok by you.

Real Name
    Robin

Technically its neither a SLR or a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) its a SLT (Single Lens Translucent) camera. Contra to what Sony will tell you its is not the first or the only one - Canon did it years ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_RT though I suppose Sony could claim they make the only current models.

I personally don't have an issue with using EVF's and in the Sony you get one of the very best plus they have some significant advantages over the traditional optical versions.

WYSIWYG - If you have a particular mode set on the camera you see it live - mono for instance - also the virtual horizon is awesome, the amount of info that can be displayed is customisable and last but not least you see the shot after you've taken it without having to take your eye away.

It is very, very sharp - a friend uses one for macro photography and has increased his keeper rate significantly over his older A350, even when using it with a Sony 100mm macro lens and three extension tubes on the front.

If you want to shoot video - lots do and before anyone starts with "Its an abomination and cameras didn't do that in my day" rubbish, if we all thought that we'd still be painting silver solutions onto our own plates prior to taking a few minute exposure - it is the best in class. None of the DSLR's can AF in a usable way when shooting video while the Sony can and does so very, very well.

Other things about the camera:

It has a very good sensor - Nikon use it in their D7000 and Pentax use it in their K5 - one of the best in fact.

It can belt along at 7 frames per second - class leading - and if you're happy to lose all control over what the camera is doing it can even run at 10FPS.

It is small and light while still feeling well made.

The articulated screen is brilliant. Live View is pretty much a waste of time on a camera that doesn't have this feature. I have used mine a few times when the camera is on the tripod at eye-level just so I can stand back and watch whats happening with comfort but otherwise its pointless. Being able to change the screens position changes that and allows shooting in situations where it just isn't possible in a traditional camera.

Blisterss99 - go try one in a good photography shop and see what you feel about it. This is often more important that any one feature. If you like the feel you will love the camera, if you aren't comfortable with it you will never get to love it in use and will hanker after something else. Put it up against say a Canon EOS550D - about the same price and the closest in its feature set with a traditional design. If the sales person starts to bang on about Canon this Nikon that please, please ignore them and make your own mind up.

BP
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 15th May 2011 at 08:14 AM.

Real Name
    David

Thanks for your reply tw0bears. I hadn't seen the A580, so I just checked it out on the net with good reports and as you said close to the A55. I am still leaning towards to the A55. I didn't mention that prior to starting to learn still photography, I was doing quite a bit of videoing of motocross and airoplanes, so I think the AF videoing will be handy at times.
    As I've lately been playing with my old compact camera, I am getting more satifaction from still photography. Thanks again for reassuring me on the Sony. I cannot wait to post some photo for the critics.

Real Name
    David

Hi xeliex, Thank you for your reply. As I've just started with still photography and this being be my 1st serious camera, starting to look through the electronic viewfinder should be fine....I hope!

Real Name
    David

Hi black pearl, Over the last few months I have been doing some researching in magazines and on the net about cameras and photography hints, [hence coming across this great site] for what camera I may need. I haven't handled these cameras much as I didn't want to be too annoying asking about "this one and that one" while trying to decide. The decision on the A55 was the Single Lens Translucent, articulated screen, [as I like to put myself in some scenery scenes] and the 3D Sweep Panorama mode.

I believe that asking questions in a forum like this one, you can trust the expert advice you receive more than reading an article. Thank you black pearl and others for replying and reassuring me that the A55 is a decent camera to purchase.

I'd go with the A55 body and then find good used AF Minolta lenses to outfit your camera with. They're nothing short of spectacular. Here's a link to a guide that I follow. The author is a sharp fella.

The Georgian Town of Bewdley, Worcestershire
    Real Name
    Jim Collins.

Hi edtechfox, I only joined yesterday but I'm very pleased I did. The link you posted is great for us Sony owners. I have an A700 + Sony 16-80 and the Sigma 70-200 2.8 + 2x converter (not so much a cheap skate, just financially challenged! l.o.l). Both lens's seem fine to me, but I'm far from an expert. So many thanks for posting. Take care Jim..

Real Name
    David

Hi all, I thank you all for you comments. As the Sony a55 is a very nice camera with great features, I have just purchased a Nikon D5100 last Thursday, 26/5/11. My reason was the a55 model is nearly 2years old and the EVF [even through it was good to look through] I was not sure. As a novice, last Sunday I went to Brisbane airport to experiment with the setting. Even as some photos were over/under exposed, bit blurred, I learn't alot with playing around with the settings. This is one of the many photos I took. Hope to show you more as I progress.

Any comments on the Sony a55 DSLR.